Larry Potterfield - Midway USA

Last week, I had the chance to meet Mr. Potterfield. Had the chance to spend a little time talking to him, and we got to talking about the Type 14 Nambu, among other topics. Really nice guy, and an extremely sharp businessman. I realized that they were once Ely Arms, and I recalled ordering some 8mm Nambu brass from them some 30 years ago from an ad in Shotgun News. Back then they were very small, and he and his brother Jerry ran their business out of a small metal building. He thought it was kind of interesting that I had bought from them way back then. He asked for my business card before he headed out to the airport. Naturally, I didn't expect anything to come of that. However, today I got to my office, and there was a package for me from him - an autographed copy of a book of hunting trips, short stories, and general gun-related stuff that he wrote. What a thoughtful gesture! I have to say I was more than a little impressed.
  • Like 15

Wow. Gotta say, that's pretty impressive, especially these days. A successful businessman who recognizes, remembers, and appreciates those who supported him along the way.
Very cool!

No doubt. The fact that I'm now a customer for life probably won't even move his financial needle, so I have no doubt that the reason he did it is just because he's a genuinely nice person.

Wow. Gotta say, that's pretty impressive, especially these days. A successful businessman who recognizes, remembers, and appreciates those who supported him along the way.

Very cool!

Spend some time in the Cigar industry. It's a crazy throwback to when people appreciated their customers.

That's awesome.... and old-school. In my businesses I employ a few millennials... and they often live up to their reputation. That's the one lesson I try to teach them when they'll listen.... invest in people, do a good job, and the rest will come along in due time.

I opened this thread because I was getting ready to come to his defense, but I am happy to hear someone has had a pleasurable experience in dealing with him. Many years ago I phoned in an order to Midway and of all the people in the world to talk to it was Larry himself. I never really thought too much of it. It wasn't until later I heard him speaking on a video that I realized who I had spoken with.
I forget who here said it first, but ole Larry could sell genoside with a smile and a short engaging story.

I like him and his company and have gotten some stuff from them from time to time. I do wish their shipping where cheaper, but I usually just fill up a cart to the point where the shipping is actually comparatively cheap. I do wish that still offered a C&R discount though. They are still competitive enough and convenient enough to make it worth it though.
  • Like 1

I forget who here said it first, but ole Larry could sell genoside with a smile and a short engaging story.

I like him and his company and have gotten some stuff from them from time to time. I do wish their shipping where cheaper, but I usually just fill up a cart to the point where the shipping is actually comparatively cheap. I do wish that still offered a C&R discount though. They are still competitive enough and convenient enough to make it worth it though.

I agree the shipping could be cheaper, over the top actually. Other than that, no issues.

I was a pretty big Midway customer, and have exchanged emails with Larry a time or two. They are not what they were, and screwed up my last two expedited shipping orders. In fact, the last screwup was done using free Larry bucks from the previous. When I was in the process of bitching about all the, the customer service person told me that Larry is no longer involved in the day-to-day at midway. Like I said... it ain't what it once was.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1