2017 Raptor

you will notice in my post I don't have the heavy 6.2. I have an automatic transmission and have a weapons locker in the bed and a locking bead cover. I try to drive and not  just steer the vehicle. It makes a difference if you pay attention to the traffic and what is ahead of you. Red lights kill your gas mileage. You can also verify my statement with the on board computer. BTW I run whatever the cheapest gas there is.

Forty five years of driving many different vehicles all over the world have given me a few skills.

:cheers:

TS

Who cares about MPG, its all about style.... :devil:

mhylrmm1n52ixhxnlugh_zpsxsdektn5.jpg

• Like 1

BTW, this thread is worthless without pics.   :D

Not a Raptor but a 5.0 2014 STX Sport 4x4

I am getting 17.3 according to the onboard calculator, I believe the 5.4 gets similar.   

From reading the F150 forum I think it is accepted fact the Ecoboost tows better than the 5.0.  I am not sold on the longevity of the Eco so I opted for the V8.  Love the sounds it makes.

f1df1339-62f9-4d14-8c88-e7a758c5fc58.jpg

• Like 1

I have driven both correctly sized turbo engines and oversized turbo engines with large amounts of lag. As well as naturally aspirated engines of all sorts.

The main problem I have is lack of throttle response with the smaller engines whether they have forced induction or not. Only difference is with forced induction the power comes on later. I prefer linear power delivery of a large displacement engine.

That's just simply not true, some of these new cars put out almost peak torque at sub 2000rpm ranges and it stays almost perfectly flat through 7000 rpm.  NA gas motors cannot do that.  BMW has one of the best torque management systems, but since we're talking about Fords, here is a v6 ecoboost dyno sheet, 100% stock out of an F150, this thing has almost 325 wtq at 2000 rpm.

Superchips-F150-EcoBoost-Dyno-Chart.png

Here's some more info, with nothing more than a chip (and still on 87 octane) you can get 417 tq @ 2300RPM on these little things.  and remember this is a canned tune, not a custom one.  http://www.ridepros.com/updates/superchips-vivid-flashpaq-tuner-2011-ford-f150-ecoboost

And lastly, those are from the 2011 engines, the new raptor engine was already said to put down more power than the old 6.2L motor and I can guarantee it will have more torque.... and lower in the rpm band than the 6.2's.

I'm a diesel guy myself.  It will take a lot for me to turn back to gas.  My 7,000+ lb sled still gets around ~18mpg, and the specs are 275hp @ 2800 rpm and 525 lb-ft @ 1600rpm.  I have pulled some heavy weight on the tongue, and I am still just amazed at the power, stability, and braking this machine has, and just a very minor drop in MPG.  She is little old, 2002 F250 crew cab, but she is just fine.  According to research, these are 500K mile engines, and I have only 140K one owner, so I guess I have a long way to go till its EOF.  BTW, of the other trucks on the road that Raptor does catch my eye on looks every now then like some young women do, but trade my rolling coal maker, no way, trade my wife for one of those young women  :waiting: .............no way!

• Like 1

in My 2011 I Supercrew I averaged 12MPH no matter how I drove it, for me I did not buy the truck for fuel economy, but the 2017 Eco Boost will have more torque and horsepower than the last Raptors and get better fuel  economy I am definitely getting one I just hope the Supercrew comes out along side with the cab model and not a year later

Having said that if I still owned a current gen Raptor I would keep it, and not trade it in they are awesome trucks and I miss mine but I do love what I traded it in for

this is all the V8 I need believe me

fa5520b95c7e114ab28bd9b4662487e3_zps61a1

Edited by willis68
  • Like 4

in My 2011 I Supercrew I averaged 12MPH no matter how I drove it, for me I did not buy the truck for fuel economy, but the 2017 Eco Boost will have more torque and horsepower than the last Raptors and get better fuel economy I am definitely getting one I just hope the Supercrew comes out along side with the cab model and not a year later

Having said that if I still owned a current gen Raptor I would keep it, and not trade it in they are awesome trucks and I miss mine but I do love what I traded it in for

Willis, that is one of my favorite Mustang models. Love the color too. The wife always wanted a Raptor. The ecoboost sounds promising.
  • Like 1

in My 2011 I Supercrew I averaged 12MPH no matter how I drove it, for me I did not buy the truck for fuel economy, but the 2017 Eco Boost will have more torque and horsepower than the last Raptors and get better fuel  economy I am definitely getting one I just hope the Supercrew comes out along side with the cab model and not a year later

I had a Vista Blue 2008 GT500 and a Race Red 2013 BOSS 302. I miss the BOSS the most. :(

• Like 2

I read an article this morning that suggested when the GT500 is reintroduced on the S550 platform that it too will have the Ecoboost living under the hood. With the Ford GT spec of course.

I heard some time ago that it was going to be a twin turbo 5.0 and called Mach I. :shrug:

I heard some time ago that it was going to be a twin turbo 5.0 and called Mach I. :shrug:

Doubt anyone is going to be doing a TTV8 anytime soon when you can crank 600hp out of a V6 and still meet the ridiculous emissions requirements coming out from the EPA without being considered a gas guzzler.

• Like 1

Doubt anyone is going to be doing a TTV8 anytime soon when you can crank 600hp out of a V6 and still meet the ridiculous emissions requirements coming out from the EPA without being considered a gas guzzler.

You may well be correct: however, the 5.0 isn't in the gas guzzler category like the GT500 was, and I don't think Ford will allow the Hellcat to go unanswered. People have pushed the Roadrunner engine past 750 RWHP before the input shaft gave out, so it's feasible.

You may well be correct: however, the 5.0 isn't in the gas guzzler category like the GT500 was, and I don't think Ford will allow the Hellcat to go unanswered. People have pushed the Roadrunner engine past 750 RWHP before the input shaft gave out, so it's feasible.

Both the hellcat and the c7z06 are supercharged v8s, not twin turbos but still forced induction v8s.

The hellcat is so ridiculous that I'm not sure GM or Ford will try to surpass it in pure numbers. I think Ford will simply try to make a better car with its lighter weight but less than 700hp. Not sure about GM but they do have the Lt4 @ 650hp they could drop in the 6th gen Camaro in either zl1 or z28 trim.

Beyond 700hp is nearly impossible to keep under control in rwd . That much power needs AWD to be effective but a muscle car should be rwd. I'm anxious to see how the new Grand Cherokee with the Hellcat does. Trackhawk I believe it will be called. AWD + 707hp should be interesting even with that much weight.
  • Like 1

I think Ford has already answered for the Hellcat, I would be delighted if my 5.8 Trinity motor would be the last V8 Gt500

Bone stock my 2014 has 620 at the wheels, the Hellcat Challenger weighs 594LBS more and gets around 635 to the wheels, here Kitty Kitty :cool:

Edited by willis68

Both the hellcat and the c7z06 are supercharged v8s, not twin turbos but still forced induction v8s.

The hellcat is so ridiculous that I'm not sure GM or Ford will try to surpass it in pure numbers. I think Ford will simply try to make a better car with its lighter weight but less than 700hp. Not sure about GM but they do have the Lt4 @ 650hp they could drop in the 6th gen Camaro in either zl1 or z28 trim.

Beyond 700hp is nearly impossible to keep under control in rwd . That much power needs AWD to be effective but a muscle car should be rwd. I'm anxious to see how the new Grand Cherokee with the Hellcat does. Trackhawk I believe it will be called. AWD + 707hp should be interesting even with that much weight.

No argument there, but being capable of controlling it has never seemed to stop people from buying them. But switching to the Coyote/Roadrunner engine, (plus the disagreements with Shelby Co), is why Ford was looking at the change from the GT500 to the Mach I. I got that from the car-buyer for Jay Leno a few years ago. They get briefed by all of the major car players. Originally, the Mach I was to be a replacement for the GT500 when Shelby's contract expired. Whether it happens, who knows?

I think Ford has already answered for the Hellcat, I would be delighted if my 5.8 Trinity motor would be the last V8 Gt500

Bone stock my 2014 has 620 at the wheels, the Hellcat Challenger weighs 594LBS more and gets around 635 to the wheels, here Kitty Kitty :cool:

It is a pretty hefty pig at that!

Personally, I'm done with performance cars with crazy horsepower. I absolutely loved my BOSS 302 with its mere 450HP. I had no problems keeping up with my friend's 650HP GT500 on both the Tail Of The Dragon and the Diamondback. Damn! I miss that car!