fire source.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I like BIC lighters. Zippos run out of fuel daily, it seems like. The BIC lighter seems to last without breaking like the cheap ones. Carry trioxane with you. If your going to have a lighter stashed in a pack, either put it inside something that won't let the gas lever be pushed down or put something underneath the lever so you don't find yourself without fluid.

I also have a swedish fire steel that I use with vaseline soaked cottonballs. It works okay. The mag bars are alright, but I've found it is better to shave or file the bar into an empty Skoal can and tape it shut for later use. Shaving the mag bars is a pain in the ass and the shavings go everywhere. Trioxane will start a fire even if the wood is damp.

Guest canynracer

Bic, and other cigarette lighters...get em at the dollar store in bulk...i have a couple in my truck in ziplocs, one in my pocket, and they are all over the house, also have one in the disaster kit.

you can use them to open a bottle of beer too :mad:

Nice thing about bic lighters; they're cheap; Buy a dozen and stick 'em everywhere.

what about a cheap ($5) windproof/waterproof refillable lighter? Are they worth it or just something that will get lost quicker than a bic?

Guest canynracer
what about a cheap ($5) windproof/waterproof refillable lighter? Are they worth it or just something that will get lost quicker than a bic?

they run out of fluid quicker...as a smoker, that can light my cigarette while riding my motorcycle :D...you need not worry bout the wind proof things...

As far as a fire source, I like the Bic. For tinder, I keep my eyes out for small bird nests in the fall. Put that upside down at the bottom of a small teepee of sticks and you'll be blazing in no time. I've started fires in a slight to steady rain using an old bird nest as tinder.

Ya know what tickles me?

Everyone of the survival shows will have the survivalist starting a fire with a knife,and flint,or a car battery,and steel wool,or a disposable camera,and a pudding cup.

These are all great things to know,but wouldn't it have just been easier to pack up a Bic,then the 20 lb car battery in the emergency kit! :tinfoil:

+10 on the lighters from the dollar store! I swear Ive got a million of those things laying around.

Guest bkelm18
Ya know what tickles me?

Everyone of the survival shows will have the survivalist starting a fire with a knife,and flint,or a car battery,and steel wool,or a disposable camera,and a pudding cup.

These are all great things to know,but wouldn't it have just been easier to pack up a Bic,then the 20 lb car battery in the emergency kit! :tinfoil:

+10 on the lighters from the dollar store! I swear Ive got a million of those things laying around.

Well yeah, duh, but they usually are just trying to show what to do if you didn't have the foresight of packing a Bic. It's for the liberals who are afraid of fire and think lighters should be banned. They need a way to start one too. :P

they run out of fluid quicker...as a smoker, that can light my cigarette while riding my motorcycle :grouchy:...you need not worry bout the wind proof things...

I've done that once (smoke a cig on a motorcycle) -- burned my lips on the 2nd drag. :foot:

Back to the topic, I agree - BIC lighters are the most reliable & convenient fire source I've found.

Guest canynracer
Well yeah, duh, but they usually are just trying to show what to do if you didn't have the foresight of packing a Bic. It's for the liberals who are afraid of fire and think lighters should be banned. They need a way to start one too. :grouchy:

nope...sorry, they banned the use of fire...its for the children.

Edited by canynracer
nope...sorry, they banned the use of fire...its for the children.

they only use these:

heat.jpg

Red X in box has disappeared.

I had said that I was hardcore and I harnessed lightning to build my fires, but Red X box's, wow, that is hardcore!

Edited by db99wj
Guest EasilyObsessed

I keep a box of stormproof matches in several places, but I normally just keep a bic lighter with my camping gear, daypack, mountain bike, car, etc. I have used these matches several times when it was SUPER windy outdoor and I just couldnt get a bic to light. I even managed to get these matches to light once when they were wet. YMMV.

These are the ones I use.

Seems no one else is gonna ask so I have to. How in the world do you open a beer bottle with a bic lighter?:grouchy:

Yup! Use your finger as a wedge... used to do it in my younger days.

Won't work with a "cricket" lighter. (At least not back then, plastic was to thin... they'd crack.)

*Uh... no longer drink guys. 16 Years stone cold sober. :foot:

Guest canynracer
Seems no one else is gonna ask so I have to. How in the world do you open a beer bottle with a bic lighter?:D

Not a bic...these thinner lighters tend to crack...but same concept.

[ame]

[/ame]