Knowledge me up: .308 semi auto

Pete123

you don't want a Winchester 100. They had a firing pin recall back in the 80's and most of them never got the very few FP's that were made. On top of that the action bars get fatigued and become brittle and crack if they get shot a lot. They are great as M88 lever guns but the autos were way too weak a design.

I have a SAR48 FAL and would never sell it. I tuned it for reloads and shot a fluke group once of 10 consecutive in 3/8ths hole at 100.

falmount003.jpg

The Saw butt went down the road because of the super low check weld. I bought a first year M1A back in 77 and it was a very reliable shooter but what killed it for me was the hot barrel wandering groups. NM bedding is not a easy fix so I sold it and went for the FAL & never looked back. Hot barrel wandering is nearly non existent compared to the M1A. I was drooling over this one just from condition alone! I wasn't the only one as you can see it top at nearly a grand and that is really not bad at all.   http://www.gunbroker.com/item/563196578 There are basic kits running about 500 on GB and the boys over at FAL Files will walk you threw getting a receiver and what all. But you need FAL specific tools and good machine understanding to get the barrel timing right w/ headspacing a recoil shoulder fitment. If you are going after a group shooter build on the AR platform. They are the easiest to dial in for that but its tough to beat the machined quality (NON stamping reciever) of the battle tested FAL. You just cant go wrong with a FAL and its with in your price range.

• Like 1

RM1308SPECIAL

CMP Special (.308) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. A .308 spacer block is installed to prevent the loading of a .30-06 round into the chamber.

$1,030
Allow 30-60 days for delivery.

Free Shipping

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

CMP is offering some 308 Garand's.

• Like 1

I considered a PTR 91 or M1A for a long time or a Larue Predator in 7.62 but I decided to go big, so I saved and waited for 5 years and I just purchased a FN Scar 17S in FDE. I'm glad I did and couldn't be happier, I realize that it's not in everyone's budget, but if you have time to save and can wait I highly recommend them. But if you can't wait I'd recommend the Springfield M1A, just my .02. But if you like the AR style .308 then you might wanna go dpms, good rifle and on the lower end of the price spectrum of battle rifles.  

image_zps0n3g85dp.jpeg

• Like 1

All this great input has me thinking towards saving and getting an FN FAL.  It isn't that much more that the S&W or DPMS.

Gen. George Patton, 'Gunny' Sgt. R Lee Ermey all see the M1 Garand the same way.  I can't bring myself to deface a piece of history so it will take a magazine and a new one somehow just isn't the same.

I take it that FAL is a descriptive term like AR 15, and not tied to a manufacturer.  Should I try for an FN?  Who else makes really high quality FALs under $1500?