Optics

What flavor of DTI? What application is your rifle for? Target, hunting plinking, home defense? Scope or dot? What distance do you expect to cover? Do you have a budget number in mind?

The DT-15 base model. Home defense/#### hits the fan defense. Would definitely prefer dot. 200 and in (understanding that that isn't the easiest shot with a red dot). Would love to stay under 300 bucks but I doubt that'll happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eotech's are tough.  If it's working when you buy it, it will probably give you no issues.

But Dave is right, Vortex is another great optic.  I run their red dots on two AR's and their scopes on a hunting rifle.  Never an issue.

If you want small but effective get the Viper, just get a riser to get it up high enough to get it comfortable with your stock/cheek weld.

The bigger but cheaper option is the StrikeFire series.  Good solid optics.

I've heard good things about the Vortex Red Dots.  They're not Aimpoint tough, but for sit at home just in case, and the range, they'll get the job done.  The SPARC II and Strikefire II can be had for <$200 from the right places, though the mounts might put you over that price when all is said and done.

If you're not beating your rifle around Vortex will get the job done. I have one of their red dots on a rifle of mine and a friend has 4 on his rifles and neither one of us has had any issues. Their scopes are nice as well. Those might push your budget some but it would be worth it to at least look into them. 

Go up to $400, get the aimpoint pro. 200yds with a 50yd zero is cake. 

With recent issue/recall I wouldn't touch eotech. 

Primary arms advanced micro dot is really nice for about $200 with a mount. Long battery life. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, btq96r said:

I've heard good things about the Vortex Red Dots.  They're not Aimpoint tough, but for sit at home just in case, and the range, they'll get the job done.  The SPARC II and Strikefire II can be had for <$200 from the right places, though the mounts might put you over that price when all is said and done.

I have the Sparc II and love it.  I just ordered the new Sparc II AR.

Both Sparc II and Strikefire come with mounts, so extra cost is not a concern.  :-)

Aimpoint PRO or ACO. I'm sure you can play around with some members red dots if you want to. I know personally I can get you access to a vortex, a primary arms, and some Aimpoints. One of the best things I can tell you is to get a benefactor subscription and do some shopping on here.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It's quite a bit out of your budget, by IMHO the Aimpoint Micro is still the tops for this sort of application.

The PRO is a very good choice that gets closer to your price range.

I love my Eotechs, and still use them on a lot of guns, but for social purposes you just can't beat the "turn it on, leave it on, runs for years" aspect of the Aimpoints. 

• Like 1

Related.  Anyone see big differences in the Aimpoint type tubes and Eotech type optics?  I've read that Eotech is easier for "both eyes open," like home defense.  What about 200yds, like the OP wants?

Saw a Meprolight (Eotech type) for $325.  Meprolight is Israeli made and they say it has a couple months battery life.

@adamedwards_5 If you are willing to save up for a bit and go over your ~$200 range, the Aimpoint PRO is about the best overall value you can get these days. 

8 hours ago, musicman said:

I have the Sparc II and love it.  I just ordered the new Sparc II AR.

Both Sparc II and Strikefire come with mounts, so extra cost is not a concern.  :-)

Post some pics of it on an AR if you have a chance.  I'd be interested in seeing the mount for the SPARC II on an AR. 

19 minutes ago, walthermitty said:

Related.  Anyone see big differences in the Aimpoint type tubes and Eotech type optics?  I've read that Eotech is easier for "both eyes open," like home defense.  What about 200yds, like the OP wants?

The EoTech is better close in (IMO), because of the outer circle (65 MOA) that helps you get on target faster, and the rectangle window of an EoTech is easier to see from than the circular one in an Aimpoint.  Out to 200, I'd call it a draw.

Both are good though.  More important than anything is the ability of the shooter and willingness to keep in practice.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 2

Excellent and informative post by btq96r!

I have an EoTech 512 and an Aimpoint PRO and each serve their place very well.

I've had the EoTech since 2003 and therefore have more triggertime behind it.

I also have a Primary Arms Microdot and have no complaints whatsoever about it. While it wouldn't be my first choice on a serious use rifle in a battlefield scenario (not likely at my age LOL), I've run it through a class and several range sessions on an AK without any problems.

I currently have it mounted on my 10/22 and it's quite happy there. 

I need another one...

btq96r said it pretty well.  In the end it depends on how your eyesight works (some folks don't see the EOtech reticle well... particularly those with astigmatism),  but for me the EOTech is faster than ANYTHING inside of 50 yards. 

But the Micro is still really really fast, and I never have to turn it on.   :dirty:

Out past 50 and beyond, there's not much difference between them.

Edited by dcloudy777
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Jct1911 said:

Still needs a mount for an AR height though. 

Thanks for the clarification. That's what I get for glancing at the pictures and not reading the details. ;)

But like you said:

On 7/17/2016 at 7:49 PM, Jct1911 said:

really nice for about $200 with a mount

I'm mainly a H-1/T-1 kind of guy. Recently I moved some stuff around and in doing so I bought the new primary arms dot. This one has the extended battery life much like the T-1's. Other than getting used to the controls being different than the aimpoints I really like it. I have it on my Sig 5.56 pistol which has taken over as my truck gun.

We own one Eotech. It is for my wife. She has a hard time picking up the dot on an Aimpoint. For me, the Eotech is much harder to run accurately and I hate having that big piece of metal out there when running with both eyes open

Mark