Got what he deserved ??

jpx2rk

He stole something; he didn't molest a child or kill a little old lady. Yea, he certainly realized the full implications of stupid decision making, but I think saying he deserved to die for stealing is just a bit on the harsh side.

Deserved? No. But you know what they say, "Play stupid games, you might get eaten."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

He stole something; he didn't molest a child or kill a little old lady. Yea, he certainly realized the full implications of stupid decision making, but I think saying he deserved to die for stealing is just a bit on the harsh side.

Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.

John Wayne

Edited by crossfire
  • Like 4

So if a burglar enters your home you'll just let him go?

• Like 1

So if a burglar enters your home you'll just let him go?

That's not what happened, is it?

If someone is, at this very moment, inside my home uninvited, he presents a clear and present danger to my family and me. Once he leaves, he does not. I hope he gets caught and my stuff gets returned, but I wouldn't wish death on him.
We always say, half joking, that "nothing in my house is worth dying for." Well, it's not with killing for either. (Obviously speaking of material things, not family.)

• Like 3

That's not what happened, is it?

If someone is, at this very moment, inside my home uninvited, he presents a clear and present danger to my family and me. Once he leaves, he does not. I hope he gets caught and my stuff gets returned, but I wouldn't wish death on him.
We always say, half joking, that "nothing in my house is worth dying for." Well, it's not with killing for either. (Obviously speaking of material things, not family.)

But his crime, (allegedly), was burglary. Our state laws declare him an imminent threat when he's in the home, but is he really? 

But his crime, (allegedly), was burglary. Our state laws declare him an imminent threat when he's in the home, but is he really?

Yes, but the alligator wasn't in the home. Neither was the alleged burglar at the time of his demise. The question at hand is whether he deserved to be eaten alive because he stole some stuff. I am arguing in the negative.

Yes, but the alligator wasn't in the home. Neither was the alleged burglar at the time of his demise. The question at hand is whether he deserved to be eaten alive because he stole some stuff. I am arguing in the negative.

Eaten alive is really not accurate. An alligator tends to drag its victim down to drown it before consuming it. Anyway, I just think Karma's a bitch, and I don't feel sorry for him at all. :shrug:

• Like 6

Eaten alive is really not accurate. An alligator tends to drag its victim down to drown it before consuming it. Anyway, I just think Karma's a bitch, and I don't feel sorry for him at all. :shrug:

I understand. It surely is. I just seem to be in the rather unique position of having screwed up myself during my life and don't think I deserved to die for it. [emoji6]

• Like 3

If the burglar, when confronted while still in the house, were to affirm that his only intention is to steal stuff, and he presents no other viable or potential threat to life or limb.... then yes, I'd say he wasn't an imminent threat. 

And yes, karma's a bitch, stupid hurts, and so on...  but that's a pretty sucky way to go. 

Edited by peejman

If the burglar, when confronted while still in the house, were to affirm that his only intention is to steal stuff, and he presents no other viable or potential threat to life or limb.... then yes, I'd say he wasn't an imminent threat.

Counterpoint:

I'm not taking his word on it, because the type of person who would illegally enter a person's home with the intent of doing crime is not a a person I would consider reliable or a man of his word. I'm gonna give him some extra breathing holes.

ETA: On a side note, like dogs, alligators are known to be excellent judges of character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by TMF
  • Like 2

I look at like this; a burglar if confronted will not quietly go away and will fight to keep himself out of jail.  If he has to hurt you or your family to get away, he probably will; look at that 6 year old that got stabbed/murdered.  What the hell could a 6 year old do to warrant that?  No, a burglar forfeits his life by entering my home, period.

As for the alligator, I say deputize it.

• Like 3

Counterpoint:

I'm not taking his word on it, because the type of person who would illegally enter a person's home with the intent of doing crime is not a a person I would consider reliable or a man of his word. I'm gonna give him some extra breathing holes.

ETA: On a side note, like dogs, alligators are known to be excellent judges of character.

Not counterpoint, illustration of my sarcasm.  ;)

• Like 1

I know at 22 boys do not make good decisions.. whatever reason he had to break into a house ,  it was a dumb and stupid decision. But being eaten and probably not dying right away is not something he deserved. He is/was someones child.. The punishment does not fit the crime in this case..

Have a little compassion..sometimes looking at it from a different angle is all that it takes

• Like 1

I know at 22 boys do not make good decisions.. whatever reason he had to break into a house ,  it was a dumb and stupid decision. But being eaten and probably not dying right away is not something he deserved. He is/was someones child.. The punishment does not fit the crime in this case..

Have a little compassion..sometimes looking at it from a different angle is all that it takes

I disagree, at 22 you should be mentally mature enough to rationalize the situation better.  Many of us enlisted at 18 and had to make life and death decisions soon after.  While I agree that the death penalty was a bit much; its hard to have sympathy for someone's stupidity.  The guy was from Florida, knew there were alligators all over the places and still decided to take refuge there.

My very first alligator encounter was at Camp Blanding Joint Training Center, we did a nighttime airfield seizure and I was in a canal providing security with a 6' alligator as my assistant gunner all night.  On first light, I look over and there it was about 8-10 feet away...I guess he wasn't hungry.  If I had any indication there were alligators about I would of picked a better spot.