Would like input on purchasing a bolt action rifle

Pete123

I'm going to purchase a bolt action .308.

It will mainly be used for shooting at the range for fun and not for competition. 

The most important considerations are a good trigger and accuracy and reasonable pricing.  Based on what I've read in reviews, there is no need to get an expensive rifle as entry level priced ones meet my needs.

The two rifles that are catching my attention most are:

Savage 19700 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP Bolt 308 Win 22" LH Nikon Scope Syn Stk Blk

and the:

Mossberg 27911 Patriot Bolt 308 Win 22" 5+1 Laminate Gray Stk Silver Marinecote

Based on Internet research, the Savage is consistently listed as one of the highest quality bolt actions and has been for years.  I can get a left handed model and I'm left handed.

The Mossberg Patriot is new.  The model I'm looking at comes with a laminate stock which looks nice.  Reviews on this gun are good, though the model hasn't stood the test of time as it came out last year.  This gun isn't available in a left handed model.

Your input would be appreciated.

Well, I got it ordered with a wood stock.  That Mossberg looks sharp with the laminate stock, though I know I'll be happier with this one.

I try to support TGO folks and had placed my order before seeing Hozzie's rifle, though I'm not sure I'm a good enough shot to take advantage of the scope he has on there.

I appreciate everyone's input.

I haven't shot one of the Mossbergs but the 3 or 4 rifles I handled over the past year and a half felt very sloppy.

They may be good shooters, haven't read many reviews. But with a Savage you know you have an accurate rifle with great aftermarket options like Dolomite referenced.
Not that it matters, but yea, Savage. Not impressed with the Mossbergs I've played with. I'm not really a bolt rifle guy (yet) but DID go through a search over a year ago when I bought a .270. I was keeping it fairly cheap and ended up choosing a Marlin XL7 and am very happy with it, especially since it was under $300. Much nicer finish than the Mossberg, and smoother action than the Ruger American. For some reason an Axis in .270 just wasn't to be found when I was looking, as that might have been in the running.

Since then I've gotten a Smith AR10 and now I want to add a bolt brother to the pack for it. It'll be a nicer Savage. This one's got me all worked up, but I like a nice wood stock, too... I dunno what to do!!
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/savage-10pt-sr-308-winchester-bolt-action-rifle?repChildCatid=1320220

I've been a Savage fan ever since my parents bought me my first one about 18 years ago. Had a couple since then and always great shooters. 

I have never owned a Weatherby but always heard great things - the Vanguard S2 is not made in the USA but comes with the sub-MOA guarantee from a cold hammer forged barrel and a two stage trigger. Trying to read up on this model and see if it is worth the extra money.

The reason I am considering something new - my current bolt action is a Savage 111 FCXP3 (pre-accutrigger 3 screw adjustable, flat rear receiver with box mag) 30-06 and is a great rifle. A couple of my loads are 5 shot sub-moa groups all day long. But I have an itch for something different and newer.

I could buy another Savage, or some other brand, and it may never shoot quite as well as this one. So it is an internal debate. I am also considering dropping down to .308. I could just replace the barrel but need a new stock as well so a newer model rifle could come in around the same cost.

New stock has nothing to do with barrel swap. Just something more comfortable to shoot than the factory straight comb stock. If I spend the money to do a barrel swap, particularly if swapped to .308 for more target shooting, need something more ergonomic to settle behind.

I've been a Savage fan ever since my parents bought me my first one about 18 years ago. Had a couple since then and always great shooters. 

I have never owned a Weatherby but always heard great things - the Vanguard S2 is not made in the USA but comes with the sub-MOA guarantee from a cold hammer forged barrel and a two stage trigger. Trying to read up on this model and see if it is worth the extra money.

The reason I am considering something new - my current bolt action is a Savage 111 FCXP3 (pre-accutrigger 3 screw adjustable, flat rear receiver with box mag) 30-06 and is a great rifle. A couple of my loads are 5 shot sub-moa groups all day long. But I have an itch for something different and newer.

I could buy another Savage, or some other brand, and it may never shoot quite as well as this one. So it is an internal debate. I am also considering dropping down to .308. I could just replace the barrel but need a new stock as well so a newer model rifle could come in around the same cost.

I figured Weatherby would be too expensive and didn't consider them.  The Vanguard seems to be on a lot of the best of lists. 

Heck, you already have a Savage, so why not give the Vanguard a try?