New TGO CMT build

I picked up a 2nd TGO set a year ago or so and wanted to build it different with a longer barrel. I built the lower not long after I bought them but the upper has been on the back burner due to wanting to sbr the other TGO set and buy an Omega suppressor. Since I've finished those two items off the "want/need" list I got started on this again. So before I continue with the build list, the first thing most of you should notice is the birdcage isn't timed. I'm puttin an Odin Works comp on this rifle until my Omega gets out of jail, so the A2 is just there to protect the threads and only had a used crush washer. Pains me to see it on this rifle but I had to do with what I had. :)

CMT TGO receivers

CMMG lower parts kit with trigger soon to be replaced with ALG ACT

Magpul MOE+ grip and Moe stock

Geissele Mk8 13" Mlok rail

Seekins Precision bolt catch and mag release

BCM bolt carrier group, Mod 3 charging handle, and buffer tube assembly

Ballistic Advantage Hanson 18" barrel with pinned gas block (waiting on Odin comp)

A.R.M.S. 30mm qd rings

Optics ?? Thinking something along the lines of 4-12ish in probably Vortex?

BUIS- Troy Battlesights will be my choice

20160618_115201_zpshokykfx2.jpg20160618_115210_zpskxceeuod.jpg20160618_115228_zpslcqxn04r.jpg20160618_115255_zps1phjxjsi.jpg20160618_115306_zps1ewdjmg6.jpg20160618_115337_zpsxtbqtrqe.jpg

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 11
1 hour ago, bigun said:

NICE

Thank you bigun!

1 hour ago, MrsMonkeyMan2500 said:

That's a beautiful build! I wish we could do another buy like that again. I actually got the upper and lower and we built a great AR for me. Light, easy to use and comfortable for me. 

Great job!

Thanks alot MMM! I truly enjoyed building this one, and really love how it turned out. Ballistic Advantage barrels are really nice. I spent a lot of time talking to them at the NRA show in Louisville this year and decided to give them a shot. Very happy that I did and only have to shoot it to be completely satisfied. The have a sub-moa guarantee with match ammo that I can't wait to put to the test :)

Also, the Geissele Mk8 rail was very easy to mount and made extremely well. What else would you expect from Geissele though right?

I would also like to do another group buy on a TGO set. I need to do a family photo of my two CMT's and post them together :cheers:

1 minute ago, hipower said:

Very nice rifle. I tend to gravitate towards carbine length, but thinking my next AR will be a 20+.

But what do I know, I'm still into AR9. lol

Thanks Hipower! My first couple were carbine length (gas systems anyway) and then started reading about smoothness of mid-length. All of the remaining builds are middy's. As far as barrel length, I've been wanting to do an 18" for a couple years but then all of a sudden this year I got the bug for a 24" fluted barrel. Not sure why, I was just interested. I found some through Sanders Armory out of Florida and almost went for it but as soon as I talked to the guys at BA I decided the Hanson profile 18" was my direction. I really would have preferred to have a rifle length gas system on this particular barrel but I am sure I'll still be happy with it. I reckon I'll still do the 24" at some point, but I want another SBR, I want an AK, I want a few scopes, I want....to have the money to do all of them! :lol:

I don't have an AR9 so when I do I may have to ask you for help HAHA!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, rugerla1 said:

Thanks Hipower! My first couple were carbine length (gas systems anyway) and then started reading about smoothness of mid-length. All of the remaining builds are middy's. As far as barrel length, I've been wanting to do an 18" for a couple years but then all of a sudden this year I got the bug for a 24" fluted barrel. Not sure why, I was just interested. I found some through Sanders Armory out of Florida and almost went for it but as soon as I talked to the guys at BA I decided the Hanson profile 18" was my direction. I really would have preferred to have a rifle length gas system on this particular barrel but I am sure I'll still be happy with it. I reckon I'll still do the 24" at some point, but I want another SBR, I want an AK, I want a few scopes, I want....to have the money to do all of them! :lol:

I don't have an AR9 so when I do I may have to ask you for help HAHA!

If you want it screwed up beyond all recognition...sure.  Actually, I have yet to do a total build. Everything I have has been just upper and lower mating. And I haven't yet fouled it up.

I haven't done anything like over 75 yards with a rifle, but in the back of my pointy little head there's the urge to try something longer range.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, hipower said:

If you want it screwed up beyond all recognition...sure.  Actually, I have yet to do a total build. Everything I have has been just upper and lower mating. And I haven't yet fouled it up.

I haven't done anything like over 75 yards with a rifle, but in the back of my pointy little head there's the urge to try something longer range.

Oh in that case, I'll feel right at home! :rofl:

I think a 9mm in AR platform would be fun, even if I had no real "reason" to have it but to have it.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MrsMonkeyMan2500 said:

That's a beautiful build! I wish we could do another buy like that again. I actually got the upper and lower and we built a great AR for me. Light, easy to use and comfortable for me. 

Great job!

that's an idea worth considering.... I wonder what the chances are?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, rugerla1 said:

Oh in that case, I'll feel right at home! :rofl:

I think a 9mm in AR platform would be fun, even if I had no real "reason" to have it but to have it.

I've been laughed at for it in the past, but they've gotten really, really popular of late. My favorite so far is the PSA Hybrid 9 that uses Glock mags. I've yet to have any issues with it and approaching 1000 rounds thru it. No it doesn't have a BHO, but that's not stopped my enjoyment yet.

My next move on one is to sbr an 8.5 inch upper and add a can. I'm incorrigible.

Sadly, the money is stopping me.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, hipower said:

I've been laughed at for it in the past, but they've gotten really, really popular of late. My favorite so far is the PSA Hybrid 9 that uses Glock mags. I've yet to have any issues with it and approaching 1000 rounds thru it. No it doesn't have a BHO, but that's not stopped my enjoyment yet.

My next move on one is to sbr an 8.5 inch upper and add a can. I'm incorrigible.

Sadly, the money is stopping me.

I'm really green on ARs, I have 2 but rarely get them out. What you're talking about sounds right up my alley.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:36 PM, Esko 270 said:

I'm really green on ARs, I have 2 but rarely get them out. What you're talking about sounds right up my alley.

I was a little reluctant to go the AR route myself. But after shooting a few in 9, I was hooked. I love the PSA model. At roughly 1000 retail, it's not cheap, but I don't regret selling a pistol or 2 and getting one. As I've said before, the only possible drawback to them, so far, is the lack of the last round bolt hold open feature.

• Like 2

I really can't wait to shoot this rifle for the first time! I may have time this weekend, but I'm going to have to do some serious squeezing of duties to make it happen. Even then, it may not be possible. I already have the A.R.M.S. 30mm mounts but still need a scope. I guess irons will have to do for now until I get the funds for the optic. I don't want to skimp on glass, which will make the wait even longer. I guess I could mount one of my old fixed power scopes on temporarily.

5 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

Sure is a good looking rifle for such an ugly man. :D:D:D

gratz man, that's slick. I've always loved the look of that rail.

:lol: I agree!

Thanks NBS, I've never ran a Geiselle rail, but liked the other versions they had. When I started seeing reviews of the Mk8, I knew right then that I wanted it on this build. Definitely not on the cheap side but I'm not putting one on every AR I own either!

• Like 1
Just now, rugerla1 said:

:lol: I agree!

Thanks NBS, I've never ran a Geiselle rail, but liked the other versions they had. When I started seeing reviews of the Mk8, I knew right then that I wanted it on this build. Definitely not on the cheap side but I'm not putting one on every AR I own either!

OH I know you put a few pennies into that rail.. but honestly if you love it, it's worth it. I'm the same way. I know that I could buy a knock off for 1/3 of the price.... but i'll never be satisfied with it unless I get what I want. This is also why I have a smaller collection and tons of "long term" projects. :D

• Like 1
14 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

OH I know you put a few pennies into that rail.. but honestly if you love it, it's worth it. I'm the same way. I know that I could buy a knock off for 1/3 of the price.... but i'll never be satisfied with it unless I get what I want. This is also why I have a smaller collection and tons of "long term" projects. :D

You've gotta learn to settle for what you can get and learn to love it...my wife loves it when I say that.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, mikegideon said:

Nice rifle. I almost always spend "too much" money on handguards.

All of my handguards cost less then this one. But given the quality and the fact that they give you a gas block with the rail it is worth the money. Just that most of the time for me, I'm scrimping and scraping to get a hundred bucks together for a cheaper rail. My UTG rail is still one of my favorite bargain priced rails! But it's only a problem because I wasn't happy with just one really nice and expensive AR. I had to go and learn how to build the damn evil things! :rofl:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a small clip of me running the new rifle. I got the buis dialed in quickly and decided to test out the new JP 3.5 lb springs I'd added to the ALG QMS trigger/hammer. I was initially concerned with light primer strikes since the springs felt extremely light compared to anything I've used. But it ran very smooth with no issues at all.