Informing a LEO that your carrying, at a traffic stop

Guest johnmattwill

How did he see your permit before? You were booked and finger printed for what?

I opened my wallet to him, and before the words got out of my mouth, he saw my permit and went into panic mode.

I had backed into a lady's car in a parking lot a few years before, and went to get some contact cement to glue her little emblem back on. She had filed a hit and run, and forgot to rescind it after I'd taken care of her car.

It was ugly, and regardless of anyone's learned opinion, I always would say immediately that I have a permit because of it.

Thanks, Phillip...

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 Moderators to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

:P

Short time ago, little longer than a short time ago, and a long time ago, and in the future.

This will be an topic (argument) forever.

For the record, I have informed in traffic stops, no problems, I have not informed at a road block, no problems. Depends on the situation, If it appears that they are going to run my dl, I will inform, if they are just looking at my dl and tags, probably not, this is my rule of thumb with an option to change depending on the situation. I do this not to 'get out of a ticket' but as a courtesy, if it so happens that I don't get a ticket, then that happens, if not, oh well.

Another observation, those that have had a bad experiences with LEO's seem to continue to have bad experiences, those that have not had a bad experience, seem to continue to not have bad experiences.

Another observation, those that have had a bad experiences with LEO's seem to continue to have bad experiences, those that have not had a bad experience, seem to continue to not have bad experiences.

Isn't that amazing! It is the same way at work. Certain people always have the black cloud over their head and have emergency reasons why they can't be there and everyone else has to pick up their slack! I agreee with you 100% db99wj!

I think anytime you're inconvenienced by a LEO stop and get a ticket, it's a bad experience. That being said, and being a somewhat reformed habitual speeder, I've had my share of stops with my HCP and weapon in the truck. I think it all comes down to territory. Depending on where said LEO is from and if he's familiar with the crowd he's patrolling, I think, will depend on the response/reaction he has around the people he interacts with.

IMHO, I'm sure that when an LEO (THP) is assigned a location to patrol, there is a reputation that's floating around about the majority floating around highways that they'll encounter.

example: I've been pulled over in Metro and Williamson County and it's all gone rather smoothly. However, when I was pulled over in Cheatam, the THP must have had a real hang up with the crowd he'd been interacting with....or he had a long ride home.

I don't have a problem with LEOs, THPs, or getting pulled over.

I do have a problem with the LEOs not taking into consideration that the majority of the public (with or without HCPs) aren't in practice of being pulled over and going through the routine.

Yeah, we know THE routine, but not neccessarily THEIR routine in their minds eye.

(i.e not notifying of HCP/weapon in the car, carrying cocked & locked, etc.)

Sometimes I think they sit there so long in that cruiser that their personal opinion becomes "their" law.

Guest Astra900

Sometimes I think they sit there so long in that cruiser that their personal opinion becomes "their" law.

Absolutely. Especially in small towns, where everyone is trying to be a big carp in a little pond.

I understand what your saying. I have come across officers who, how do I say this nicely......are just plain stupid. I think alot of times it goes back to their department and the training they get to receive.

As far as Steelharps experience goes, I don't know what department it was, but if they treat people this way on a regular basis for no reason, they are wrong. Although it seems that he left out part of his experience by failing to state that there were other issues going on besides the reason for the traffic stop. Did the officer over react, I wasn't there, so I don't know how it went down. But if I am getting ready to arrest somebody who may or may not have a gun, I may not be such a friendly, kind, and caring officer until I get them secured and find the gun. Those situations are never personal, but I am going home at the end of the day. Remember, your attitude when dealing with any LEO will go a long way, and that includes facial expressions, body language, and voice inflection. Be sincere and positive, it will help. I know there are some "Traffic Nazis" out there and "Napoleon syndrome" officers as well. Sorry, but the rest of us didn't hire them.

Guest GLOCKGUY
Considering the one time I was pulled over for expired tags and he saw my permit before I managed to say I had one and was carrying... and I was thrown against the cruiser... and my guns thrown on the roof of my car... and I was booked and fingerprinted...

... I'd tell him. Don't listen to the post two above mine.

What were you booked and fingerprinted for and what happen did you get the charges dropped?
Few things in life worse than a LEO with LDS (Little Dick Syndrome)

One of those few things is a "civilian" with the same affliction. I can see it getting worse when these two meet.

Guest sermon8r

No ticket..... 82 in a 70..... THP

I handed DL. HCP and INS card out the window.... Told him I was using all 3. :)

He asked what I carried. 1911 in 45ACP... He said Good for you.... and SLOW DOWN......

Guest bkelm18
Are those badges handy to have, or more of a novelty?

I'm not gonna touch that question with a 10 foot pole just to keep this thread on topic. All I'll say is that they are a novelty and hold no real value. A guy I work with has one and I laughed at him when I saw it. Enough said.

Guest VolDaddy

I have shown mine twice.

First time in Germantown. I was speeding. Handed over my DL, and Carry Permit. He went back and ran them. Came back and said have a nice day. Really surprized me as Germantown is known for handing out speeding tickets like candy.

When I took my class at Rangemaster they said to let them know in advance, as the will find out if they run your DL. Thay way it dosen't look like you have something to hide. And whatever you do dont pull it out for "show and tell" . I just try and put myself in their shoes also as most officers get lied to all day long. A little truth goes a long way.