Value on S&W 624

hipower

Guys, I have a request. I have a Model 624 44 Special, a pre-lock model, that a buddy has made an offer on, and I don't really where I sit on this. I've had it for quite a while.

Of course a SS, 4" barrel, 3/4 underlug, original grips, adjustable rear sights and high front blade, no box, and in an easy 95% condition. 

S# H88_ _ _, can't find my S&W book tonight.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Oh, the offer...a Walther Q5. Used, with 3 mags. I like it, but do I love it?  

• Wow 1

His gun is not worth what yours is. You can buy a new Q5 for sub $700 and readily available, unlike a 30 year old S&W target 44 pre-lock. I'd say he is taking advantage of your book not being unavailable  ;)

...just checked my 40th anniv blue book (2019) and it says $750 @ 95%. and that is underestimating for it being a pre lock gun.

Edited by Erich
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, hipower said:

Guys, I have a request. I have a Model 624 44 Special, a pre-lock model, that a buddy has made an offer on, and I don't really where I sit on this. I've had it for quite a while.

Of course a SS, 4" barrel, 3/4 underlug, original grips, adjustable rear sights and high front blade, no box, and in an easy 95% condition. 

S# H88_ _ _, can't find my S&W book tonight.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Oh, the offer...a Walther Q5. Used, with 3 mags. I like it, but do I love it?  

As Erich stated it wouldn't be a fair trade for you. Barring anything odd or unique your 624 is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $700. This is based on what you have described in your post. Also your SN# is missing an A prefix but assuming you meant something like AHH or the like your 624 appears to be a first year run. Of course once you unearth your book I'm not telling you anything you wouldn't find. 😉

My thanks to you all. You've helped me reinforce my on thoughts on this.

I am a fan/hoarder of several S&W revolvers, a few of them quite nice. Not huge collector value, but ones that have a pull for me.

I was once told this..."Never trade a steel gun for a plastic gun." That has usually been my creedo. And as much as I like my PPQ 9, and would like a Q5 Match, this just doesn't work.

Thanks again, friends, for your good advice. I think I'll pass this opportunity by.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, FUJIMO said:

As Erich stated it wouldn't be a fair trade for you. Barring anything odd or unique your 624 is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $700. This is based on what you have described in your post. Also your SN# is missing an A prefix but assuming you meant something like AHH or the like your 624 appears to be a first year run. Of course once you unearth your book I'm not telling you anything you wouldn't find. 😉

Hmmm. I was pretty sure I copied it correctly, but I'll check it again this morning and let you know.

2 hours ago, hipower said:

I was once told this..."Never trade a steel gun for a plastic gun." That has usually been my creedo. And as much as I like my PPQ 9, and would like a Q5 Match, this just doesn't work.

I think its time to treat yourself to the new steel framed Q5, best of both worlds.

I keep eyeballing them, but have so far haven't caved.

@hipower

I think you are making a solid decision to keep this revolver. I still kick myself in the butt for not picking one up years ago. The .44 special is one of my favorite cartridges, especially to handload for, and this is one beautiful Smith imho.

Of course you know you could post a pic of it...for those unfortunate souls like myself that must live vicariously through your good fortune. :)  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hipower said:

I confess, I have not the knowledge nor ability to post pics. A veritable dinosaur of the interwebs.

I keep asking a neighbor to help/teach me, but he never seems to have the time.

If I give you an email address can you email them  to me?

5 hours ago, DaveTN said:

If I give you an email address can you email them  to me?

I appreciate the offer, and if I may, I might take you up on it later. The next couple of weeks, I expect my time here to be very sporadic.

With help from my wife, I might get a few pics taken for possible sales. But since I won't be mobile/driving for a while, I won't have the capability to set meets.

Again, my thanks for your offer.

7 hours ago, hipower said:

I appreciate the offer, and if I may, I might take you up on it later. The next couple of weeks, I expect my time here to be very sporadic.

With help from my wife, I might get a few pics taken for possible sales. But since I won't be mobile/driving for a while, I won't have the capability to set meets.

Again, my thanks for your offer.

That's okay, I just thought you might already have some, and I would post them up for you.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Patton said:

I’m not too up on 624 values but I believe it may be worth $1k. 

Would be nice. I might sell for that. lol

Smith revolvers are just all over the board on pricing. Smith Book is a good standard, but collectors and guys like me who just are fond of the S&W wheel guns, make a definitive price difficult to reach. But that's true for all firearms.

15 hours ago, DaveTN said:

That's okay, I just thought you might already have some, and I would post them up for you.

Again, thanks for the offer. I packed away all but my "house guns" over the last 2 days. Won't be too likely to get into them again until I'm more mobile. Have steps to get up and down, and walkers and crutches and canes can be awkward.

I'm late as usual, just saw this. You've made the right decision, keep the 624. 

.44 Special caliber S&W revolvers are extremely popular, desirable. and no longer made.  A 4" 624 in good condition would fall very high on any serious collector's list. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it sell at $1200 or more. $1000 would be my absolute minimum. 

Lots of folks just don't get the .44 Special. They seem to prefer the louder .44 magnum. But for those of us who are real .44 Special fans ( yes that includes me) dedicated .44 Special revolvers are highly prized and we are more than willing to pay a premium over going rates for a nice one.  Honestly, the price limit is set by just how bad the buyer wants it. ;)

• Like 2