Glock factory barrel's effect on brass

I can never get a solid opinion in this and heck , I may have asked this before so forgive me if I did.  Do you reloaders use your Glock factory barrel when shooting
FMJ or plated bullets ? And if so does this seem to damage or shorten the brass cases ? I ask this
because of how much of the brass cases are unsupported . I have looked and measured and havent seen
much of any bulge at the rear part of the brass. So far I have been shooting my reloads through a few of my Glock barrels and a Lone Wolf barrel that is a 40-9mm conversion barrel. I just want you other reloader's opinion about if the Glock barrels will shorten or weaken the lifespan of the brass. Any information is appreciated and again , sorry if I have asked this before .
All my brass I use for 9mm, 10mm and 45ACP goes through my Glocks with stock barrels. No issues at all with reloads.

The only bulging I notice is on my hotter 10mm loads (9.1gr 800X) - but I do a full resize and a really aggressive crimp and they always slide right into my Lee gauges and Glock barrels.

My 45 gets shared with my SR1911 and P345D and I have yet to have a busted case even though I have had brass put through all those 3 in addition to a Glock 21 and 36.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Ok cool. I'm only reloading 9mm and 45acp . Maybe later on down the line I'll try .40S&W but for now I'll stick with 9 and 45.
I just wanted to make sure my brass would be ok shooting out of the factory barrel with 9 and 45 .

Its good to go

You should melt all your 40 stuff and graduate to real man's 40 and get a 10mm [emoji6] [emoji56] [emoji13]

• Like 1

Reloaded for Glocks in 9mm, 40 S&W, 10mm and 45 ACP. Bullets were lead, plated, coated and jacketed. Never had a problem with the bullets or brass. Reloaded the fired Glock brass.

I do not go over max published loads!!!

Edited by DWARREN123
  • Like 1
Actually, weak chamber support was present on pretty much all earlier models. Without a doubt 40s&w was the caliber to be most concerned. I pretty much load 40s&w to bunny fart pressures, but I shoot all my 40s&w in factory barrels. I sometimes shoot 9mm in a Lone Wolf barrel but I have to be selective on which bullets to load because the lonewolf barrel has a tight chamber and throat. Most 115 gr bullets with a short OAL feed fine. I have shot plenty of lead through factory Glock barrels.
  • Like 1

Its good to go

You should melt all your 40 stuff and graduate to real man's 40 and get a 10mm [emoji6] [emoji56] [emoji13]

You know I have always wanted a G20 and now that I reload , it may be in the very near future :up: . I could pop a deer with one instead of dragging my old smoke pole around the woods :rock:

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1

I haven't owned a Glock in a while, so I was not aware Glock corrected the unsupported chamber issue. I know back when I was shooting one I could easily tell which brass came from my Glock and which came from my other guns. I used blue machinist dye or a blue marker on the headstamps to mark them before resizing and would toss them after they went through the Glock twice. Too much stretching of the brass in the most critical area for my taste. In all fairness, I may be overly paranoid.

I scavenge my 9mm brass and given that some 25% of guns fired where I do that are probably glocks -- you see so many of them -- and that I have never had a piece of brass that would not size and reload due to some sort of bulge (ive had my share of splits and holes blown out, but none bulged beyond fitting in the sizer die) I would have to say that its a non issue.   I did 40s for a while too and never saw any there either. 

My o2.... with 9mm and 45acp in factory Glock barrels, no issues on barrels with the dot in pentagon. Lock up & brass matters in 45 super range, starline used here. I have trouble with .40 & 10mm in all Glock barrels (including latest gen4) passing a gauge check but don't use pass through sizing die. I use long wolf or storm lake barrels for range visits for these calibers and no gauge check issues.

After having shot many thousands of cast bullets through Glocks, I have concluded that this matter is an "internet issue".  Much talked about but seldom seen.

My question is about the brass cases . How was your brass condition ? Any abnormal buldging or anything different from other guns that have supported chambers ?

My question is about the brass cases . How was your brass condition ? Any abnormal buldging or anything different from other guns that have supported chambers ?

I have a Sig and Glock chambered in .40. Both seem to expand more when I load 231 than when I load Power Pistol. That's the only difference I see. I have a Gen 3 G22 that hasn't bulged a case in the few hundred rounds I have run through it with plated 180gr.
I read a lot about the chamber support, and fact or fiction, the truth you can find evidence for is that the feed ramp was moved to the back of the chamber in the Gen 3 models. This seems to be the consensus to have stopped the unsupported chamber.

You know I have always wanted a G20 and now that I reload , it may be in the very near future :up: . I could pop a deer with one instead of dragging my old smoke pole around the woods :rock:

I can help with that...if you like FDE or gray...

• Like 1

Maybe some of the "old" barrels trashed brass.  The new ones aren't really "fully" supported either, but the minor bulge isn't bad.  I reload .40 for USPSA and a lot of it has been fired through Glocks.  The Dillon resizing die I use takes care of it with no issues.

Maybe some of the "old" barrels trashed brass.  The new ones aren't really "fully" supported either, but the minor bulge isn't bad.  I reload .40 for USPSA and a lot of it has been fired through Glocks.  The Dillon resizing die I use takes care of it with no issues.

Have you reloaded and shot any 45acpp in your Glocks with a stock barrel ?

Have you reloaded and shot any 45acpp in your Glocks with a stock barrel ?

I reload and shot 45ACP out of my Gen 4 G21, Gen 3 G36 and my Gen 3 G30 - even with +P factory and handloads I have not had any problems with it - all are factory barrels.

Thats with 230gr XTPs, 220gr Plated and 185gr LSWC with loads varying from 5-6gr of Unique and 4-5.5gr of Bullseye.

No problems at all.

• Like 1

I think in the 10s of thousands of pieces of 9, 40 and 45 brass that I've reloaded, I've not had any that failed to chamber unless they cracked (after being resized in a Dillon resizer - always used Dillon pistol dies).  

If you think about it:

• the die is much harder than the brass;
  • the inside diameter of the die is fixed at whatever tolerances it was manufactured to; and,
  • if the brass goes all the way to the base, it will be resized to fit - if it is so badly bulged, it may crack. 

Most of the issues I've seen when helping folks with issues with 'glock'd brass' is due to:

• bad tolerances;
  • extremely wornout dies (talking old steel dies); or,
  • the die not being properly set
    • for all straight wall cases:
    1. raise the shellholder as high as it will go,
    2. screw in the die until it touches firmly
    3. lower the shellholder and tighten another 1/8-1/16 of a turn and tighten
Edited by Wardor
  • Like 2