Coyote hunting video

Here’s a short video from last weekend. Me and a few guys went out to call for the morning. @Luke E. brought his camera and tripod. This coyote came out directly down wind of Luke and I. Luckily he had the decoy activated on the call and we acted quickly. I don’t believe that coyote would have stood there but a second or two more being downwind but we made it work. 

At the end of the video when he said “Hey” I thought he saw another one and I was getting ready to pop another one if it came out. Had no idea he was gonna pick on my visor 🤣

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 9
12 minutes ago, Wdodd said:

Love it !!!!!     What are your favorite brand and type of “calls”?

We both use Lucky Duck Revolt E-Caller. He’s brought a FoxPro CS24 along with us as well and it seems to be a very nice choice. Small and compact, and its in my plans to have one of them as well. We’ve been practicing with MFK mouth calls. I’m not comfortable enough with it yet to use in live action, too new to it. But I drive my wife crazy with it practicing lol

• Thanks 1

Wish you guys were closer to me, have one here that needs killing. Had some weaned 575 + lb  calves next to the house and wife saw it stalking one of them. Thursday morning had been out weed eating and came inside to get a drink and cool down, was sitting looking at radar screen on computer when out of the corner of my eyes saw what looked like two brown dogs running and playing. After looking directly saw it was a yote trying to take down a fawn in my orchard about 50 ft from where I was sitting. Jumped up and grabbed my Ruger 10/22 and ran out the back door. Deer and yote were hidden in the tall hay, but there were two other bigger does also chasing the coyote. When one of the does went after the coyote, it proceeded to run across the hay field about 100 ft from where I was standing with a doe in hot pursuit. Trying to get the scoped rifle on the coyote was not easy but did get off a shot by this time the doe had quit the chase and I took one more shot. Coyote ran about 300 yds  out of the hay field into the shorter pasture grass and  I took another shot, must have hit close to it because took off in high gear and put a tree between it and me. This one is dangerous because cows are calving now and  really needs to be killed. Am going to zero my 223 Savage Axsis in today where I can reach out and touch it at 300 yrds , maybe. Cows just ignore the coyotes as they pass by the herd. Guess need to recheck my zero for the Ruger 10/22 also. Always drama going on at the farm. In the fall of the year, have observed coyotes sunning them selves on top of hay rolls. They blend in really good with the hay.

Edited by owejia
  • Like 1
49 minutes ago, owejia said:

Wish you guys were closer to me, have one here that needs killing. Had some weaned 575 + lb  calves next to the house and wife saw it stalking one of them. Thursday morning had been out weed eating and came inside to get a drink and cool down, was sitting looking at radar screen on computer when out of the corner of my eyes saw what looked like two brown dogs running and playing. After looking directly saw it was a yote trying to take down a fawn in my orchard about 50 ft from where I was sitting. Jumped up and grabbed my Ruger 10/22 and ran out the back door. Deer and yote were hidden in the tall hay, but there were two other bigger does also chasing the coyote. When one of the does went after the coyote, it proceeded to run across the hay field about 100 ft from where I was standing with a doe in hot pursuit. Trying to get the scoped rifle on the coyote was not easy but did get off a shot by this time the doe had quit the chase and I took one more shot. Coyote ran about 300 yds  out of the hay field into the shorter pasture grass and  I took another shot, must have hit close to it because took off in high gear and put a tree between it and me. This one is dangerous because cows are calving now and  really needs to be killed. Am going to zero my 223 Savage Axsis in today where I can reach out and touch it at 300 yrds , maybe. Cows just ignore the coyotes as they pass by the herd. Guess need to recheck my zero for the Ruger 10/22 also. Always drama going on at the farm. In the fall of the year, have observed coyotes sunning them selves on top of hay rolls. They blend in really good with the hay.

Yeah it sounds like you’ll get your chance to pop them without even calling them. Just hope you do before they get any calves (or more fawns). We just hunted a property last weekend where a couple had coyotes kill 4 Emu’s that they’d raised for 5 or 6 years. First evening out we didn’t have any luck but few nights later they called Luke and said they were back. He went out the following evening and was able to bust one. Crazy that the took down 4 of them Emu’s. I figured they’d whoop a yote but they were apparently more like pets. Or maybe there were more yotes than we think and they surrounded them one at a time. Either way, they are smart and work well together. 

What part of TN are you in?

11 minutes ago, owejia said:

West of Paris.

Oh okay, yeah that’s a pretty good way, we don’t get up that direction very often. Sounds like you’ll probably be able to pop a few without doing anything. Unfortunately for you they’re coming up to live decoys, unfortunately for them, you know they’re coming. I hope you wear them out soon. Keep us up to date on your progress. Once you get your Savage dialed in, it’ll make short work of them. If we get up your direction anytime soon I’ll shoot you a message if you like. 

• 1 year later...
30 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

You guys run a trypod on the coyotes?

I run a Swagger bipod on both of these rifles but if I have both out for the day I have a Bog Pod bipod that I use for the Savage. I’d like to try out one of the carbon tripods for sure though. 

9 minutes ago, rugerla1 said:

I run a Swagger bipod on both of these rifles but if I have both out for the day I have a Bog Pod bipod that I use for the Savage. I’d like to try out one of the carbon tripods for sure though. 

$1500 of awesome.  They don't feel real. My trypod is a bit heavy, but very stable especially if I use a sling with it.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

$1500 of awesome.  They don't feel real. My trypod is a bit heavy, but very stable especially if I use a sling with it.

I’m pretty tickled with my setup as they are now. But if TN ever passes night hunting I’ll definitely look to get a tripod. 

27 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

As far as night hunting goes, hold on to your hat.

I know, been holding it a long time. Had to stop holding my breath cause I started seeing stars ✨ 

Ehhhh maybe one day someone will do or say the right thing and get it really moving. Until then, early mornings and late evenings will have to suffice until colder weather gets here. Then I’ll hammer all day after them on my days off.