Clinton urges intel 'surge,' assault-weapons ban in wake of Orlando attack

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/breakingnews/clinton-urges-intel-surge-assault-weapons-ban-in-wake-of-orlando-attack/ar-AAgZwEk?li=BBnbcA1

Hillary Clinton called Monday for an "intelligence surge" and a ban on assault weapons as part of a mutil-pronged strategy to confront homegrown terrorism, in the first of two security speeches by the 2016 candidates one day after the worst shooting in U.S. history. 

The presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, following the Orlando terror attack, called on Americans to fight terrorism at home with “clear eyes” and “steady hands.” She delivered a carefully calibrated message, calling for America to get tougher on terrorists while also renewing gun control proposals that have failed to gain steam in Congress. 

At the Cleveland campaign event, she drew cheers from the crowd after calling for a ban on assault weapons.

“Weapons of war have no place on our streets,” Clinton said. 

Clinton also said if she were in the White House, a top priority would be “identifying and stopping lone wolves,” like the Orlando shooter.

She also called for increased efforts to remove Islamic State messages from the Internet and said “peace-loving Muslims are in the best position to help fight radicalization.”

Clinton and Donald Trump, the presumptive Republican nominee, were giving back-to-back speeches on Monday, laying out very different visions for confronting the safety concerns that weigh heavily on voters.

Trump’s speech was originally supposed to focus on his case against the Clintons – but Trump changed his focus following the attack in Orlando that left 49 people dead and dozens injured. The gunman died in a shootout with police. 

Trump is speaking shortly in New Hampshire. 

In morning show interviews, meanwhile, Trump doubled down on his call for temporarily banning Muslims immigration to the U.S., despite the fact the shooter in Sunday's Orlando nightclub attack was an American citizen born in New York.

On Monday, President Obama said investigators believe the gunman was not directed by external extremist groups, instead saying the shooter “was inspired by various extremist information that was disseminated over the Internet.”

He added that there is “no direct evidence” the shooter “was part of a larger plot.”

Clinton warned earlier Monday against demonizing an entire religion, saying doing so would play into the hands of the Islamic State group.

"We can call it radical jihadism, we can call it radical Islamism," Clinton said on CNN's "New Day." "But we also want to reach out to the vast majority of American-Muslims and Muslims around this country, this world, to help us defeat this threat, which is so evil and has got to be denounced by everyone, regardless of religion."

She also reiterated her call for an assault weapons ban that would outlaw one of the weapons used by the Orlando shooter. "We know the gunman used a weapon of war to shoot down at least 50 innocent Americans.”

The horrific shooting consumed the White House race just as Trump and Clinton were fully plunging into the general election. It served as a reminder to the candidates and voters alike that the next president will lead a nation facing unresolved questions about how to handle threats that can feel both foreign and all too familiar.

Authorities identified the killer in Orlando as Omar Mateen, a 29-year-old American-born Muslim. FBI officials said they had investigated him in 2013 and 2014 on suspicion of terrorist sympathies but could not make a case against him.

Mateen opened fire at the Pulse Orlando club with an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle. He called 911 during the attack to profess his allegiance to the Islamic State terrorist organization though it was unclear whether he had any direct contact with ISIS or was just inspired by them.

15 minutes ago, Trekbike said:

From what I understand, France has the rifle bans and yet they had many more killed. A lot of good their ban did...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I got this from a friend earlier today in an email...

Hello.

A few words to tell you we are all chocked for the Orlando shootings.

After the Paris attack I thought it might be safer to move the family back to Florida.

Well..it looks like those crazy guys are everywhere!

We'll get rid of them I am sure but it won't be easy and will take time.

Be certain you are not alone in this fight!

Kind regards

Chris 

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le Jun 13, 2016 à 7:53 PM

So the government is going to infringe in everyone's rights more and fail to make us safer...

We are at war and the USA has never fought a war on our home soil. We need to toughen up and be aware that the enemy is among us. We are forced into reactionary defensive tactics if we don't want to loose a great many of our freedoms. Like it or not this is the choice.

I pick keeping my freedoms (all of them) warts and all, and defending ourselves when attacked. If we allow ourselves to be terrorized they win. Don't allow yourself to freeze in terror and when struck, strike back with superior force, tactics, and most importantly courage.

Our government isn't able to fix this simply because they can't be everywhere...

The bad guys have a choice. Let the sleeping dog be, or kick him and suffer the bite. I hope that our country is up to the task.

• Authorized Vendor

Hillary Clinton called Monday for an "intelligence surge" and a ban on assault weapons as part of a mutil-pronged strategy to confront homegrown terrorism, in the first of two security speeches by the 2016 candidates one day after the worst shooting in U.S. history. 

The problem is the left and that old skank have law abiding gun owners included in the same group as that evil POS that just killed 49 people. She wants us to suffer cause we own those evil black rifles.

• Like 2
  • Admin Team
1 hour ago, TrickyNicky said:

I'd say she is more of a carbuncle than anything, but thats just me. And no, I don't mean the gem...

Per Mark Twain on the opening page of his travel epilogue Following the Equator:

"The dictionary says a carbuncle is a kind of jewel. Humor is out of place in a dictionary."

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Sidecarist said:

So the government is going to infringe in everyone's rights more and fail to make us safer...

This is what it comes down to.  I know that we focus on the guns here, but Hillary's aims aren't that limited.  Incidents like this will be used to justify everything the NSA is doing, and everything they wish they could be doing.  Next they'll use social media postings to justify law enforcement actions, ect...

It's not just the Second Amendment that Hillary sees as an impediment.  Trump's the same way, and he's on record as being all for the "deep state"  He's just paying lip service to the Second, so that, coupled with Hillary's reputation has enough people distracted and failing to see this is a two headed problem. 

2 minutes ago, btq96r said:

This is what it comes down to.  I know that we focus on the guns here, but Hillary's aims aren't that limited.  Incidents like this will be used to justify everything the NSA is doing, and everything they wish they could be doing.  Next they'll use social media postings to justify law enforcement actions, ect...

It's not just the Second Amendment that Hillary sees as an impediment.  Trump's the same way, and he's on record as being all for the "deep state"  He's just paying lip service to the Second, so that, coupled with Hillary's reputation has enough people distracted and failing to see this is a two headed problem. 

Sorry, I don't buy that for one minute. I'm not a fan of Trump but I believe his body language when he talks about the 2nd.

Just now, SWJewellTN said:

Sorry, I don't buy that for one minute. I'm not a fan of Trump but I believe his body language when he talks about the 2nd.

Between his becoming pro-gun lining up time wise with his presidential ambitions, and his willingness to "make deals," I would be worried about his willingness to compromise on gun rights.  At least with Hillary, she isn't hiding it, and galvanizes support against her.

3 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Between his becoming pro-gun lining up time wise with his presidential ambitions, and his willingness to "make deals," I would be worried about his willingness to compromise on gun rights.  At least with Hillary, she isn't hiding it, and galvanizes support against her.

He's never mentioned making deals and the 2nd in the context of each other. I think you are trying too hard to make a connection between the two.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

He's never mentioned making deals and the 2nd in the context of each other. I think you are trying too hard to make a connection between the two.

Admittedly, I don't trust Trump with anything.  I remain skeptical about someone with his track record of switching positions with the wind who only started talking the right way about guns once he wanted to get elected.

15 minutes ago, btq96r said:

You can bet your ass that the NRA boys had a serious talk with him. He had to make them believe to win their strong support. I have some faith that they are not easily fooled. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Admittedly, I don't trust Trump with anything.  I remain skeptical about someone with his track record of switching positions with the wind who only started talking the right way about guns once he wanted to get elected.

In a way I think the willingness to change one's position based on further information is a sign of intelligence. As long as it's based on information rather than the wind I'm ok with it. When I was young I thought I was a democrat. Would I be more acceptable here if I had remained so?  I don't respect anyone who digs in their heels and gives no heed to new facts as they arise. Given his being a New Yorker and their long history of being anti-gun, I wouldn't expect him to be pro-2nd his entire life. People like Kasich, on the other hand, are a different matter. He can state how pro-2nd he is but his actions demonstrate otherwise.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, btq96r said:

And Hillary was against gay marriage. They have to have some outer layer of slime to get elected. If Trump flips on guns, he will lose millions of supporters. Ask our current Dip#### in Chief how that works.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

In a way I think the willingness to change one's position based on further information is a sign of intelligence. As long as it's based on information rather than the wind I'm ok with it. When I was young I thought I was a democrat. Would I be more acceptable here if I had remained so?  I don't respect anyone who digs in their heels and gives no heed to new facts as they arise. Given his being a New Yorker and their long history of being anti-gun, I wouldn't expect him to be pro-2nd his entire life. People like Kasich, on the other hand, are a different matter. He can state how pro-2nd he is but his actions demonstrate otherwise.

Yep. If you don't evolve, you are a knothead. Being a born and bred child of NYC, he should be as anti-gun as Mayor Pipsqueak.