Updates: Ever changing BS!

WHY?  Constant phone, tablet and desktop updates.  CONSTANTLY.  

Every time I turn around, update this, update that.  The damn Playstation needs an update. Oh, now the phone needs another one.  Nope, iTunes won't work anymore until you let us screw it all up and make you learn to use a totally different layout. WTF could POSSIBLY need so much fixing?  If that ain't bad enough, WHY do they have to rearrange stuff every few months?  Just about the time I get used to the layout of my web browser, the update rearranges the location of all the functions.  Is there really a legitimate reason for this?  This thread need not devolve into an indictment of my own assbackward stupidity and unwillingness to accept change [but it will, and that's cool :cool: ]

Can any of you REALLY give one single LEGITIMATE reason why?  I doubt it.

• Like 1
I hate it when the updates include layout and format changes. Why do they need to change it every time I get comfortable. Tapa talk rolls out a new version every few months now and I have to relearn everything. And Facebook seems to just get slower and slower with each update. And I don't have much time for games, so every time I wanna play Xbox it has a new update.

Sent from the backwoods
Lots of the updates are QOS stuff to fix certain user-level glitches. Port management, interface, command line interfaces...

In English: a bunch of schiesser that doesnt help the average person on their level...just quality assurance.

Just move to Linux Distros, you have a lot more control on what gets updated and why.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I hate it when the updates include layout and format changes. Why do they need to change it every time I get comfortable. Tapa talk rolls out a new version every few months now and I have to relearn everything. And Facebook seems to just get slower and slower with each update. And I don't have much time for games, so every time I wanna play Xbox it has a new update.

Sent from the backwoods

I purchased the Xbox one master chief collection a couple weeks ago, 7 hours to update and download the games.    :wall:

Lots of the updates are QOS stuff to fix certain user-level glitches. Port management, interface, command line interfaces...
In English: a bunch of schiesser that doesnt help the average person on their level...just quality assurance.
Just move to Linux Distros, you have a lot more control on what gets updated and why.

Most Android tablets, android cell phones and Chrome Books already use some form of Linux. I'm already looking for a new lapto on sale to just run Linux on.
I used both my wife's HP Envy M5 and my Lenovo ThinkPad running Win8.1 and reimaged them with 3 partitions...ubuntu 14, Kali and CentOS.

Ubuntu, Mint and ArchLinux have plenty of depositories for drivers and hardware of all sorts no matter what rig.

Here's a CRAZY thought;  Why don't they get it right BEFORE they release it?  

*gasp* ohh Caster, that's what you get for not having an education little man, we just can't do that.  

Yeah, well maybe they should hire some people who CAN.  

Edited by Caster
  • Like 1

Because nobody can break it like a user.....

and there's always some enterprising hacker who's looking for zero day exploits or there's some odd combination of button clicks that QA didn't figure out. 

Plus it's not just the device, every company has release cycles and emergency patches. So your phone needs updates, the apps need updates, the software that interfaces with your computer needs updates, the computer has new features or vulnerabilities that need patching. Meanwhile, outside of your house, the network providers need to update their switches or replace cables, then in the company that made the product has guys like me who have to watch for security flaws or deploy updates to servers or workstations... and we have software platforms that come from vendors and THEY have updates as well.

That's just tech man.....

*gasp* ohh Caster, that's what you get for not having an education little man, we just can't do that.  

Yeah, well maybe they should hire some people who CAN.  

How can they fix it if end users don't pay to beta test their stuff?  LOL

Doesnt help that I can teach my brother in law who is 13 to boot up a BackTrack or Kali Linux image to tank a router or switch...

When it is that simple for Johnny Citizen to CyWar your butt, lots of security updates and patches go into it. The cyber domain is ever-evolving. Its like SUCOAIDS...Super Computer AIDS...

Would you rather spend 10 mins getting an update or waiting a week for some 4chan nerd running 100 VMs of Kali in a botnet flooding your ISP's routers with hping3.

Then the server admins have to keep the hub unplugged and take all week pouring over their wireshark caches figuring out where they went wrong and crying tears of layoff.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk Edited by CommsNBombs

I must live under a rock, I never do get any updates. But I only used a Desktop PC too and windows 7. Maybe things get updated when I am away.

Kinda of reminds me something that Dad taught me about camping, when going camping as a kid, I use to prepare for everything and bring everything, he said son the more you take, the more you have to bring back, and more you have to lose and more you have to contend with.  Well in a weird way I kinda make a comparison, I don't do apps, I don't do much of anything, other that was said earlier Youtube, TGO, and I surf the news.  Nothing more really.  Though I have a smartphone, I just don't use much more than phone calls, texts, and occasional look at the weather.

• Like 1

I guess it is better to beat the competitor to the punch and release a crappy product rather than to be second with a much better product.

The new trend with gaming is paying for early access. A lot of Indie gaming companies now ask you to pay upwards of $30 to play their game while they test it for release. Sometimes that goes on for years. Minecraft is a perfect example. Another one is Kerbal Space Program. You could buy it as early as 2011 and play while they added/changed things. The official release date was in April of 2015.

The large players like Microsoft do this as well but usually without the fee. Microsofts WIndows 10 Insider Preview has been available for quite awhile. Operating systems are huge though, it's easy to overlook bugs and miss out on driver compatibility etc.

Updates?  Let's see... I have an old Mac, old laptop with XP, old TV (has S-Video input! :up:  ), rooted phone (rejects updates), laserdisc player, and a record player.  I'd say I need an update but I like being obsolete.  -_-