Good presentation on Active Shooter response

• Administrator

This was mentioned on M4Carbine.net last night and I have been flipping through it a bit.  Some of the material is familiar to me thanks to defensive handgun and rifle courses, but there's a ton of new-to-me material that I have found beneficial as well.

http://www.powershow.com/view/22c70-NGQwM/Active_Shooter_and_4th_5th_Generation_Warfare_powerpoint_ppt_presentation

It'd be interesting to share the bits and pieces that stand out the most to you in this thread.

This was mentioned on M4Carbine.net last night and I have been flipping through it a bit.  Some of the material is familiar to me thanks to defensive handgun and rifle courses, but there's a ton of new-to-me material that I have found beneficial as well.

http://www.powershow.com/view/22c70-NGQwM/Active_Shooter_and_4th_5th_Generation_Warfare_powerpoint_ppt_presentation

It'd be interesting to share the bits and pieces that stand out the most to you in this thread.

The fact that some media and others are in denile about this happening here.

I will say it got me heart going a good bit, damn scary.

I work in school kitchens at times, yes my stuff stays locked up in the work van.

"Learn to use AK-47 type weapons" , yup , if you can pick one up off a corpse it's a good heater and there are prob a few full mags close by ....

It is suprising how many gun people DONT know how to use an AK. Its like that side safety just ruins their brain lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Administrator

It took a lot for me to walk away from the AR platform but I am glad I did.

If I am expecting, or planning for, trouble I will grab an AK before an AR. The AK is more reliable, shorter when folded, offers better penetration and is just a lot more durable than a typical AR.

I really need to pick one up and see how the platform works for me.  I've got so much invested in the AR platform right now that it's hard for me to want to make the jump, but I am willing to test it out and see.  :)

Excellent resource. Thanks

Israel had similar problems
–They arm the population
–They arm the teachers
–Schools are no longer targets

This is simply not true. Common misconception.

It's actually not that easy to own a weapon in Israel. I can't find the article but Mac with Military Arms Channel went there recently and did a story on it.

I have an AK, and an SKS and while I can and do keep proficient with those platforms I'll stick to my 5.56 and .308s.  I prefer to have something that can reach out a bit farther and more accurately.  I know you can tweek an AK and other 7.62 rifles to perform well at a distance but I know most can't do that out the box.  Besides, we have been doing well against the AK in battle since Vietnam, why change now.

• Moderators

This is simply not true. Common misconception.

It's actually not that easy to own a weapon in Israel. I can't find the article but Mac with Military Arms Channel went there recently and did a story on it.

Per Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overview_of_gun_laws_by_nation

Civilians must obtain a firearms license to lawfully acquire, possess, sell, or transfer firearms and ammunition. Soldiers are generally allowed to carry their personal weapons and ammunition together while on furlough during active service, uniformed or in civilian clothing.

The list of below personnel are eligible for licenses allowing them to possess firearms:

Israel Defense Forces officers honorably discharged with the rank of non-commissioned officer
Reservists honorably discharged with the rank of regimental commander
Eligible to possess one rifle.
Ex–special forces enlisted men
Retired police officers with the rank of sergeant
Retired prison guards with the rank of squadron commander
Licensed public transportation drivers transporting a minimum of five people
Full-time dealers of jewellery or large sums of cash or valuables
Civil Guard volunteers
Civil Guard snipers may possess one rifle.
Residents of militarily strategic buffer zones considered essential to state security
Such personnel are may possess one handgun.
Residents of Israeli settlements
Settlers may possess handguns and can be issued automatic rifles by the army for personal protection. The automatic rifles are the property of the army and may be recalled at any time.
Licensed hunters
May possess one shotgun
Licensed animal-control officers
May possess two rifles
In addition, those applying for permission to possess firearms must meet certain age requirements:

20 for women who completed military service or civil service equivalent
21 for men who completed military service or civil service equivalent
27 for those who did not complete military service or civil service equivalent
45 for residents of East Jerusalem.
To obtain a firearms license, an applicant must be a resident of Israel for at least three consecutive years, pass a background check that considers the applicant's health, mental, and criminal history, establish a genuine reason for possessing a firearm (such as self-defense, hunting, or sport), and pass a weapons-training course. The Israeli government maintains an official registry of all residents with firearms licenses.[47]

All those holding firearms licenses must renew them and re-take a shooting course at a gun range every three years and pass a psychological exam every six years.[48] They must demonstrate they have a safe at home in which to keep the firearm. Permits are given only for personal use, not for business in the firearms sale while holders for self-defense purposes may own only one handgun, and are given a lifetime supply of 50 bullets to take home.[49]

In addition to private licenses of firearms, organizations can issue carry licenses to their members for activity related to that organization (e.g. security companies, shooting clubs, other workplaces).

Members of officially recognized shooting clubs (practical shooting, Olympic shooting) are eligible for personal licenses allowing them to possess additional firearms (small bore rifles, handguns, air rifles, and air pistols) after demonstrating a need and fulfilling minimum membership time and activity requirements. Unlicensed individuals who want to engage in practice shooting are allowed supervised use of pistols at firing ranges.

Those licensed to possess firearms may not carry them in public without a permit. Separate permits exist for being allowed to carrying open and concealed weapons.[47]

Around 40% of applications for firearms permits are rejected.[50]

In 2005, there were 236,879 private citizens and 154,000 security guards licensed to carry firearms. Another 34,000 Israelis who were previously licensed own guns illegally due to their failure to renew their gun license.[51][52] In 2007, there were estimated to be 500,000 civilian licensed guns in Israel, in addition to 1,757,500 in the military, and 26,040 in the police.[53][54]

To legally own a gun as a souvenir, prize, inheritance, or award of appreciation from the military, an individual must first present proper documentation that they are about to receive it. Permits for gun collectors are extremely rare, and typically only given to ex-high-ranking officers.

Under Israeli law, the maximum penalty for unlawful possession of a firearm is 10 years in prison.[47]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Moderators
Found via:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2012/12/28/israeli-gun-laws-are-much-stricter-than-some-u-s-gun-advocates-suggest/

Wow, 7 per 100 hey? I'd say that's below the average number of guns owned per member on TGO!

Young Israeli settlers play with unloaded guns at a 1994 army exhibition. There are only 7 privately owned guns for every 100 Israelis; the rate in America is 89. (MENAHEM KAHANA/AFP/Getty Images)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regarding israel, one has to understand that their compulsory military service results in a large number of armed young soldiers around the country at all times. They go everywhere with their rifles. So just because israeli private gun ownership laws are not like outs, do not mistake the amount of firepower walking around at any one time in civilian areas. Most restaurants and all hotels have armed security too - and those people can carry their guns around.

Bottom line in Israel an armed first responder is usually very close