Who EDC a Spare Pistol Mag IWB?

Who all carries a spare pistol mag IWB and how well does it work for you? What brand and style pouch are you using? Im contemplating picking up a dedicated pouch for a pistol mag instead of having one stashed in my cargo pocket. Im sure OWB is more comfortable but all i have seen sit to low on the belt line.

Use a vertical cellphone holder.  Cut out the shape of the mag from the dark foam packing insert.  Nobody notices because everybody has a cellphone.   Even carry my own phone in a carrier next to it and never have had a second look.  Anybody says anything I'll just say one is company and the other my personal.      Take your mag with you and make sure the case is tall enough and has a n insert.

• Like 2

I use a Remora with an attached mag pouch for my Kahr PM9. It looks like this, but with a different gun. If you carry your gun OWB, there are OWB holsters with a similar setup where the gun and extra mag are on the same holster setup.

IWB-MAG-POUCH.jpg

Edited by monkeylizard

I mostly use this Steller Rigs pocket holster for my Kahr (and no, you can't do a super high speed low drag tacticool reload :) )

Kahr-Stellar-new.jpg

But, for IWB carry with bigger mag, spare mag in horizontal pouch from Black Arch (formerly SHTF Gear):

SHTF_WhiteBox_08142014_005_28344c58-f033

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
2 hours ago, btq96r said:

I have this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0048KJB8U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Even OWB, it stays covered well enough since I don't tuck in my shirts.

Yeah, rereading, I guess OP was specifically asking about a mag carrier that's IWB itself. But like you, I don't tuck in shirts, just wear polo style most all the time, so a mag outside belt isn't a prob, especially carried horizontally. And comfy -- it's enough to have the heater itself inside the belt line, would hate to add the thickness of a magazine also elsewhere. I guess if I wanted to do that I'd consider an IWB holster that had mag slot built in or something.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I have used mag carriers on my belt, etc, but I have found that I like the snagmag pocket carrier the best.  It just slips in your left side (or right if you prefer) front pocket and is easily accessible and it just looks like you have a knife or something clipped in.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Just2Honor said:

Use a vertical cellphone holder.  Cut out the shape of the mag from the dark foam packing insert.  Nobody notices because everybody has a cellphone.   Even carry my own phone in a carrier next to it and never have had a second look.  Anybody says anything I'll just say one is company and the other my personal.      Take your mag with you and make sure the case is tall enough and has a n insert.

Thats pretty slick idea man i just dont want anything hanging on the outside of my belt.

9 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

I use a Remora with an attached mag pouch for my Kahr PM9. It looks like this, but with a different gun. If you carry your gun OWB, there are OWB holsters with a similar setup where the gun and extra mag are on the same holster setup.

IWB-MAG-POUCH.jpg

6 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

I mostly use this Steller Rigs pocket holster for my Kahr (and no, you can't do a super high speed low drag tacticool reload :) )

Kahr-Stellar-new.jpg

But, for IWB carry with bigger mag, spare mag in horizontal pouch from Black Arch (formerly SHTF Gear):

SHTF_WhiteBox_08142014_005_28344c58-f033

- OS

I carry strong side at 4/5 o clock so wanting something to wear on my weak side. If i was carry appendix i would definitely run the  gun holster/mag combos.

I use a Snagmag as well and recommend it for a low cost piece of gear that has held up pretty well.  I carry it IWB at the 11:30ish next to my AIWB holster.  It works pretty good for me, although it does move around and one time it came out with my magazine.  I'm waiting on a new AIWB that has a mag holder built in to replace it.   

3 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

Yeah, rereading, I guess OP was specifically asking about a mag carrier that's IWB itself. But like you, I don't tuck in shirts, just wear polo style most all the time, so a mag outside belt isn't a prob, especially carried horizontally. And comfy -- it's enough to have the heater itself inside the belt line, would hate to add the thickness of a magazine also elsewhere. I guess if I wanted to do that I'd consider an IWB holster that had mag slot built in or something.

- OS

Well im a tall guy at 6'6" so finding shirt long enough untucked to conceal stuff is a chore and big & tall shirts are just too damn long.The horizontal owb pouches make sense though may look into them. Would definately be more comfortable.

3 hours ago, mikegideon said:

I don't tuck in either, which kinda pushed me from IWB to a Phantom. So these days, I'm real comfy with 15 rounds in the mag. I don't really worry so much about more ammo than that. I only need to get to the truck. :)

Off topic but how do you like the phantom? If i make it to the truck in a gun fight ####s about to Level Up lol

4 minutes ago, MuscleHead said:

Well im a tall guy at 6'6" so finding shirt long enough untucked to conceal stuff is a chore and big & tall shirts are just too damn long.The horizontal owb pouches make sense though may look into them. Would definately be more comfortable.

Snag Mag is a nifty way to go, but it still effectively ties up a pocket, and I need all of mine, even wearing cargoes.

- OS

7 minutes ago, MuscleHead said:

I like that and price isnt too bad. How much of the mag sticks out that you can grab on when you pull the flap?

Depends on the mag, but should be more than enough to get a grip and draw easy.  There is only 3.25" before the mag sticks out.  My 12rd .40 S&W Walther P99 mags fit like a glove, whereas my 15rd H&K VP9 mags are almost too long for it.  What make/model/caliber mags are you looking to carry?

1 hour ago, Preacher357 said:

I have used mag carriers on my belt, etc, but I have found that I like the snagmag pocket carrier the best.  It just slips in your left side (or right if you prefer) front pocket and is easily accessible and it just looks like you have a knife or something clipped in.  

Interesting will have to check out how that works on youtube later.

3 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Depends on the mag, but should be more than enough to get a grip and draw easy.  There is only 3.25" before the mag sticks out.  My 12rd .40 S&W Walther P99 mags fit like a glove, whereas my 15rd H&K VP9 mags are almost too long for it.  What make/model/caliber mags are you looking to carry?

Glock 17 9mm

18 minutes ago, MuscleHead said:

Off topic but how do you like the phantom? If i make it to the truck in a gun fight ####s about to Level Up lol

I love the Phantom. It hugs you, and rides real high. It's adjustable too. It doesn't make any bigger lump than one of my hybrid IWBs. Doesn't take much of a cover garment at all. 

1279897_03_raven_concealment_phantom_lig

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Then what I have isn't the holster for you.  It could fit a mag for a 19, but I doubt a 17 will let you close the flap.

The double stack 9/40 SHTF one will hold it. The flap won't fold over as far as in the pic is all.

HMC_3_600px_967fee51-77a3-4929-9c2a-a01c

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1