Anyone going to Bonnaroo?

44 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

So my friends conned me into going to Bonnaroo. Anyone else going?

Went last year, it was a BLAST.  are you staying there?  we found it better to drive back and forth.  If you arrive at 9am the day it starts, there was only a 5 minute wait to get the car searched and on the way to parking.  Compared to the 8-10 hour backup down the interstate the night before from campers coming in.

28 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Sounds like fun, but my festival days are past.

not an excuse there, you would be amazed at how many older people set up camp and hang out.  they don't run around crazy like the kids, but there's a ton of them outside the internal perimeter with straight up colonies built from tents and campers.

1 hour ago, Sam1 said:

Went last year, it was a BLAST.  are you staying there?  we found it better to drive back and forth.  If you arrive at 9am the day it starts, there was only a 5 minute wait to get the car searched and on the way to parking.  Compared to the 8-10 hour backup down the interstate the night before from campers coming in.

They search your car?  Do tell.

7 hours ago, Ski said:

They search your car?  Do tell.

Yeah they do a better car search than what happens at most military bases - they have police on site to address any legal issues and nurses there to verify any medications that are being brought in.  You can bring beer but no liquor.  Most people put liquor in coke bottles or water bottles etc. to get it in, any illegal stuff they just carry on themselves because they don't search the person nor do they have any dogs there to sniff things out.

When we went, the car in front of us had a huge prescription bottle of of something that the nurse took which caught my eye, so when I got there I showed her my heart meds & and asked what the deal was with the other car.  The lady said they had a year's prescription worth of Xanax for their dog... and the dog wasn't with them.  She said it was a ridiculous amount, so they confiscated instead of being denied access.

For anyone that goes, take multiple cases of small bottles of water. DO NOT DRINK THE WATER AT THE REFILL STATIONS THERE.  I filled up a bottle late one night there and the next day we looked at it and it had some nasty stuff in there.  There are two perimeters; one gets you into the parking/camping area - they search your car. The second perimeter is where all the concerts happen, you have to do an individual search there - but, you are allowed to take sealed bottles of water through that point.  The three of us would always carry a backpack and had 10-12 bottles of water each so we didn't have to buy that $4-5 water.

We also had as much fun hanging out with people at their tents in the camping area as we did when we were inside at the concerts (met some really cool guys that came all the way from Scotland that were a hoot).  Some really cool people are there; there are a lot of hippies, but not as many as you would think.  It's primarily just normal people decompressing for a weekend.

<edit> I think they allow people to take small amounts of liquor there, but unsure on the amount.  People were telling us they had so much they had to sneak it in.  We just took water & beer so no clue on the quantity limits.

Edited by Sam1

My friends say the search isn't much more than a glance when going into the VIP camping area.  I don't think liquor is an issue in the camping area, but you do have to be a bit creative to get it into the main stage areas.  As with anything, I think not acting like a moron and using some decent discretion goes a long way. 

14 hours ago, Hozzie said:

I am going to see Pearl Jam. If it's my time, it's my time. We are going VIP so we at least have air conditioned showers and toilets.

I assume this isn't your first time seeing PJ?

1 hour ago, Hozzie said:

Actually it is.  I am not a big concert guy for the most part, but I loved Pearl Jam back in my college days.  Figured it was a good chance to see them before they get too old.

Enjoy. They always used to put on a good show.

3 hours ago, Pete123 said:

My nephew goes w his buddies every year and loves it.  I don't care for crowds.  On top of that, most of the folks I would really want to see are dead or in their 70s.

We seen the remnants of earth wind and fire last year and it was just as good of a show as you would have expected 30 years ago.