U.S Marines stop shooter on French train

DaveTN

Gosh that press network is as bad as the American press is. They sure did want to avoid telling the world that the Americans were Marines and kept calling them civilians instead of Marines. Typical French I guess. They hate to admit that had it not been for American Armed Forces, France would belong to Germany and they still don't want to give credit where credit is due........... :rant: .

• Like 2

Typical French I guess. They hate to admit that had it not been for American Armed Forces, France would belong to Germany and they still don't want to give credit where credit is due........... :rant: .

This is such bs. Go over there and talk to some of them. The ones that were there have never forgotten what the Americans did for them. What I would get sick of too is an American always having to bring that up after 70 years. I spend a lot of time over there and have never once been treated rudely by anyone. I also don't act like a know it all American, may have something to do with it.

Sorry if I come across strong, but I find this to be a completely ignorant statement (in the literal sense of the term). Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2

This is such bs. Go over there and talk to some of them. The ones that were there have never forgotten what the Americans did for them. What I would get sick of too is an American always having to bring that up after 70 years. I spend a lot of time over there and have never once been treated rudely by anyone. I also don't act like a know it all American, may have something to do with it.

Sorry if I come across strong, but I find this to be a completely ignorant statement (in the literal sense of the term).

In my experience I will have to agree with bersaguy, been there and while in uniform I was pretty much looked down upon.  Once we switched to civies it was like night and day.  Same experience in Italy, 180 once in civies, in Germany and Japan not so much treated the same, decent, in both while in uniform and civies.  One thing I did notice is that much of the attitude came from the younger generations, older folks were much nicer.  I don't know what it is, maybe they have had bad experiences with Americans in the past but I definitely noticed a difference.

• Like 1

In my experience I will have to agree with bersaguy, been there and while in uniform I was pretty much looked down upon.  Once we switched to civies it was like night and day.  Same experience in Italy, 180 once in civies, in Germany and Japan not so much treated the same, decent, in both while in uniform and civies.  One thing I did notice is that much of the attitude came from the younger generations, older folks were much nicer.  I don't know what it is, maybe they have had bad experiences with Americans in the past but I definitely noticed a difference.

There was always friction near bases overseas, once you got a few miles away, the locals were 'usually' pretty nice.  Same thing in all three countries.

The only attribute I could associate with it was that near the base, the locals had to put up with the drunken, boisterous soldiers and got fed up with it because it was their home too.  The locals further out never really dealt with the issue because the drunks & trouble makers never really seemed to make it more than one town away from base.

I was only in France a short time and while in uniform I got that snubbed nose look from many of the French. Glad I was just almost passing through and not spending any time there.  I did meet some of the older class of people and their attitudes were all together different. Very friendly towards us.

Im hearing that they were USAF, not Marines...

Yeah. MSN's saying an Ohio NG solider, a USAF Airman and a College student with assists by a Brit, Frenchman and French Actor. I see the media winging it on this story with the actual facts being absent. Someone's going to make a movie out of this before its all over. But regardless kudo's to all involved who stood their ground and fought back and won!