Decision - M&P 9c or XD 9sc

jay1313g

Some of you may have been following the saga I've laid out here about my wife getting her permit and choosing a carry gun. She went Friday to the DL station and completed her application. She's going Tuesday to get fingerprinted. Last night, we did the Range USA "date night" deal (awesome deal) and paid for a rental so she could try some different guns.

She took her class and qualified with my XD45 compact so shooting a .45 is not a problem for her. She does have a fight racking the slide but is getting better. I thought we'd let her try some of the smaller 9mm units. She said she felt better with the 9mm but she still shot my .45 some. (She easily racked the slide on the well worn 9mm rental units.)

She does not like a long trigger pull. (Hated my P11. Put 2 rounds through it and handed it back to me.) She liked the feel of the Kahr (thin) but didn't like the trigger pull. She tried a S&W 3913 and was great in the SA mode but hated the DA first pull. She ended up shooting a XD9 SC for most of the night. (Very familiar with it from shooting my XD45.)

We struck up a conversation with the couple next to us and traded off shooting a clip full of my XD45 for their M&P 9. My wife was comfortable with the trigger pull on the M&P but, it was a full size model.

Down to business: I know the XD and the M&P are great guns and I'm not looking to start a "which is better" battle here. The XD is slightly chunky for a woman (5'4", 105lbs :P) that doesn't normally wear baggy clothes. Is the M&P compact much thinner or easier to conceal? She would probably need to go IWB at 4 o'clock to conceal (will not do purse carry).

Thanks in advance!

Jay

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have owned both, and prefer the XD. I have a M&P .45 full size ande now own an XD40 compact. I just prefer the feel of the XD. I think a Glock might be next.

+10 for the M&P.

However… as far as concealability; I have owed both the Full size and the Compact. The compact is not really compact; it just has a shorter slide and grip. It is still pretty thick.

But then I looked at everything and couldn’t find anything of quality that was thinner than the M&P except a 1911.

Given our economy… the XD is made in Croatia by Croatians, SA is merely an importer. The M&P is all American Made by Americans (even the magazines) in MA. So that choice was a no brainier.

At least for me. :D