What do you think of camera security systems?

jgradyc

I have two questions. Some background first. My neighbor installed a Sams Club 8-camera security system with DVR. I helped him set it up. It has the remote monitoring app for his iPhone. Here's my concern. Even though the cameras are 1080p, the resolution is low and the wide angle makes everything so far away it's hard to see. You can't even tell what make a car is when it's in the driveway.  Basically, all you can tell is race and gender of a person. You could only ID a person if he came up to the porch camera and looked at it.

Now, at my house, I don't have security cameras, but I have a "Security Cameras in Use" sign on my gate. I offered one to my neighbor, but he said no. He doesn't want anyone to know he has security cameras. I think this is poor logic. I don't want to catch someone who breaks into my house. I want to deter them from breaking in in the first place. Besides, if his goal is to catch someone, this system isn't going to do it unless the guy comes up to his front door... the least likely break-in target on the house.

1. Is he right not to put up a security camera in use sign?

2. I think my sign does more to deter theft than his $500+ security system. What's your opinion? I'd consider a security camera system if I thought it offered a real value.

Edited by jgradyc

I wonder if your neighbor has shipping-plastic on the camera lenses. 

I have a 8 channel, 4 camera system like his and it has a good b/w picture in the very dark. 

I've got about $130 in the system and about that in a good HDD, both from e-bay. I haven't posted a sign yet.

I've been considered getting cameras for a while now and have been doing a bit of reading.  It does sound like something's wrong with your neighbor's system.  Is the resolution set really low?

As for the sign... I think a "smile for cameras" sign will deter only those smart enough to read it before hand. 

I have seen some of those camera systems that have very clear images and others that are nothing but a blur. If I could not make out the brand of automobile sitting in my driveway or a person clearly enough to describe any tattoos of other identifying marks on the person I would be getting my money back and looking elsewhere for a better brand...........jmho

They remind me of the ones you see on the news that says if any one can identify this person please call Crimestoppers. I laugh every time I see one of those. The picture is a blob of blur!!!  You would think a business owner would invest in a better camera video system than most do.........jmho

• Like 1

We have camera's installed as well as signs warning that we have cameras at our business in South Nashville.

Neither stopped a thief from stealing a trailer and metal from our yard, nor did it help identify a suspect for the police. Camera clearly shows the vehicle, but not enough detail for the license plate number.

But, only one theft in the last couple of years, so maybe the signs are somewhat of a deterrent if the bad guys can read?

Security cameras are a mixed blessing kind of thing in that the main thing because they require constant monitoring to be actually effective. As to deterance, its more of the analogy of locks keeping honest people honest. Criminals either don't care or more correctly figure they aren't likly to be identified.

I'd be happier with a camera system tied into a motion detector that alerted my smart phone so I could see what was happening in real time. Having a good home security system recording thhings also tells you after the fact wherever an intruder went therefor allowing good points of reference for evidence retrival.

To post or not post? By all means post away.

My old business was broken into and it had cams.   We saw people break in.  We saw a truck drive up and drive off.   Couldn't ID the person, it could have been my wife or my father or anyone at all.   Couldn't read the license plate.  

If you fool with it, get one that has a billion mega pixels and stores it to a computer drive in high resolution that can actually provide meaningful data to the cops.

The sign might stop some folks.   Others will just put on a mask and continue.   Pro burglars don't care what you have, they gonna break in.  Druggie/idiot burglars also don't care much.  

I'd be happier with a camera system tied into a motion detector that alerted my smart phone so I could see what was happening in real time. Having a good home security system recording thhings also tells you after the fact wherever an intruder went therefor allowing good points of reference for evidence retrival.
To post or not post? By all means post away.

My system does this. My entry cameras all record on motion and send an email with a still shot when motion is sensed. I have a still shot lot of all activity on my property and can go back to review the footage to see if there is anything suspicious going on. Criminals don't normally pick targets at random. Most, at least the more successful ones, will case first. I have overt and covert cameras, a sign indicating my alarm system, attack dog, and I stare down every unfamiliar/suspicious vehicle I see in my neighborhood. I love having deterrents, but I also like knowing what's going on that I don't see.

fdfbf56eb5ef42e0272fbef02da2ae17.jpg

So the images go right to the email account on my iPhone: Edited by TMF

I wonder if your neighbor has shipping-plastic on the camera lenses. 

No. I installed four of the cameras. I'm sure I would have noticed that.

I've been considered getting cameras for a while now and have been doing a bit of reading.  It does sound like something's wrong with your neighbor's system.  Is the resolution set really low?

With 8 cameras, the DVR defaults to a lower resolution to record all 8 cameras. This was not apparent in any of the sales literature. It was buried in the manual. This is part of the problem, but it's also a problem with the lens being wide angle. With a wide angle lens, things farther away are really tiny in the picture.