I HATE SNOW!!!

pops572

This week has sucked. On Wednesday, during the first round of snow, wrecked my truck. Slid into the concrete wall seperating the N/S lanes on interstate. $2800 estimate $500 deductible. Yesterday trying to make it to work, slid wife's car into ditch about 100 yards from the house. Wife twisted her ankle trying to help, nice guy stops to pull me out, he busts his tire on a concrete culvert that was covered up with snow. Only thing he has to hook to is the rear axle of wifes car, gets me out and home. He un hooks and is gone before I can even offer to help him out. Then this morning driving wifes car to work and has a very noticeable shimmy in it, not sure if the axle is bent or tire needs balancing or just a lot of ice and snow build up. But I am like WTF? It just keeps getting worse. I am going to hibernate and not come out until June. Rant off.
  • Like 1

I used to hate snow except when I had my Ramcharger and then it was fun. I use to go out and play in it back then. Now it does not bother me because I don't have to get out in it as I am retired. Had a buddy cal me yesterday and ask me if I needed anything as his wife is sending him out for a few things. He picked up what I needed and dropped it off but he has a monster 4X4 truck so was like a walk in the park for him............... :cheers:

When I convinced my wife to buy a Subaru couple of years ago she and her friends didn't really get it, until we were the ones that weren't stuck or iced in. Taught my kids how to best deal with driving on iced roads in some parking lots since our Subie just seems to not mind the bad weather, but they know staying home is preferable. I had a situation almost like yours in my fwd Civic where we almost slid into a ditch and even though it's only a few days a year, wanted to put odds in my favor concerning driving in this weather. Good thoughts that your wife's car only has a small issue.
  • Admin Team
If it makes you feel any better, there's a guy with a brand new Corvette in our neighborhood. Clearly he's got more money than sense, as yesterday he was out driving around the neighborhood and put it in the bushes going back up his driveway - and got it stuck at the same time.

I guess he got it out though, because today I went into the office for a few minutes and saw that he had abandoned it in a ditch.
  • Like 5
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Guess I'm just lucky, my wife's car is the only vehicle in our stable that isn't 4wd. I've taken both my truck and our Cheap Cherokee out in completely frozen roads both this year and last without one trouble. We live in the sticks, so there are spots of our road still frozen today. I did have to take the ditch Friday though to avoid some guy in a small fwd car that was doing an absolutely terrible job of controlling it. No harm, no foul, just happened to be at a spot where the ditch wasn't super deep. Edited by KKing
Im fortunate to have a F250 so I took it upon myself to do donuts in the cul de sac.

I know that feeling though I smashed my Mustang into a concrete barrier in West Virginia and tore the whole left side up.

Also manage to crash my old Altima into a snow berm in NYC, I got the front axle wedged over a giant chunk of ice, then split my axle when someone yanked me out.

Happens to us all

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Love's me 4 by 4 .....I wont do ice....but with the tires I use it goes everywhere. But ya still have to contend with non 4 wheeler s...who get stuck   The tires I use now are Bridgestone Blizzak WS80's

Edited by Ron_TN

I go where I want and haven't had any trouble, just got to take it easy and assess each part of the road.  Years of dirtbiking and rear wheel drive sports car shenanigans help too.  Those things have gotten me used to a rear end breaking loose.  Tires do play a big part.  I got new Michelin M/S 2s last year and they have been great!

• Like 1

The big factor of going out in the snow is not me I'm worried about I have a great 4 by 4 and great tires. My worries are always on the other drivers,  are they driving on ONION SKINS, , drunk, drugged, texting....etc?   You cant control the other driver's vehicle.  I see people on the interstate in snow driving the speed limit.......and BANG!

Being native to the Kansas City area I know how to drive in this crap. Unfortunately, most others around here do not. I took me 1.5 hours to get into work TODAY. :banghead:

The funny thing about 4x4 and AWD is many of their owners think that just because they can get going easily enough it also means that they can stop easily enough. Wrong! And, yes, I own a 4x4 Ram 2500.

• Like 1

I work for Emergency Management, so I HAVE to go out in this stuff, even if it's my regular day off.. 

I drove my rear/2 wheel drive pickup truck back and forth to work all weekend past numerous vehicles stuck or in ditches, and even had to call in someone to help with a big 4-wheel drive SUV that spun right in front of me.  If you use your head, with just a little luck you can stay out of trouble.

• Like 1
Some people just don't know how to navigate on the snow and ice. I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing, but those people should not leave the house when there's snow and ice on the ground. That is, unless you have a $500 beater to practice in.

I drove all over Springfield, White House, Goodlettsville, and Hendersonville this weekend in a two-wheel drive truck and a little two-wheel drive Nissan Versa. I had zero issues. As 10-Ring said, take your time and constantly asses the situation.