Baton carry

To the best of my knowledge as long as you have the certifications, like ASP or Monadnock you are GTG in TN.

I took (actually hosted) a Monadnock class several years back just for this reason. I extrapolated on this a bit and carry a sap. I find them much more useful than a collapsible baton...although I see no problem with an ASP. Personal choice based on previous training and experiences is all.

TN State Law 39-17-1308

(9)  By any person possessing a club or baton who holds a certificate that the person has had training in the use of a club or baton for self-defense that is valid and issued by a certified person authorized to give training in the use of clubs or batons, and is not prohibited from purchasing a firearm under any local, state or federal laws; or

link to that section of law: http://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2010/title-39/chapter-17/part-13/39-17-1308

Edited by prag
I really need to take the cert class. I wonder if they would accept my experience in the Marine Corps Martial Arts program which teaches baton? If I was gonna carry one, I'd find a good quality flat sap. They can be very useful, turn it sideways and it can be used to "knife" into muscle to find pressure points and loosen up joints, while a good resounding smack can disable an arm or knock someone out. Before cell phones became as popular and laundry mats died out, I've seen and have carried a homemade sap. It's a large leather bag with a tail on it. The leather is super thick and sized to hold about 6 dollars in quarters. The tail would be 6-8" of thick flat leather and you tucked it behind your belt to keep it secure. I carried one for awhile and explained it as emergency phone money, or on a trip it was laundry money.

Looks like Fred Perrin is selling them now. It's pretty much a more public friendly version of the lock in a sock.

http://szaboinc.com/freed_perrin/perrin-self-defense-wallet/

Sent from behind the anvil Edited by Spots

BT is a bit of a character isn't he? As to impact weapons I'd stick with a Kubotan for the most part. I carried and used side handle batons and expandable batons for years, was even instructor certified for a time.

I'd just like to be able to carry a decent sap now and then.

- OS

• Like 1
Excuse my ignorance in this but,

If one were CERTIFIED to carry it, would it be legal to carry past the no guns signs or no weapons signs?. We all know LEO can but could a civilian that had certification ? I'm inclined to think yes past a no guns sign but not past a no weapons sign, just thought I'd ask.

.... I'm inclined to think yes past a no guns sign but not past a no weapons sign, just thought I'd ask.

Probably right, push come to shove.

But most signage is gun or gun/knife specific. Seems knives are very much gray anymore though -- meaning, are they still weapons?

- OS

How about a defensive "cane" ? I am actually making one from a rake handle, the handle is screwed and glued with a 45 degree support for extra strength. I'm going to get a 3'8" x 4" deck bolt to drill and drive into the handle for weight and a steel end cap.

No one notices canes, they can't judge weather you need one or not. I have orthopedic hip and lower back issues but I don't need a cane right now but no one who doesn't know me knows that. Build your own, store bought ones are too light. Can't get busted for a cane and carry it where ever there's a no weapon sign.

How about a defensive "cane" ? I am actually making one from a rake handle, the handle is screwed and glued with a 45 degree support for extra strength. I'm going to get a 3'8" x 4" deck bolt to drill and drive into the handle for weight and a steel end cap.

No one notices canes, they can't judge weather you need one or not. I have orthopedic hip and lower back issues but I don't need a cane right now but no one who doesn't know me knows that. Build your own, store bought ones are too light. Can't get busted for a cane and carry it where ever there's a no weapon sign.

My right knee sometimes aches, gets weak, gives out or even briefly locks up on me.  Not often but sometimes.  For that reason, I sometimes carry a cane just in case I need it.  I carry one at work pretty much every day because there are stairs and such and going up and down stairs is usually when my knee will fail.  I have always enjoyed sort of collecting canes, anyway, and have made a couple over the years.  This is the one I have been carrying at work, lately:

IMG_20151019_123557649_HDR.jpg

I turned the shaft on a lathe.  At first, I had intended it to be all one piece with a wooden 'knob' as the handle but changed my mind as I went along.  Instead, I put the knob at the bottom as sort of a pendulum/counterbalance to help the cane swing forward better when walking and used a small horse collar hame as the handle.  I never could get the hame attached to the handle tightly enough to keep it from rattling some when I would use it (it was stable but had just enough play to rattle) so I recently wrapped the part where it attaches to the shaft with paracord with an integrated wrist loop.  I don't carry it specifically for self defense but (as I can't carry a firearm, etc. at work) if I had to press it into use as such I imagine it would get the job done admirably.

This is another I made using a 'twisted' (had a vine growing up it) piece of dogwood that I harvested, myself.  I also turned it on the lathe, a little, just to thin down the top and bottom portions of the shaft as it was too thick and would have been way too heavy to use for a cane, otherwise.  I have a larger hame as the handle on it.

HameHandleTwistedDogwood.jpg

Finally, this is one I made to take with me when I was going on a cruise.  I wasn't sure if the hames on the others would pass getting on and off the ship so I turned another shaft (oak, I think, but I can't remember for sure) and carved/shaped my own variation on a Derby style handle out of cherry.  The ring around the neck of the cane (covering where handle joined shaft) is copper fitting from Home Depot.  It worked great on the cruise and I used it for several months afterward then one day the handle just suddenly broke at a weak spot in the actual grip part of the handle.  That was a complete bummer as this may well have been my favorite of all the canes, hiking sticks and walking sticks I have made.  I have a couple of other handles I am working on that may, eventually, replace the broken one if I can get the remnants of the handle off without ruining the shaft.  I used a bolt and epoxy to attach it in the first place because I wanted the joint to be very strong.  Well, it is strong, alright - I can't get it apart.  I don't have as easy access to the lathe as I once did so I haven't made any in a while.  Just thought I'd show some ideas for canes that would work well as walking aids and, I believe, could function admirably if pressed into a role of self defense device.

Leaning002.jpg

Also, Cold Steel makes this using man-made materials made to look (sort of) like real wood:

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/91PBS/IRISH_BLACKTHORN_WALKING_STICK.aspx

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

Actually one of those all wood canes you generally see in a bix box or barrel for sale at rural King or TSC is a near perfect impact weapon and defensive weapon. They are heavy enough to be used to block, strike or take a person down all while looking rather inoculus to run of the mill folks.

All one needs is a non skid end cap or a metal baseplate. I had one that 's long since walked away with someone else so I need to pick up a couple of replacements for myself. Additionally a solidly made umbrella is an equally effective multi use weapon.   

One of the things I looked for or kept close at hand in no weapons areas were a nice thick newspaper or magazine as either will roll into a very nice impact weapon. Just think outside of the box...there's all kinds of improvised trade craft tricks.

• Like 1

My right knee sometimes aches, gets weak, gives out or even briefly locks up on me.  Not often but sometimes.  For that reason, I sometimes carry a cane just in case I need it.  I carry one at work pretty much every day because there are stairs and such and going up and down stairs is usually when my knee will fail.  I have always enjoyed sort of collecting canes, anyway, and have made a couple over the years.  This is the one I have been carrying at work, lately:

Cool canes, I don't have a lathe but I threw this one together from a rake handle. I made it kinda quick as you can tell, it's fugly, it would have looked better if I had used a better piece of leather and laced it instead of small screws. Im sure someone may realize what it's for when they see the 3/8' x 3-1/2" bolt in the handle. If I had to use it it would probably split but hey, then I would have a sharp stick.  :)

I'm planning on making a stronger, better looking one some day soon.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JMH42/media/Cane_zpsabkxsyyt.jpg.html]Cane_zpsabkxsyyt.jpg[/URL]

Actually one of those all wood canes you generally see in a bix box or barrel for sale at rural King or TSC is a near perfect impact weapon and defensive weapon. They are heavy enough to be used to block, strike or take a person down all while looking rather inoculus to run of the mill folks.
All one needs is a non skid end cap or a metal baseplate. I had one that 's long since walked away with someone else so I need to pick up a couple of replacements for myself. Additionally a solidly made umbrella is an equally effective multi use weapon.
One of the things I looked for or kept close at hand in no weapons areas were a nice thick newspaper or magazine as either will roll into a very nice impact weapon. Just think outside of the box...there's all kinds of improvised trade craft tricks.

If you'll take a solid spine magazine, open it to the mid way point, and lay as many quarters as will fit side by side down the seam, then close and roll it, it makes an amazingly tough impact and thrusting weapon.

Sent from behind the anvil
  • Like 2

Cool canes, I don't have a lathe but I threw this one together from a rake handle. I made it kinda quick as you can tell, it's fugly, it would have looked better if I had used a better piece of leather and laced it instead of small screws. Im sure someone may realize what it's for when they see the 3/8' x 3-1/2" bolt in the handle. If I had to use it it would probably split but hey, then I would have a sharp stick.   :)

I'm planning on making a stronger, better looking one some day soon.

Cane_zpsabkxsyyt.jpg

Neat looking handle with the leather, etc.  Next time, instead of a rake handle, look at Home Depot for one of those 'industrial' type push broom handles.  My local HD has them in two thicknesses.  I got the thicker one to make (yet another) walking staff out of (got the idea from a video on youtube by preparedmind101) and it is pretty beefy.  They also sell wooden dowels that are even thicker than those.  Imagine a good, strong, thick wooden shaft with a 'knob' style handle rather than a crosspiece handle.  Make the knob handle by taking one of those sort of decorative (as in closed/domed at the top) lug nuts intended for use on a semi, threading the top of the shaft to screw into it and epoxying it into place.  You could go a little more 'stealth' by covering the lug nut and the section of shaft just below it in leather.

I have also wondered about using a couple of pieces of the thicker walled PVC pipe - maybe in 3/4 inch or even 1 inch - and filling the pipe with some kind of lightweight resin, epoxy or something like that.  PVC pipe will apparently get soft and allow you to shape it much like kydex if you heat it (although you have to be careful as PVC pipe reportedly gives off fumes that are somewhat toxic when heated so you'd want to do it outdoors and wear a mask.)  I'm thinking that a simple crook or even something a little more decorative could be created for the handle by slightly heating, bending (or shaping) the PVC before filling with the resin, epoxy or whatever.  You could also heat and twist the shaft, etc. for an interesting look. Then the whole thing could be painted with whatever paint scheme one wanted - a camo pattern (something like a Mossy Oak hunting camo pattern might be fun), a theme to match your favorite sports team, flowers and peace signs or whatever.  A really skilled hand might even paint it to look like wood, at least to a passing glance.  I wonder if it couldn't even be dipped using one of those water soluble 'decal' type kits.  At any rate, I'm thinking that if the epoxy, resin or whatever was used to fill the PVC pipe were sturdy enough it might be sort of a 'poor man's' (I prefer 'do it yourselfer's) version of that Cold Steel walking stick I linked to in my last post.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1