Used Tractor

I plan on purchasing a small tractor in the near future (used, hopefully under $5k), and was wondering what advice folks here might have? Make/model seem to be all over, but there's a lot of Massey's, Fords, and similar types in that price range on CL (no, won't be buying any green paint at that price). Should I get diesel or gasoline? What are some of the common problems to look for? I see some rebuilt one's w/ fresh paint (which tells me it might be a POS and they put lipstick on a pig to make a quick buck). What should I check on a 'test drive' before buying?

Thanks for the advice.

- Old McDonald

What size, and what do you intend to do with it? 'Small' could be anything from a garden tractor to 40-50 HP. 

What dealers are near you? Even if you don't buy from one, you're going to have to get parts from somewhere. Deere has a huge lead on the competition there, their entire parts system is available for free online. 

• Like 1

Look for leaks, check the steering for excess play, and load the hydraulics to make sure they work properly. Hydraulic pumps and tires are among the most expensive things to replace on a tractor.

I'd prefer a diesel. I'd also want either a shuttle shift, or a hydrostat drive.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

We are in the process of acquiring some property that is mostly wooded. I will have a lot of land/tree's to clear, and want to create acre's of pasture, as well garden space and fence posts and... typical homestead and small scale farming. I know I need a PTO for equipment, and a front-end loader would be ideal (but possibly beyond the budget). I hope to be able to buy a second/better tractor down the road, but for now, primarily the land clearing and pasture preparation (and fence posts, lots and lots of fence posts!)

- K

• Moderators

Look for leaks, check the steering for excess play, and load the hydraulics to make sure they work properly. Hydraulic pumps and tires are among the most expensive things to replace on a tractor.

I'd prefer a diesel. I'd also want either a shuttle shift, or a hydrostat drive.

+1 on this. Mechanical over looks.

Thanks guys!

We are in the process of acquiring some property that is mostly wooded. I will have a lot of land/tree's to clear, and want to create acre's of pasture, as well garden space and fence posts and... typical homestead and small scale farming. I know I need a PTO for equipment, and a front-end loader would be ideal (but possibly beyond the budget). I hope to be able to buy a second/better tractor down the road, but for now, primarily the land clearing and pasture preparation (and fence posts, lots and lots of fence posts!)

- K

Either buy a small farm dozier to initially clear the property or find someone who'll do some bartering with you to clear it with their own dozier. As long as you offer to pay fuel costs someone will eventually come through on a barter deal. Once you've done this you can get by just fine with a Ford 4000 or 4600 tractor. These are easy to find parts for and work on just don't by one that needs to be rebuilt. Its more cost effective to pay more for good equipment then spending the money you saved (and more) on repairs.

• Like 1

Either buy a small farm dozier to initially clear the property or find someone who'll do some bartering with you to clear it with their own dozier. As long as you offer to pay fuel costs someone will eventually come through on a barter deal. Once you've done this you can get by just fine with a Ford 4000 or 4600 tractor. These are easy to find parts for and work on just don't by one that needs to be rebuilt. Its more cost effective to pay more for good equipment then spending the money you saved (and more) on repairs.

This is an extremely good idea. I have a 35hp Kubota with a loader and I wouldn't think of trying to clear land with it. It's not that big a machine but still weighs 6000lb w loaded tires.

Any rubber tired machine that you can afford will struggle with that type of work.

Are any of the trees worth selling?

Clear it with a tracked machine beg borrow barter whatever you can. Then build your fences, maintain etc with a tractor.

I wouldn't buy any tracked machine for under $5,000 and probably not under $10k. Undercarriage will be shot, and you'll spend as much time repairing it as you will running it. Parts aren't cheap, light, or easy to maneuver when you get into track drivelines. 

If you're talking about initial clearing for a house, hire it out. A pro can get more done in less time and usually costs less overall than trying to rent something and do it yourself. If the big work is already done and you're just looking for a maintenance machine, then a good used tractor is the way to go. Do you want to mow the yard with it? If so, you're looking pretty small and probably gas powered. If you're willing to have a tractor and a separate mower you have much better options than an all in one machine can give you. When looking at tractors, ignore engine HP. It's a marketing trick that manufacturers have started the last few years. Look at PTO HP. If you have 100 engine HP and a horrible drivetrain, you may only get 50 HP at the PTO. Implements are driven off the PTO, and are rated for PTO HP. A hydrostat transmission will eat up more power than a gear/ clutch system will, but it's worth it in my opinion, especially for loader work. I don't know if you'll find one for under $5k though. Look for live/ independent hydraulics and PTO.  

In middle TN, the small Fords are overpriced. They're extremely popular, but I could (and did) buy a bigger IH with a loader and fewer hours for less than a Ford. They're great tractors, but not worth the premium in my opinion. 

• Like 2

Thanks again for all the info!

It will likely be a multi-year project to clear things, but I do have options to borrow and/or rent larger equipment. Hence the diesel vs. gas question - one of the first things I'll be acquiring is a fuel-tank for the site (as I can borrow a bobcat occasionally if I can fill the tank... but it's diesel!)

I have looked at buying a small dozer/backhoe... but I'm not the most mechanical guy, and would be better off renting one for a few weeks here and there (and not having the headaches and maintenance). Entry price is pretty steep to that level of equipment, too. Even if I had the capital, I don't want to tie it up on a piece of equipment that's temporary. I've seen a few older backhoe's on other farms (and could use the front loader if my tractor doesn't have one), but am scared of buying a lemon/money pit. If I was better at fixing that kinda stuff.... Maybe the lottery will come through, LOL!

There may be some valuable wood there, but I don't think much... If anything, want to keep what I can (to use as lumber and to make fenceposts!) It is mostly hardwoods, I've ID'd elm and oak. However I currently work for a tree service company, and a truckload is only worth about $400 these days - I'm told the pulp-mill pays more than the sawmill, believe it or not!

Make sure any small tractor you look at has a live PTO. It is difficult to operate some PTO driven equipment with out live PTO. Especially a bush hog or mower.

I own a Caterpillar D3B dozer and it is a money pit. I spent $500 the other day for filters and oil for an engine, transmission change. Steer clutches are $2300. per side. Good tax deduction if you are eligible.

• Like 1
You should get an agricultural consider an agriculture tax exemption certificate if you plan to engage in any farm activity - it will let you get tax free off road diesel and also save o other farm related purchases.

Also - you may want to take a look at buying a new tractor- all brands offer zero percent financing and if you think you may file a schedule F you can write off the purchase as a section 179 expense in its entirety. This will lower the price by your marginal tax rate - probably 28% for most people. Buying used really is tough to argue for given those two things
  • Like 1
About this time last year I started looking for a used tractor. After a month or two I decided I wanted ROPs, four wheel drive, a front end loader and a tractor younger than me. Most late model tractors were within $5000 of the price of a new one so I bought Kubota L3901 and have never regretted it.
I also looked at Mahindra and Koiti, they were good looking tractors but I went with reputation of Kubota.

Thanks Gary, my BIL has a Kubota, says they are built like a Tank.

Dunno if I'd qualify for an Ag. cert, I won't be doing any commercial-type farming, it's just for my sanity and the family's sustenance. If for some reason I'm wildly successful, I might try a roadside stand (up the road a ways...), but that'd be strictly cash-business. ;)

- K

Thanks Gary, my BIL has a Kubota, says they are built like a Tank.
Dunno if I'd qualify for an Ag. cert, I won't be doing any commercial-type farming, it's just for my sanity and the family's sustenance. If for some reason I'm wildly successful, I might try a roadside stand (up the road a ways...), but that'd be strictly cash-business. ;)

- K

I believe TN requires either $1,000 or $10,000 a year in business money moving around to qualify for an ag tax exemption. I looked it up once, but it's been a couple of years.

I believe TN requires either $1,000 or $10,000 a year in business money moving around to qualify for an ag tax exemption. I looked it up once, but it's been a couple of years.

That is one of several options to qualify. You do not necessarily have to operate a business and certainly you can be in the start up stage where you have no income but anticipate future income.

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/revenue/attachments/f1308401.pdf

I strongly recommend bringing the form i person to the TN Dept of revenue as there will be a guarantee that some stupid thing wont be to their liking and you can solve the issue on the spot vs mailing back and forth.
  • Like 1