SHTF Water Storage - Water Bob

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to ask the dumbass question. How in the heck do you get the water out once the emergency is over and you still have 75 gal in it? Pump it out by hand? or cut the end and let it go down the drain?

Was my first thought too.

It's a one use only...slit the side to dump and recycle.

(it's somewhere in the fine print)

- OS

Still pretty cool.

Yah, not bad, but not sure what sort of things it would be beneficial for here in TN. If it were reusable, you'd be more likely to fill it up if things got ugly weather-wise, etc, but as is, you're only likely to use it AFTER something big has happened, if you can.

I prefer having a collection of water always ready and having a filter if needed.

For the most part I'll stick with my RO filter. I use it to cook with, drink, make my coffee, ETC. I think it will take out most stuff from the water. Funny story is I got it for my salt water fish tanks, and now I use it for the tanks and for my everyday water uses.

For the most part I'll stick with my RO filter. I use it to cook with, drink, make my coffee, ETC. I think it will take out most stuff from the water. Funny story is I got it for my salt water fish tanks, and now I use it for the tanks and for my everyday water uses.

Is this a hand held pump that makes salt water into fresh water.

We just had a pump put on the fishin boat that makes 400 gallons a day of fresh water from the ocean water.

Is this a hand held pump that makes salt water into fresh water.

We just had a pump put on the fishin boat that makes 400 gallons a day of fresh water from the ocean water.

Nope, it's an under the counter 6 stage reverse osmosis filter, cost me around 150 on ebay and it does a real good job. Of course the 6th stage is the DI filter that I only use on the fish tank, it removes all desolved metals that could mess with the levels in the tank.

Guest MinorKey

we bought a few of those some time ago. (not had to use any yet) theyI have also seen a siphon pump that is really easy to use for cheap. sometimes it is called "wonder pump" but it has a ball bearing in the end that primes the tube as you move it in an up and down motion to start it.

a few other thoughts on emergency water. you should always have at least 10 gallons per member of your house on hand of potable drinking water. (can live only 3 days without water approx) most of us have that easily and dont even know it!

*hint: make sure you know how to extract water directly from the water heater tank* :)

also if barrels are hard to take with you if you have to Get Out Of Dodge, there are these nifty cardboard boxes that have a silver plastic bladder that hold about 5 gallons each and are sold in sets of 5 or 20 at the regular emergency preparedness retailers. they would be easier to load up into a car than a 55gal drum and in order to use most RO filters you will need a small detail called pressure. The pumps are mostly electric and the backup Generators only run for a short time.

We are big fans of the British Berkfeld systems (berkey) and highly recommend the black filters over the old brittle ceramic ones.

-MK

• 5 weeks later...

FWIW, I like the idea but questioned the "holds up to 100 gals in a regular tub". While the bladder may be capable of holding 100 gals, most tubs aren't that large.

For kicks I measured my tub, which is the standard size found in most homes. I ran the conversion and my tub would hold just shy of 60 gals to the very top. While not 100, it's better than nothing.

David

.... I ran the conversion and my tub would hold just shy of 60 gals to the very top. While not 100, it's better than nothing...

Yep, 60 gals more than nada.

I bought one, what the hey...

Comes in 20x20x3" box, less than 2 lbs, so it's easy to stash.

- OS

Guest Schwarzgebrannt

I love my RO system. This house has a well that isn't working. I'm thinking I might want to set it an additional system that can be used with the well, one that doesn't need constant pressure.

Back when I moonlighted as an athetlic trainer at local university, we used rubbermaid 55 gallon trashcans to mix up gatoraide. did some checking, turns out most plastic is already food safe.. if it has anything toxic (lead etc) in it, it'll have that obnoxious state of California warning label that comes on most xmas lights.

So instead of spending $20 on a thin plastic bladder you can use once and can't move, get some cheap trashcans. toss 'em in the shower, turn the head on and wander off. Seal it with some saran wrap if you are worried about evaporation.

....So instead of spending $20 on a thin plastic bladder you can use once and can't move, get some cheap trashcans. toss 'em in the shower, turn the head on and wander off. Seal it with some saran wrap if you are worried about evaporation.

Well, that 55 gal can will weigh over 450 lbs, so you still ain't moving it out of the tub!

- OS

Yep, 60 gals more than nada.

I bought one, what the hey...

Comes in 20x20x3" box, less than 2 lbs, so it's easy to stash.

- OS

I was thinking it could still hold the extra if the plastic is strong.Think of a muffin-top kinda thing :rolleyes:

My hot water heater holds 50 gallons, is used daily so the water in it is fresh. It might have a little sediment in it, but in an emergency that would not be an issue. Most all of us have one and 50 gallons should get you by for a while anyway. My 2 cents.