Shoulder holsters?

Who uses one?

I've never used or owned one, but I'm thinking about adding one to my collection. I've got a G20 coming to carry around on my land. Most of the time I will carry it OWB strong side, but I think it might be useful to have a shoulder rig under a light jacket from time to time.

I don't know much about them, but I see there are two types: vertical and horizontal. The horiz seems like it's constantly pointing a chambered gun at the person behind you, so I am leaning vert.

Anything else I should look for in choosing one?

Are there any good but cheapr ones?

I use an old military rig I forgot to turn in. It holds everything from a Colt Scout, to a Sig 220, to a mod 10 S&W with no problem. Not stylish or particularly quick drawish, it holds a firearm securely while on the tractor, bike, or 4 wheeler, and it's way more comfortable than a belt rig.

• Like 2

If you get an under the arm type make sure you get one that has duel mag holster on opposite side.  It will help even out the weight and not feel so lop sided.  Also make sure it can fasten to belt so it does not flop around when moving about.  Truth be told, shoulder carry, while glamorized in miami vice, james bond etc.  is one of the least preferred methods of conceal carry.  I would tell you to buy a cheap one or borrow one to see if you like it before you spent real money on a good one.  Most find themselves collecting dust in a drawer.

I would agree that a chest carry rig (where concealment is not an issue) is a great option to carry for farm, salmon fishing in Alaska, remote hiking etc.  My 2 cents.

• Like 2

Wing...

I've got several shoulder holsters; Bianchi old time shoulder (...X18... i think...) and a real good military built by El Paso saddlery...

Back in the long ago, used to carry a 1911 in the Bianchi... The problem with it wuz it just aint comfortable... I never could get mine adjusted to suit me... The pistola gets heavy and it is somewhat of an aggravation down towards the end of the day... If you are barrel chested, or have short arms; a bianchi aint as easy to reach for as you might think...

I've never tried the newer "balanced" type shoulder rigs that have the pistola on one side and the mags or speed loader on the other... My suspicion is that they are a bit more comfortable for a small pistola; not a large one like the Glock 20....Weight is weight no matter where it's hung...

Now to the military by El Paso... They work like a charm.. I like 'em a lot... They work very well sittin down or riding, because they are in the right place for ya ta get your hands on... The problem... Mine wuz $100 plus a bunch of years ago (...i'm an El Paso Saddlery "junkie"...)...

Havin said all that,; here is a bunch i really like.... http://clarkforkleather.com/leather-chest-holster/

I intend to order one of these shortly for my Glock cannon... I like 'em lots... I believe they will be lots more comfortable... I can't see givin $175 plus for the same thing from some of the "more well known makers"...

Hope this helps....

leroy

Edited by leroy
  • Like 2

I've owned several shoulder holsters over the years and hated every one of them, from verticle to horazontal carry ones. They do have a place and a purpose but not necessaraly in everyday carry. If your wanting one to try out or for simple field carry while out in the woods then one of the Uncle Mike rigs is affordable and easy to adjust. To my way of thinking a shoulder holster is great for when your driving or riding in a vehicle or for a hunting handgun. I've yet to visit a flea market, gun show or swap meet where someone didn't have some used shoulder holsters for sale or trade.

Edited by TNWNGR
  • Like 1

I carry a Glock 17 in an M7 style anytime I'm on the motorcycle. This one was made by GjohnsonIV and the craftsmanship is fantastic. I wear colors anytime I ride so concealment isn't a concern and it's comfy to ride in. Also works for long car trips. I'm 6'1" and have a 52" chest so custom was the only option that fit right.

20151011_060925_zpsc424zpis.jpg

20151011_060943_zpsrazbndvu.jpg

Sent from behind the anvil

• Like 3
  • Authorized Vendor

I have one made by a fellow TGO member that seems to work great for a 1911. It's balanced as others have stated with a two mag carrier on the other side. It's a vertical carry and for colder weather where you would wear some king of coat/jacket I'm really liking it since I seem to have it adjusted properly.. For summer use I wouldn't be wearing it though.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
I recently picked up a Standard U.S. Military-issue shoulder Holster, Item # WX2-141927, from sportsmans guide for $27 to wear when I am hunting and not concerned with concealing it. I am extremely pleased with it. You will have to soften the leather, just like a ball glove, but my Glock 22 fits like it was made for it. I also use the galco Miami Classic for my everyday carry. Normally I wear a tee shirt and the outer button down shirt untucked and oversized. This may not be the fastest access, but I always have my gun with me.
Hope this helps
Epp
  • 3 weeks later...