Big Pine Logs

ReeferMac

What to do w/ them?

We had a couple tree's blow down at our land in Sunday's storms. Some big Pines....

Since the burn ban has expired, I know ONE thing I could do w/ them, but was hoping to do something useful... I was thinking of trying to cut them into half-assed lumber, but don't have one of those chain-saw mill's. Anyone ever free-hand it? Any other suggestions? They were a good 40' tall, some up to 1.5-2 feet across at the base (yup, that'll be a big fire if it comes to it...)

- K

26 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

What to do w/ them?

We had a couple tree's blow down at our land in Sunday's storms. Some big Pines....

Since the burn ban has expired, I know ONE thing I could do w/ them, but was hoping to do something useful... I was thinking of trying to cut them into half-assed lumber, but don't have one of those chain-saw mill's. Anyone ever free-hand it? Any other suggestions? They were a good 40' tall, some up to 1.5-2 feet across at the base (yup, that'll be a big fire if it comes to it...)

- K

There's lot's of DIY chainsaw or band saw sawmill set ups if your mechanically inclined. One of the things tall pines such as you've described is for pole barn's.  Try running a CL add for someone with a portable sawmill willing to split the lumber with you.

• Like 1

We had this happen with a couple of huge Poplars a few years ago and I couldn't give them away. People only wanted them if I cut them up AND split if for them....then they wanted it free. My dad came and got the first one in a few loads after we blocked it up, but the second ended up rotting in blocks in the edge of my yard.

I called saw mills and no one wanted to cut them because they were afraid of nails in them. One finally agreed, but only if I delivered them. That sank that deal.

1 minute ago, ReeferMac said:

Yeah, even  if I could get them onto my pitiful trailer, I doubt my F-150's going to haul them. Besides, I doubt I could even move them.

- K

Yeah, I did not even have a truck or trailer at that point.

Sad, growing up we only heated with wood. We would hire out clearing fence rows and trimming trees. We got paid and used the wood to burn. Any good hard wood got sold as firewood and we burned all the small stuff and "junk" We would work all summer to get enough wood to run the winter. Then spend the fall splitting it.

• Like 1

At  my old place I used some junk trees that weren't worth making into fire wood into a backstop for my shooting range. I know it isn't a forever backstop but it was still going strong after 5 years when we moved down to TN. I made a presure treated framework to keep them contained and stacked it full. I filled voids as I stacked with wood chips. I only used it for handguns and .22 so wasn't to worried about a bullet finding a path through the pile. I had it stacked so I was shooting into the sawed ends of the logs.

As an aside I debated about disassembling it when we put the house on the market not knowing who would be buying the house but decided to leave it. I have heard from one of our old neighbors that the new owner uses it regularly. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I got one of those from HF, it was cheap, about $20, but never used it.  I was gifted an Alaskan saw mill too but haven't found a powerhead big enough to run it so haven't used that either but want to use it to make deer stands.

Well attempt no. 1 at freehanding it wasn't great (but not bad either). Some variability in thickness, which is where I can see one of those saw jig's helping immensely....  but I tried a few more times and it got better. Little more practice, it might work for smaller pieces. Anything long however, may need some 'aid' in keeping everything aligned.

Still, I think I may have some boards to make a few little outdoor projects with. Not suitable for siding or real construction, but for the price, I'm not too disappointed.

- K

CAM00255.jpg

CAM00256.jpg

Hahaha, I felt muscles I didn't know I had cutting the longer stretches.

The first time I held the saw parallel to the ground and worked it sideways. The second attempt I stood over the log and held the saw vertically. With a little more practice, I think I can make that technique better. A chalk-line or two may help. My biggest problem was keeping the far end of the saw blade parallel to the top end. I could get the one end of the 'board' a pretty consistent thickness down the length, but the other end usually ended up tapered, which I found hard to monitor (as that's down where my feet are while I'm cutting!)

- K

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 7:17 PM, jpx2rk said:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&ipp=24&Ntt=chain+saw+accessories

GL and have fun.  LOL

You're gonna make somebody a good little farmhand.  :cheers:  Be careful with those chain saws, they are not particular about what they cut.

Yeah, I thought I couldn't afford a set of chain saw chaps until I pinched the front of a pair of jeans with the chain saw blade. At that point I put the saw up and drove to the Co=Op and bought a set of chaps, files and extra chain.

28 minutes ago, TNWNGR said:

Yeah, I thought I couldn't afford a set of chain saw chaps until I pinched the front of a pair of jeans with the chain saw blade. At that point I put the saw up and drove to the Co=Op and bought a set of chaps, files and extra chain.

Yea, I got "bit" in the knee the first week of gun season when the saw spun on me.  Went through two layers of my wrangler hunting jeans and a couple layers of my skin as well.  Luckily it barely had any energy in the swing or it could of been worse, as it was it took over a week to heal.

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, TNWNGR said:

248 stitches  and nearly losing my left leg taught me a very hard lesson about chainsaws and proper safety measures.  Long recovery.  Very thankful for an old retired navy surgeon who saved my leg.