Internal wear on Glocks

conn_air7

Fellow TGO members,

Looking to familiarize myself with internal wear (from shooting) on Glocks for future purchases. I started with a Google search but couldn't find any good pictures. If you have the time, would love to see some pictures you have with an estimated round count. Appreciate all the help and effort in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't even take internal wear into consideration. I would say it would be hard to find a Glock that was even close to having wear to be concerned about. I'd give potential purchases a once over, visually check rifling and call it good.
  • Like 2

I wouldn't even take internal wear into consideration. I would say it would be hard to find a Glock that was even close to having wear to be concerned about. I'd give potential purchases a once over, visually check rifling and call it good.

Well take purchasing out of the question then, I am more curious than anything else.

If you have used Glock's you would like rebuilt just spend an hour or so in Smyrna, GA at Glock HQ.  The tech's will be glad to check all your magazines and replace any worn parts in the Glock's for FREE.  I have been there done that... :)

Edited by deadeye111
  • Like 1

I can relate one story of interest. I am a trained gunsmith and a number of years ago a guy (Part time cop) I personaly knew had shown me his Glock 40 with very visable metal filings in the frame slide guides. I could clearly see the metal was coming off the bottom edges of the 4 slide guides. I told him there was nothing I could do about it that maybe a better lube might help. He was still pretty upset about it since his other Glock had the same problem so he mailed the worst one off to Glock uncleaned. Glock sent it back cleaned up and said that the wear was "normal".

I was never a fan of those slide retaining tabs in the Glock since they are the complete opposite of what you find in a 1911 or full rail design of many other pistols. Even the shorter aluminum slide rails of a Beretta 92 will wear over time giving you more barrel play.

Maybe, Glock updated the design? I don't know. How many gens are there now, 4?

I always thought they were good service guns but those filings were so bad, you could swipe em off onto your finger.

I'll stick to my full rail pistols. Heavier, yes but they don't eat themselves. 

Edited by xtriggerman

I can relate one story of interest. I am a trained gunsmith and a number of years ago a guy (Part time cop) I personaly knew had shown me his Glock 40 with very visable metal filings in the frame slide guides. I could clearly see the metal was coming off the bottom edges of the 4 slide guides. I told him there was nothing I could do about it that maybe a better lube might help. He was still pretty upset about it since his other Glock had the same problem so he mailed the worst one off to Glock uncleaned. Glock sent it back cleaned up and said that the wear was "normal".
I was never a fan of those slide retaining tabs in the Glock since they are the complete opposite of what you find in a 1911 or full rail design of many other pistols. Even the shorter aluminum slide rails of a Beretta 92 will wear over time giving you more barrel play.
Maybe, Glock updated the design? I don't know. How many gens are there now, 4?
I always thought they were good service guns but those filings were so bad, you could swipe em off onto your finger.
I'll stick to my full rail pistols. Heavier, yes but they don't eat themselves.

Appreciate the insight, there are 4 gens now.

I run my Glock 18 like a raped ape, rarely clean it (actually almost never), and when it does come apart, i'm still not worried about internal wear. Not even a consideration to me. If it breaks, it breaks. Cheap and easy to fix the guns. 

• Like 1

I run my Glock 18 like a raped ape, rarely clean it (actually almost never), and when it does come apart, i'm still not worried about internal wear. Not even a consideration to me. If it breaks, it breaks. Cheap and easy to fix the guns. 

18?  :drool:

A quick google check comes up with the 4 slide guides are plated metal tabs and its apparently normal for the plating to shear off showing the copper and metal under the plating.

Some other neat pictures of cracked plastic all around the forward slide tabs.

A quick google check comes up with the 4 slide guides are plated metal tabs and its apparently normal for the plating to shear off showing the copper and metal under the plating.
Some other neat pictures of cracked plastic all around the forward slide tabs.

I saw some of those pictures, but was wondering at what point does that start occurring. Hope I never see any copper on mine haha.

Iv read that it can start as early as 2-300 rounds. Just why Glock would put a plating on these parts is not understood from what little iv read. The copper bonding agent will most certainly wear off in short order as I didn't notice any copper at all on my friend's 40. To be honest, this wear shouldn't have any effect on the functional reliability on which the Glock's are praised for. But as far as target grouping accuracy goes, frame to slide tolerances plays a major roll and I would have to say a Glock with a lot of rds fired threw it would more than likely be less accurate do to a some what loser slide. Now I'm talking sandbag bench shooting. That's where true accuracy can be nailed down. 

Heres the best pic of the issue Iv seen.

[URL=http://s635.photobucket.com/user/xtriggerman/media/IMG_1508b_zpsbh346zqa.jpg.html]IMG_1508b_zpsbh346zqa.jpg[/URL]

Internal wear's a non-issue on Glock pistol's. I've had an extractor with part of a corner broken off continue to function in an early model G-22. If its an older Gen 1-3 model that's been used a lot I'd replace the springs, inspect the extractor and striker, replace if needed and not worry about it.

In .40 S&W caliber glocks , mainly the Glock 22 , There is noticeable wear on the slide underneath it along both slide rails . Just in the middle of the slide. This happens but after a certain amount , it stops and there is no more wear. It happened to 2 of my duty Glock 22's. I have a newer one and it hasn't gotten the wear just yet. Other than that , Glock is an awesome pistol and shows no excessive wear as far as reliability is concerned.

The 9mm and .45acp ones don't get the wear that I described. They look new for years and years .

Edited by tercel89