Welcome to Tennessee Gun Owners

Welcome to Tennessee Gun Owners -- The Premier Website for Tennessee Firearms Owners and Enthusiasts

If you have an account with us, please Sign In.

If you do not have an account, register now for one! It's 100% free and easy to do. »» Join TGO Now ««

As a member of Tennessee Gun Owners you can...
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Boy Scouts Allow Gays

• Please log in to reply
432 replies to this topic

#21 RichardR

RichardR

TGO Newcomer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:45 AM

RIP America

Agreed.

When a Christian organization for children is allowed to be "bullied" into compromising their religious faith to accommodate people who do not share their basic tenants, values or beliefs, essentially corrupting the organization's premise for existing in the first place, this nation as we once knew it is doomed, doooooooooomed I tellzya!

I am not kidding btw, very serious subject, I just like typing "doomed, dooooooooomed I tellzya!" Because it makes me look cool kind of like Fonzi, only without the painful herpies or the gay leather jacket... wait ... what?

#22 TMF

TMF

OFP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,211 posts
Carry Permit Holder Military

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:45 AM

Gay, straight... I don't see how sexual orientation one way or the other should be a topic of discussion during scouting activities. It's inappropriate. I was a scout until I was 10 or 11. We knew who the queer kids were, just like in school. I don't see how it affected anything other than them being made fun of for being girly. Maybe that will change. Other than that, anyone bringing up sexual orientations (hetero or otherwise) should not be doing so during scouting activities, so what's the problem?
  • Daniel, DaveS, RobertNashville and 2 others like this

#23 TripleDigitRide

TripleDigitRide

TGO Senior Member

• Lifetime Benefactor
  • 10,328 posts
Carry Permit Holder NRA Member

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:52 AM

RIP America

Agreed.

When a Christian organization for children is allowed to be "bullied" into compromising their religious faith to accommodate people who do not share their basic tenants, values or beliefs, essentially corrupting the organization's premise for existing in the first place, this nation as we once knew it is doomed, doooooooooomed I tellzya!

I am not kidding btw, very serious subject, I just like typing "doomed, dooooooooomed I tellzya!" Because it makes me look cool kind of like Fonzi, only without the painful herpies or the gay leather jacket... wait ... what?

To be fair, 61% of voting members of the BSoA voted in favor off this. They weren't exactly bullied. They could have just as easily voted against it, just like they did with allowing openly gay leaders.
  • Moped, RobertNashville, ThePunisher and 2 others like this

#24 Hershmeister

Hershmeister

TGO Member

• TGO Benefactor
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:07 AM

The BSA is NOT a Christian organization.

Declaration of Religious Principle

The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God and, therefore, recognizes the religious element in the training of the member, but it is absolutely nonsectarian in its attitude toward that religious training. Its policy is that the home and organization or group with which a member is connected shall give definite attention to religious life. Only persons willing to subscribe to this Declaration of Religious Principle and to the Bylaws of the Boy Scouts of America shall be entitled to certificates of membership.

http://www.scouting....nsandAides.aspx

#25 BryanP

BryanP

Semi-Pro PITA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
Carry Permit Holder

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:21 AM

Why not?  They are abusive.....VERBALLY with all the diatribe about gay rights and demanding a tolerant society towards them even though they are one of the most intolerant people on the face of the earth to others, SOCIALLY by parading around 3/4's nekkid with their tongues down each others throats on TV and any where they can get a crowd together or a TV camera on them, they are also morally corrupt.

How dare they demand to be treated like normal people?  The nerve of some people!

• Moped, crimsonaudio, DaveS and 3 others like this

#26 Spook

Spook

TGO Member

• TGO Benefactor
  • 490 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:22 AM

To me the question is not gay vs. straight. It is the right of a non state supported organization to admit who it pleases. I believe the BSA has caved to PC. Why should the NAACP, KKK, BSA, atheists, left handed plumbers or any other organization be forced (either by court decree or public pressure) to admit those it does not like? And why would someone who does not share those organizations' beliefs want to be there other than to poke a stick in their eye? And why are these organizations sometimes forced to accept people who disagree/hate/dispute them? Unfortunately, I don't have the answers. But it really makes me wonder.

I think the BSA decision affects only scouts, not scout leaders. That said, does any parent really want their seven year old at a BSA camp with a 16 year old gay scout? I, for one, wouldn't take the chance. Just my feeling on the issue.

(But I'm unique.... Just like everyone else.)
  • S&WForty likes this

#27 Randall53

Randall53

TGO Addict

• TGO Benefactor
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:25 AM

How dare they demand to be treated like normal people?  The nerve of some people!

If they were normal, they wouldn't have to demand anything.

#28 NoBanStan

NoBanStan

I <3 CZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:30 AM

I'm a cub scout leader for my son's pack. If I ever heard any of my boys talking about sex AT ALL I'd be having a chat with their parents. It's got no business in the pack.

• TGO David, Mike.357, Moped and 5 others like this

#29 Fourtyfive

Fourtyfive

GRUMPY OLD FART

• Lifetime Benefactor
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:31 AM

Why not?  They are abusive.....VERBALLY with all the diatribe about gay rights and demanding a tolerant society towards them even though they are one of the most intolerant people on the face of the earth to others, SOCIALLY by parading around 3/4's nekkid with their tongues down each others throats on TV and any where they can get a crowd together or a TV camera on them, they are also morally corrupt.

It's only abusive if you can't handle it.

Morals are one thing , and I DO NOT APPROVE OF GAY MARRAGE , I even sat at a Red Box waiting on two women to pick a movie in my truck the other day , it took 30 min. ; then they looked at each other and smiled and kissed after the movie popped out. I was shocked , totally shocked , but then I thought well , that's their thing. I was turned on for a second then thought , wait that ain't right. They did that in public , what a shocker. Not my call to make , but I have voiced my opinion , like it or not.

#30 RED333

RED333

This is what I look like when I run out of 22 ammo!

• TGO Benefactor
  • 3,931 posts
    3rd rock from the Sun, CDB land(Mt Juliet)
Carry Permit Holder Military NRA Member

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:38 AM

In the Bible

Leviticus 18:22

You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

We have allowed our morels to fall to the way side, and we are to blame.

One day we will have to answer for this.

• reed1285 and Fourtyfive like this

#31 Randall53

Randall53

TGO Addict

• TGO Benefactor
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:43 AM

It's in the New Testament also....Romans 1:27

#32 Oh Shoot

Oh Shoot

Doubts Most Everything

• TGO Benefactor
  • 22,483 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:53 AM

In the Bible

Leviticus 18:22

You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

We have allowed our morels to fall to the way side, and we are to blame.

One day we will have to answer for this.

It's in the New Testament also....Romans 1:27

To echo Hershmeister's post, neither the BSA nor its parent org purport to be  Christians organizations, so using the Bible would seem to have limited relevancy to the specific issue? And technically, even those prohibitions are not against "being" gay, but rather against the sexual practice involved therein.

Meaning, to me it seems absurd to think that people "choose" to be gay. The  simple fact that I as a heterosexual can not and never could "choose" what gives me a boner seems rather an obvious proof of that premise. But as far as the ruling, it is not advocating gay sex during scout activities, any more than in endorses heterosexual sex during them. Only the stance that "being" gay is not a disqualification for membership.

Anyway, regarding the Christianity makeup, worldwide, the World Organization of the Scout Movement (WOSM),  by which the BSA was founded and of which is a member, probably has as many if not more non-Christian members as Christian.

Indeed, just India and Thailand together have more Scouts than in all the US, and there ain't much of a Christian percentage in either place.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot, 24 May 2013 - 03:24 AM.

• RobertNashville and ShamGlock like this

#33 Oh Shoot

Oh Shoot

Doubts Most Everything

• TGO Benefactor
  • 22,483 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:58 AM

Good question , how about the leaders ?

I don't think a gay man should be a troop leader , sorry.

They did not vote on allowing gay leaders, so that's still a no for now.

- OS

#34 Fourtyfive

Fourtyfive

GRUMPY OLD FART

• Lifetime Benefactor
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:01 AM

They did not vote on allowing gay leaders, so that's still a no for now.

- OS

Thank you .

#35 Fourtyfive

Fourtyfive

GRUMPY OLD FART

• Lifetime Benefactor
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:06 AM

Scouting will never be the same ...rest of rant removed.

Edited by Threeeighty, 24 May 2013 - 03:09 AM.

#36 Mike.357

Mike.357

old goat

• Lifetime Benefactor
  • 13,273 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:48 AM

too funny. 

I did scouts with my oldest grandson for two years.  I don't know that any of the scouts were gay, boy scouts or cubs, and I doubt any of the leaders were.  But there were several ( imho) weirdo's involved in it all.  I just chalked up up to people being what they are and not worrying much about it.  Live and let live, yanno.

I did it for my grandson to be involved, met some very nice people.  I never let my true feeling known about anything really.  But them trying to force me to be a churchgoer really ate at me.  I was asked multiple times what church I attended and whenever I actually admitted to not going to church I was told every time that it was okay as long as I had a personal relationship with God.  I just smiled and nodded.  I was there to help my grandson and help the other kids in his den and pack so I ignored all the church stuff.

One incident about did me in though.  The entire pack met inside of the church that sponsored his pack to learn about the popcorn sales process.   They actually stood at the altar and pushed popcorn sales.  I sat in a pew listening attentively.  Happened to be wearing a ball cap.  One of the the boy scout adult leader actually came up to me and told me " take that hat off and show some respect while you are in a church" I was dumbfounded.  It was all I could do to not ask the guy if he ever heard the story of Jesus and the money changers.   I was pissed but just nodded and removed my hat.  What a bunch of hypocrite's.  Use the church as a church and I assure you I would have not worn a hat, but to peddle popcorn it did not seem like much of a church at the moment.

Anyway...

Homosexuals are not pedophiles.  It is damn ignorant to say that they are.   Are gay boy scouts as likely to rape non gay scouts as a hetero scout is likely to rape a girl?  Hell NO!   Neither is a very likely scenario.  Sex has no place in scouting,  it is about teaching boys to become upstanding citizens.   I could care less if a scout or a leader is gay anymore than I care of they are heterosexual,  none of that matters.

My grandson was a productive scout, we participated in most events and he earned a wide assortment of badges and awards.  We did camp outs hikes, outings, den and pack meetings.  He lost interest after his second year and never asked to go back for a third so I let it go.  He does football.   

Oddly enough, I was a card carrying scout leader for those two years,  and when we did not come back after football season for a third year I was not contacted one time by anyone in his pack to ask where we were.   I am pretty much glad they didn't now. 

• BryanP, Daniel, Moped and 2 others like this

#37 joe45

joe45

NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO, TN Handgun instructor

• Lifetime Benefactor
  • 714 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:53 AM

So why even have boy and girl scouts as separate organizations why not just have scouts co-ed. If the boy scouts isn't a religious based organization why does the oath have and I quote 'On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to GOD and my country' I haven't been a scout for over 44 years so maybe this has changed.

I think the devil finally did it. The first thing he did was have people believe he didn't exist. Once he accomplished that, it was easy for him to make people believe GOD doesn't exist.

This country is going to hell
  • DaveS likes this

#38 Fourtyfive

Fourtyfive

GRUMPY OLD FART

• Lifetime Benefactor
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:58 AM

Oh yeah.....

#39 TripleDigitRide

TripleDigitRide

TGO Senior Member

• Lifetime Benefactor
  • 10,328 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:58 AM

Why not accept gays into scouts, then brainwash them into your way of thinking? I don't think Jesus would have shun the gays.

#40 RobertNashville

RobertNashville

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known

• TGO Benefactor
  • 6,719 posts
Carry Permit Holder Military NRA Member

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:03 AM

For some reason, the BSA is convinced I'm an Eagle Scout (I wasn't but they think I am) and I was surveyed on this issue a few months ago as I'm sure many here were.

Frankly, I don't have a problem with "gay" boys being allowed in scouts...they were already there anyway.  Improper sexual behavior is improper sexual behavior regardless of what sex or sexes are involved and sexual "anything" really has no place in scouts in any event.

Gay boys can benefit from learning how to pitch a tent, use a compass, build a camp fire and tie a knot just like any straight boy can.

I think some here are turning this into a "sexual" issue and it simply isn't...not allowing gay boys into scouts simply because they are gay makes about as much sense as not allowing children with red hair into scouts because they have red hair. Many seem to always want to make the leap from "being gay" to "having gay sex" one is simply not interchangeable with the other.

Edited by RobertNashville, 24 May 2013 - 04:13 AM.

• Mike.357, BryanP, Moped and 5 others like this