Shot for first time in a long time.

So I finally took my first step into my gun hobby by taking intro to handguns at Range USA. I learned some stuff, knew most of it, was a fun class and a fun but short shoot. They let us shoot three guns, a .22, .38 special and my favorite of the three M&P 9mm. 

They started us off with a single shot for about three rounds and then let us fire at will for another 5 or so rounds per gun, I didn't like the .38(too small for comfort) but it was still fun. I forgot to look at the .22 name of gun but has definitely seen better days. This was exactly how I wanted and expected it to go as in I wanted to find a place to shoot where I would feel comfortable and also break the ice and learn exactly what I needed to know so I could go in and safely shoot alone when I wanted. Very friendly experience at Range USA

They seem to have an good rental system there depending on their ammo costs, which I'm sure isn't going to be cheap but hopefully shouldn't be too overpriced. You pay $10 for a rental, buy their ammo and can switch out guns at no extra cost. I'm probably going to go for just the 9mm my first visit. I am curious at how the .40 feels but am going to have to save up some before I try that one also.

I'm a bit on the poor(DMV license snafu) side at the moment so I was thinking about getting a Phoenix or Hi point .22, but wanted some opinions about going this route. I won't buy a gun until I shoot a few rentals but I was thinking for a .22 just as a range gun only, that one of these cheapies might be ok until I can get my feet back under me?  This is just an idea I've been pondering and may just wait and buy a home defense weapon as my first. CC is still a ways off.

So I finally took my first step into my gun hobby by taking intro to handguns at Range USA. I learned some stuff, knew most of it, was a fun class and a fun but short shoot. They let us shoot three guns, a .22, .38 special and my favorite of the three M&P 9mm. 

They started us off with a single shot for about three rounds and then let us fire at will for another 5 or so rounds per gun, I didn't like the .38(too small for comfort) but it was still fun. I forgot to look at the .22 name of gun but has definitely seen better days. This was exactly how I wanted and expected it to go as in I wanted to find a place to shoot where I would feel comfortable and also break the ice and learn exactly what I needed to know so I could go in and safely shoot alone when I wanted. Very friendly experience at Range USA

They seem to have an good rental system there depending on their ammo costs, which I'm sure isn't going to be cheap but hopefully shouldn't be too overpriced. You pay $10 for a rental, buy their ammo and can switch out guns at no extra cost. I'm probably going to go for just the 9mm my first visit. I am curious at how the .40 feels but am going to have to save up some before I try that one also.

I'm a bit on the poor(DMV license snafu) side at the moment so I was thinking about getting a Phoenix or Hi point .22, but wanted some opinions about going this route. I won't buy a gun until I shoot a few rentals but I was thinking for a .22 just as a range gun only, that one of these cheapies might be ok until I can get my feet back under me?  This is just an idea I've been pondering and may just wait and buy a home defense weapon as my first. CC is still a ways off.

Renting them to get the feel of what fits you and what you can shoot well is a good way to go.  I would get something besides a .22, ammo is becoming more available but until it gets to pre-shortage levels I would avoid it.  9mm is what the military uses and has always been available no matter what, though a bit higher priced at times.  There are a plethora of 9mm guns available so you should have no shortage of choices.  I have .40 cals in a Glock23 and an XDs, they are good guns that are fun to shoot and IMHO not much more harder to shoot than a 9mm.

• Like 1

I thought the .40 ammo was more expensive(for some reason?) than what it actually is as I just looked at some prices a little bit ago, so I might be able to check out both when I go to rent. I figure 50 rounds of each should be a descent first range visit. Thank you

Edited by MountainDewed
I would reccomend a 9mm for a first purchase. Ammo is always available, there are great rounds for higher power/self defense and hundreds of 9mm handguns available. Also an added bonus is its extremely easy to load for.

.22s are fun but I do not trust them for self defense, they do not recoil enough to get a real feel for handguns and the ammo availability is scarce.

I hate .40s so I cannot help you there, its a neutered round with horrible ballistics - I would tell you to get a 10mm but since you are still getting cozy a 9mm works very well.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Skip the Phoenix, they are junk. Hi-point gets praise but really only a few dollars off from other choices. Police trade Glocks and m&p's run around 350. Look for shops that do lay away, get what you want. There is a shop near me in Jackson that does 12month(calendar year)lay away with 20% down and minimum $5 a month to keep it active. Edited by Jct1911

I would reccomend a 9mm for a first purchase. Ammo is always available, there are great rounds for higher power/self defense and hundreds of 9mm handguns available. Also an added bonus is its extremely easy to load for.

.22s are fun but I do not trust them for self defense, they do not recoil enough to get a real feel for handguns and the ammo availability is scarce.

I hate .40s so I cannot help you there, its a neutered round with horrible ballistics - I would tell you to get a 10mm but since you are still getting cozy a 9mm works very well.

I don't get your reasoning on the .40; ballistics for the 9mm, .40 and .45 (heck most small arms) have been shown to produce approximately the same wound channels. look at the earlier thread: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/91664-holy-gel-tests-batman/  Mostly it seems to be a matter of personal preference since with the appropriate SD cartridge most any handgun can serve well.

Skip the Phoenix, they are junk. Hi-point gets praise but really only a few dollars off from other choices. Police trade Glocks and m&p's run around 350. Look for shops that do lay away, get what you want. There is a shop near me in Jackson that does 12month(calendar year)lay away with 20% down and minimum $5 a month to keep it active.

I don't know why you would say a Phoenix is junk. I have owned 3 of them and none of them were junk. Each one was very accurate, never had a FTF and would shoot about any ammo out there. I have one right now and still shoot it often at the range with zero problems. The only issue I have with them are they do have more safeties than I like on a gun but that would be my only complaint....JMHO

• Like 2

a friend of mine has a phoenix with 2 barrels, we used the long one.   It is quite fun to shoot, decently accurate and reliable.   That said they are not high round count guns and are prone to wearing out at an accelerated rate due to the construction.  

I won a hi point 45 and its also great for what it is.   The trigger is good, the recoil is mild, it goes bang 100% of the time and the rounds land where you aim them.  Not tried their 22 but their guns work.   If I recall they have a solid service / warranty too.   I would prefer it over the phoenix.

That said, the same money for a new cheapo will net you a decent used one at a show usually.   I would seek out a S&W 22a model for a cheap target .22 practice gun.   I had one and loved it, and you can find them for pretty low prices used.  The difference between a new hi point and a used 22a is probably 50 bucks, if you can swing it.

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1
OP - for a range pinker a .22 is fine but if you're looking for home defense then obviously go with larger caliber. Anytime you mention a popular handgun caliber on a gun forum you're going to get caliber loyalists telling you what to get. My opinion - they all are basically the same and come in enough various loads to give you what you're looking for. Go to the range and shoot some and see what you like and just go from there. Though I do agree that 9mm is probably the cheapest and is more or less always available.
  • Like 1

Well, I have tried about all calibers out there and I have settled on 380's for the most I feel comfortable with for Home and carry. I know a lot of people will say they are just not enough fire power but with the right ammo they do a damn nice job in a gel test. ...........jmho

• Like 1

Well, I have tried about all calibers out there and I have settled on 380's for the most I feel comfortable with for Home and carry. I know a lot of people will say they are just not enough fire power but with the right ammo they do a damn nice job in a gel test. ...........jmho

This. I never understood caliber snobbery and I've felt confidence in any 380 I've ever carried. Edited by suspiciousmind
  • Like 1

This. I never understood caliber snobbery and I've felt confidence in any 380 I've ever carried.

snobbery aside, he said he didn't have a lot of extra gun money right now.   380 costs more than 9s unless you make it, and it adds up.

• Like 1

snobbery aside, he said he didn't have a lot of extra gun money right now.   380 costs more than 9s unless you make it, and it adds up.

Bersa Thunder 380s start at $265.00 and Bersa 9mm begin at over $400.00 at Bud's so where is it that you find 380's cost more than 9mm do?

You may be right, never thought about that. It's been a while since I bought any ammo. Bought quit a bit back several years ago so have not priced any recently................... :ugh: :ugh:

Its enough of a difference to lean towards 9mm.

Plus, the availability is another thing. I can never find 380 when im buying ammo

I seem to be able to find 380 most places I go but then I am looking for 380 to see if I can get a buy on any. I never look at 9mm since I don't own one. That might be why I don't see the cost difference.  A buddy of mine that frequents some of the same places I do and has a few 380's told me of a couple place we go that just got a large stock of 380's Ammo in Remington at a good price and he bought 5 boxes while he was there. 18.00 a box for 50 rounds. That is what I paid about 4 years ago for it................ :cool:

• Like 1

I seem to be able to find 380 most places I go but then I am looking for 380 to see if I can get a buy on any. I never look at 9mm since I don't own one. That might be why I don't see the cost difference.  A buddy of mine that frequents some of the same places I do and has a few 380's told me of a couple place we go that just got a large stock of 380's Ammo in Remington at a good price and he bought 5 boxes while he was there. 18.00 a box for 50 rounds. That is what I paid about 4 years ago for it................ :cool:

I mainly shoot 9mm, 380, and 22lr.....for the range I usually buy  9mm perfecta or freedom munitions  which I  get  for under $11 a box of 50.  Now for  380 I order only freedom munitions when they have it on sale or cheaper shipping.   I get it to the door for under $12 a box....everywhere else around here  it cost $19 or above.   I shoot a lot more 9mm than 380...I keep telling myself i am going to get rid of all my non 9mm or 22lr guns..........well at least I tell myself that!!!!  but you can see 9mm ammo is a lot cheaper!

Yea, ammo.   Made, its almost exactly the same for me... same bullet (using a cheap lead 380 bullet in both) and that leaves just the small powder charge difference (a few grains... 7000 grains is 30 bucks or whatever, a couple of grains is negligible).  But bought, as noted above, its $5 bucks more / box on the average.  Making 9mm about "buy 3 get 1 free" relative to 380 price.   For a round that uses less lead, brass, and powder, mind you -- its pure gouging by the ammo companies.  

• Like 1