You're in a theater and then this happens. What would you do?

jgradyc

My wife and I went to movie last week and one of the theater personnel walked through in the middle of the movie.  I'm always thinking about scenarios and seeing someone walking around during the movie triggered me to think, "What would I do if the following scenario happened?"

You're watching a movie with your wife/girlfriend in a theater after dark. There are a lot of people in the theater. About halfway through, someone goes to the emergency exit and goes out. From your seat, you can see that the door has been propped open just a little with a stick or something small so he can come back in. What do you do? Oh, and of course, you are armed, regardless of what the signage says.

I'll have to admit that it took me a whole day and several scenarios before I decided what I would do. I changed my mind three times.  So, what would you do? 

Edited by jgradyc

I'd go to the lobby and ask to speak to a manager immediately because there is a potential for disaster. All the while I would be scoping out an escape path just in case. 

One thing I see wrong with your scenario is that when the person opens the emergency exit it's going to set off an alarm. 

Edited by 10-Ring
  • Like 3

Not all of those emergency escape doors are alarmed and once opened a key is required to re-lock them. Bottom line, go to the lobby and advise the managment. Sometimes people prop open those doors to let others sneak in, sometimes they go outside to smoke, it all has the potential to be a bad thing.

• Like 1
Only movies I've seen have been at the drive-in for 12 years or so. We've moved to FL and there ain't a drive in so I guess I wait til everything comes out on dvd.

If there's a threat I'll grab my ar out from under the back seat and join in with all the other guys shooting at the bad guy.

But as to the original question I think there's something odd going on or out of place at a theater, or anywhere, I'm first inclined to gtfo.

Grab the hatchet out of my backpack

Really??

I'd pull the door shut, then exit the theater with my family and dial 911. That's outrageously suspicious behavior and I'd rather over respond than ignore it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would leave.and then call 911 on the way  out.There is always a " what if ?" I rather be called an drama queen than knowing something was about to happen and not do anything.I got a pretty good sense of intuition ..Lats time I got a weird feeling all day and talked about it to my husband telling him something will happen..then around 1 am someone tried to break into the house. Coincidence perhaps.. still creepy :)
Trust yourself  and your spidersense")

I would just see what happens.

I am not going to snitch to the fuzz; people go outside like that to make calls, smoke a cig or let other people in.

If they were coming in to shoot the place up you would see a weapon and take proper measures.

No need to be paranoid and act like scared old women.

Aurora was an anomoly and a one-time thing, if not for that no one would worry.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I'd keep an eye in that direction and go ahead and tuck my shirt behind my holster.  If nothing happens, then I continue enjoying the movie in peace.  If something does, I'm prepared. 

But the thing is that you scenario would never happen to me.  I don't go to the theater after dark.  I'm matinee only and almost always on Friday while everyone else is at work and in school.  

• Like 1

I am always vigilant, whether at a theater, pumping gas, or whatever.  Body language should let you know if they are up to no-good, but before calling anyone or acting in an aggressive manner I would make sure there was a danger to me or others.  They may be just smoking or letting others in, in which case it's the theaters problem not mine.  I don't have the time or inclination to be a "goody two shoes" for a commercial enterprise, if they do not alarm the doors and people are sneaking in its something they need to address.  Though there is always a chance of something happening, it's a very slight chance and nothing to get worried over. 

• Like 1

I would tell my wife. "Someone just propped that door open. Let's get out of here NOW! You go to the lobby as quick as you can and tell management. On the way, call 911 and tell them what you saw. I'm going to close that door and I'll be right behind you." 

I'd follow her to the aisle and once I saw she was on her way out, l'd go forward and attempt to close the door. Regardless of whether I could close the door, I would then go after my wife as fast as possible. My wife moves pretty slow and I'm a runner so I'd probably catch up to her before she could even get out of the room. 

If the guy who propped the door open stayed inside, then I would just leave immediately with my wife and call 911 as soon as I was out the door.

Edited by jgradyc