fire source.

I keep at least 3 ways to light a fire. Bic - cheap, readily available, Strike anywhere matches, and flint/steel combo.

I also keep some cotton balls that are "soaked" in Vaseline in my car bag and with my gear. The Vaseline will keep the cotton burning for awhile and will light slightly damp tinder. When using the cotton balls "fluff one up and put some tinder on it. Works like a charm.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EasilyObsessed

Just one more idea to throw out there after getting hooked on Survivorman and watching every single episode....

You can get a block of magnesium. Shave off a small pile of flakes with your knife. You then hit that with whatever spark you have available. Appeared to work pretty well. Im going to try it out this weekend while camping.

Guest EasilyObsessed

Speaking of Survivorman (who may very well be my new idol after watching all the episodes)...has anyone seen the special he did called "Off the Grid"?

He constructed, with the help of his family, a self sufficient house with a rain water collection system, well, solar, and wind power. Makes me really want to do the same at some point in time. (Except I would still need internet access.... :P).

Speaking of Survivorman (who may very well be my new idol after watching all the episodes)...has anyone seen the special he did called "Off the Grid"?

He constructed, with the help of his family, a self sufficient house with a rain water collection system, well, solar, and wind power. Makes me really want to do the same at some point in time. (Except I would still need internet access.... :P).

I've thought about doing the same.

You could always get one of those satelite deals, but I don't know much about them...

Guest EasilyObsessed
I've thought about doing the same.

You could always get one of those satelite deals, but I don't know much about them...

Unfortunately, the latency is terrible on satellite internet. Not too big of a deal with web browsing, but trying to use it for remote connectivity into a workstation or server is terribly frustrating.

Unfortunately, the latency is terrible on satellite internet. Not too big of a deal with web browsing, but trying to use it for remote connectivity into a workstation or server is terribly frustrating.

I see.

That wouldn't be a concern of mine personally, I would just want a way to monitor the outside world (via news sites and email) from my OTG site.

Ive used magnesium,and a flint several times before when I did scouts.It works well as long as you have a handful of drier lint handy ....... which kinda defeats the purpose if you're trying to live of the grid or what ever.Dry leaves dont really burn that well like that,and its not enough to spark kindling.

As far as just plain flints go,I would still use a Bic.You can take a pinch of that same lint,and cram it in the Bics hot hole,and get a fire going thata way fairly easy.

The biggest problem I always had with a flint was having the knife blade go to far,and hit whatever I was trying to light :D which makes it realllllyyyy hard to light something.The Bic eliminates that problem.

As far as living off the grid,to me that means not frequenting Hooters,then going to Rossville Blvd in search of hooters by the hour.

Guest db99wj
Ive used magnesium,and a flint several times before when I did scouts.It works well as long as you have a handful of drier lint handy ....... which kinda defeats the purpose if you're trying to live of the grid or what ever.Dry leaves dont really burn that well like that,and its not enough to spark kindling.

As far as just plain flints go,I would still use a Bic.You can take a pinch of that same lint,and cram it in the Bics hot hole,and get a fire going thata way fairly easy.

The biggest problem I always had with a flint was having the knife blade go to far,and hit whatever I was trying to light ;) which makes it realllllyyyy hard to light something.The Bic eliminates that problem.

As far as living off the grid,to me that means not frequenting Hooters,then going to Rossville Blvd in search of hooters by the hour.

My vote for one of the dirtiest posts ever....:D

Someone once showed me how to start a fire using a piece of steel wool and a 9-volt battery several years ago. Pretty cool trick:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/351326/instant_fire_from_steel_wool_and_a_battery/

Dang, beat me to it.

It works, just make sure you tape the two poles of the battery over if you even think about storing it in the same pack or container or you will find it smoking when you don't want it to.

• 7 months later...

Potassium Permanganate + Glycerol

both easily purchased. very stable when seperated.

just a pinch of PP and a drop or two of G and you have FIRE.

i carry a little bit of both in my BOB, use them often.

plug these two into any search engine and instructions and videos abound.

j~

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't read every entry, but for a source of fire, you can't beat good old dryer lint kept in a zip-lock bag. Simple cotton balls with a dab of petroleum jelly is also great. The Aurora fire starter---a rod of flint and magnesium combined, is a regular spark monster! Small, light and relatively inexpensive.

I am a big fan of the magnesium blocks. I did a tour as a Naval Survival Instructor (SERE) and it is my preffered method. Yes Bic's are cheap and handy. Have you ever tried to start a fire with a Bic at 4 am after it had been raining for days and now the temp is around 15 degrees F? I have and I never carried a Bic after that night. Trust me, you will end up burning a good portion of your first aid kit to get a fire lite. I keep a mag block in each vehicle and on my bike. It will start a fire when other methods wont. Yes there are chemicals that will work, ever try brake fluid and shock treatment? Who wants the carry that much stuff with them?

DISCLAIMER: With the brake fluid and shock treatment fire starting, DO NOT try indoors nor under cover anywhere!!!! DO NOT breath the smoke!!!

Edited by buck1032
Spelling...

I have done the brake fluid and regular dry chlorine powder for pools. YES it starts a fire like crazy and yes you would be crazy to even carry these in the same vehicle. And yes the smoke will eat your lungs!

And yes, they will eat through a trucks bed after being combined. So I hear anyway.

Guest stovepipe

The biggest problem I always had with a flint was having the knife blade go to far,and hit whatever I was trying to light :( which makes it realllllyyyy hard to light something. The Bic eliminates that problem.

QUOTE]

Hi Strickj,

That'll work, but is a common problem when using a flint rod and steel. Instead of scraping the flint with your knife blade towards and knocking your tinder, try setting your flint in or below your tinder, place your knife at the top of the flint, (near the tinder) then draw the flint back. Your sparks will be direct and intense. I can usually get my birdnest of whatever tinder started on my first attempt.

Lighters are great, but I've had them run out of fuel or break on more than one occasion. Flint and steels make a great back-up!

For wet weather use, WetFire can't be beat. (I think it's made by the same folks that make the Blast Match)

Edited by stovepipe

I use a bottle of MAPP gas with a self igniting torch head on it.

With that, I have started fires in downpours.

Obviously, I don't backpack but I always bring one along for just that reason.

Believe it or not, an Indian showed me that!

Never forgot it and brings a smile to my face every time I use it.