Pics of new Glock 17 M are out

Erik88

13 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

I don't even mind the finger grooves that everyone else hates.  I just don't need grips that dig into my already terribly cracked and cut hands.  And the 2 (which I have) and 3 are much better in that regard for me. 

Pet some lotion in the basket next time you go to the store.

• Like 1

It will get sold on the basis that it is something new - just like a lot of Apple product users will upgrade to the iPhone 7 over the 6 and it's variations. The fact that "cool guy specialz agentz" will use it is a good enough reason for someone to buy it, whether it be a M17/17-M or 17 Gen 5 as per it's official marketing name.

The ambi-slide lock is a cool idea I suppose, fingers grooves don't bother me so it's a moot point. What I do hope is that a bunch of people buy these so we can pickup Gen 3s for dirt cheap and Gen 4s at current 3 prices.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Now how in the hell does a slide fall off while dry firing?  None of the Internet metallurgists and gunsmiths said anything about a gun just coming apart if there's not a snap cap in the chamber.

*Sneering Mall Ninja Operator Voice* : "obviously the stupid plastic gun is inferior and dry firing causes stress fractures due to negative atmospheric harmonic waves and electrons in the firing pin channel due to friction and static and then the slide explodes and kills all of your kittens; get a Daniel Defense bro like navy seals used it and I did when I was black ops in Laos you know?"

Glock is getting OUT of a category that made them reliable and famous . That category is SIMPLICITY. If they add more parts then they will face more problems in my thinking. I liked them for the fact that they were so simple. I just got rid of my G17 Gen 4 for a G19 Gen 3 . I think I did well . I like the fact that I can swap parts from Gen 3 to Gen 2 and 1 . I sure hope Glock doesn't go down the drain like the rest .

I do like how the front part of the slide is chiseled out or beveled. Other than that , I don't understand why people want Glock to change or want something different . The new 43 is great and all but I just don't like the addition of a multi-spring recoil assembly. I like to keep things simple and low tech .

Edited by tercel89
  • 2 weeks later...

For the love of God , I don't know why Glock doesn't just remake the Gen 2 G17 . Here's mine. In my opinion it's the best Generation and model of Glock ever . It has no finger grooves , it has the front portion of the grip cut out for easy magazine removal and most important , it has the original Glock recoil system and is proven and reliable without that STUPID double recoil spring that has caused some problems.  Here's my carry G17 Gen 2. It's got around 20,000 rds through it , wear and tear and nicks and scratches and it's damn sexy . Nice and simple 2-pin Glock 17 . FUNCTION over FASHION.

gen2_zpsuf2vqwhb.jpg

Edited by tercel89
5 hours ago, tercel89 said:

For the love of God , I don't know why Glock doesn't just remake the Gen 2 G17 . .

If you take a look at the RFP that the FBI released you will see that the gen 2's do not meet the criteria that the FBI was looking for. I like gen2 Glocks and I agree that the dual recoil spring is a mistake but I honestly prefer my gen 4 17 and 21 over my other Glocks. The gen 4's excel with the better texture and smaller more ergonomic grips.

10 hours ago, Patton said:

It has been a long time since I have heard of a complaint or failure because of the dual recoil spring. I believe most consider the DRSA a true upgrade.

No offense meant , The reason I said that is because I am just a Glock gen 1,2 and 3 purist I guess. To me Glock's most important things were simplicity , reliability, and few parts. When Glock started adding extra parts such as the dual recoil-spring it was becoming more complicated in my opinion. The dual slide-stop in the 17M is another thing. The one thing I did like about the 17M was that it only has 2 pins like the Gen 1 and 2 17's and 19's .

Tercel89, I understand that. It's hard for me to say which gen Glock I prefer. The dual recoil spring design was essentially borrowed from the baby Glock platforms, and has pretty much been proven to work. I must say though, I don't really see the fascination with the gen 2's that everyone else has. I will agree that the gen3 finger grooves fit almost no one, but I am not a fan of the front strap cutout. My grandfather's gen 2 17 may be my least favorite Glock next to a really, really high round count gen2 23.

I actually find it comical that the 17m is having issues. It is exactly what was asked for by the FBI. Glock provided a near flawless design for the FBI with the gen 3 22's and 23's. But no, the FBI wanted xyz, zyx, yxz, yzx. They specify exactly what was already on the market by another manufacturer then wanted Glock to duplicate it.

Edited by Patton
18 minutes ago, Patton said:

They specify exactly what was already on the market by another manufacturer then wanted Glock to duplicate it.

From what I have heard, the specifications were created specifically so agents could get the Sig P320, since they can't ask for a certain weapon. They wanted to get away from Glocks. Then Glock modifies their pistol to fit the requirements. I'm assuming Glock will make them a great deal on trading in old 22/23s for the new 17/19M. Use all the same holster and gear and no retraining either, although I doubt the Sig would need that.

Sadly, the old 22's and 23's have to be destroyed per federal law and can't be traded. There is a way around it, but it's not easy. The federal agency I work for has destroyed hundreds of nice duty weapons.

Oh, I also heard from other feds that the p320 was wanted and they anticipated getting them. However, they just weren't all that reliable when it came down to it. Funny since they went with a gun that wasn't in production yet and proved problematic once delivered.

Edited by Patton
4 minutes ago, Patton said:

Oh, I also heard from other feds that the p320 was wanted and they anticipated getting them. However, they just weren't all that reliable when it came down to it. Funny since they went with a gun that wasn't in production yet and proved problematic once delivered.

A federal agency making a lousy decision and spending taxpayer money unwisely?  Not exactly unprecedented.  :devil: