seal team six fact

Sam1

You must not have heard of a certain movie called the Green Berets made by a certain draft dodger. It also features a very catchy tune.

I've seen it.  But one movie over 45 years ago compared to the litany of books, movies, and TV specials in the last ten years doesn't compare.  Plus, the whole Bin Laden mission is still in the public mind.

Like Spots said, incredible people, but there are guys all over the SOF community doing just as much to keep the country safe, while not getting the same level of PR from it.  And that's how they prefer it.

• Like 3

I don't think I've ever meet a Seal who wasn't ready for his next close up. It's the new path to Hollywood and book deals.

Sent from behind the anvil

Take advantage of it, I sure as hell would.  Go from making $50k/year to a few mil is an opportunity few would turn down.

Take advantage of it, I sure as hell would. Go from making $50k/year to a few mil is an opportunity few would turn down.

Oh I never said I wouldnt. But they have been one of the only members of the special operations community to embrace the limelight rather than shun it as a whole. The others are slowly opening up, with things such as Combat rescue, featuring the Pararescue guys, which to me is one of the most impressive groups in the entire Special Operations community. I do know a friend who deals with recruitment said they have seen their numbers of people interested in special operations skyrocket in the last few years. Lots of people see the cool shit, and wanna join up. 98% of them have no idea what they are going in to. I've talked to a prior service Army recruiter half a dozen times about going back in under the 18X program for Special Forces. But I'm not getting younger, my body isn't in as good shape and I'm honest enough to be able to tell myself that I don't physcially have what it takes to excel at those jobs. It took me years to accept that fact.

Sent from behind the anvil

Understand, I felt the same way all the way until 2000-2001 when we got shipped to Macedonia/Bosnia.  Was going to save the world with my tank, but then they pulled us out of them and we had to do foot patrols.  When people shoot back, it's not as fun as it looks in the movies.  I got out the year after.

I bet most of us shoot more than Marines. On a one to one basis. How come know one talks about Delta Force or the Green Berets anymore? They aren't as cool and new?

Quite Professionals.

They aren't as well published, or Hollywood ready.

Well, they do have Chuck Norris - Good Guys Wear Black and Blackhawk Down, but USASOC takes a low key approach.

I've seen it.  But one movie over 45 years ago compared to the litany of books, movies, and TV specials in the last ten years doesn't compare.  Plus, the whole Bin Laden mission is still in the public mind.

Like Spots said, incredible people, but there are guys all over the SOF community doing just as much to keep the country safe, while not getting the same level of PR from it.  And that's how they prefer it.

Yes, many missions by the Tier 1 guys either never get coverage or credit is given to another unit to stay out of the news.  No Tier 1 units have been disbanded AFAIK, only redesignated when the media splashes their unit designation on too many stories. As to which service has the better teams; well that depends on the mission, but most teams can operate in each others battle space.  All services practice Air, Land and Sea operations, but Army-Navy are rivals of sorts, each call their new team members by their rival's designation.  Sure messed me up a few times as a loggie, didn't realize who I was supporting until they arrived sometimes.

Oh, and each service has a white (public) and black (classified) Special Operations or Forces, so Green Beret's, Seal Team etc., are used incorrectly most times.

The other thing about T1 SMUs are they arent service specific

Marines in CAG, Rangers is DEVGRU...gets a bit wierd but thats JSOC for you.

Hell JCU and JCSE are also like that...thats JSOC for you though.

And theyre not the only SMUs either.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I qualified for arms training in the USAF in '82 with a 22cal/M-16, That was the last I was around small arms, except a 38 with a few rubber bullets. 

I don't understand why every member of the service doesn't carry a hand gun. 

I hope more citizens will start to carry, WW III is right around the corner. 

• Like 1

I qualified for arms training in the USAF in '82 with a 22cal/M-16, That was the last I was around small arms, except a 38 with a few rubber bullets. 

I don't understand why every member of the service doesn't carry a hand gun. 

I hope more citizens will start to carry, WW III is right around the corner. 

Not every member needs a handgun.  In the last few years I carried one, but for a few occasion's I didn't need it.  I do think the military needs to train every service member to be proficient in all small arms though both gun and rifle, but funds would have to be set aside for that and that's doubtful.

Ha, yes.  Quite.

Ha, unintentional but yes they are quite the professionals, well most of them anyway.  Must stop posting while paying attention elsewhere, I was trying to hunt, spell check isn't everything.