Jump to content
ohnoitskamryn

Purchase in GA?

Recommended Posts

Another question I'm confused on...My wife's dad purchased a gun in GA at a dealer, we were there with him, he filled out all of the paperwork for transfer/background check  etc. Anyway, he gave it to us and we are in TN, is this handgun legal for us? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This could be looked at as a straw purchase .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is a resident of GA, you are a resident of TN, it is a handgun. He can loan it to you, but to transfer ownership; it must go through a transfer at an FFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, two thoughts.

The chances of it causing an issue? Not very high.

The cost of going to a local (in TN) FFL and performing a transfer? $30.00 +=$10.00.

The peace of mind knowing that there is no legal issue at all? 100% priceless.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But again, we were in GA at the time, her dad is a resident of GA and the dealer definitely knew he was buying this for my wife. She even picked it out. I believe on the application he checked the box that asked if the gun was being transferred to someone else as well. They took her ID as well. Just wondering if I still need to go through any hoops in TN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

Yeah, two thoughts.

The chances of it causing an issue? Not very high.

The cost of going to a local (in TN) FFL and performing a transfer? $30.00 +=$10.00.

The peace of mind knowing that there is no legal issue at all? 100% priceless.

 

Also, would we both have to be present for that? He lives like 7 hours away and that would be very difficult to get him up here. I'm just trying to make sure I am 100% legal carrying a gun from my father in law that was purchased by him in another state. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ohnoitskamryn said:

But again, we were in GA at the time, her dad is a resident of GA and the dealer definitely knew he was buying this for my wife. She even picked it out. I believe on the application he checked the box that asked if the gun was being transferred to someone else as well. They took her ID as well. Just wondering if I still need to go through any hoops in TN

The only way that handgun was legally transferred to her, was if she handed the guy a GA ID. 

The facts don't add up here. You need to either talk to an attorney or go ask your local gun dealer if he will do a transfer. 

Until that gun is legally transferred; its legal for him to loan it to his daughter. As long as no money changed hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DaveTN said:

The only way that handgun was legally transferred to her, was if she handed the guy a GA ID. 

The facts don't add up here. You need to either talk to an attorney or go ask your local gun dealer if he will do a transfer. 

Until that gun is legally transferred; its legal for him to loan it to his daughter. As long as no money changed hands.

No money changed hands at all. He purchased a gun as a gift for her, and we went and picked it out with him. He purchased from the dealer and then when they boxed it up etc he gave it to her. However, we live in TN and are going to get our carry permits. So I just want to know if any further action is required for her to legally carry this gun that was purchased by her father in law in another state. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ohnoitskamryn said:

No money changed hands at all. He purchased a gun as a gift for her, and we went and picked it out with him. He purchased from the dealer and then when they boxed it up etc he gave it to her. However, we live in TN and are going to get our carry permits. So I just want to know if any further action is required for her to legally carry this gun that was purchased by her father in law in another state. 

Yes, I would say further action is required to be legal. However, you need to find out from an attorney if you can gift a handgun to a family member in another state. My opinion, which is worth exactly what you are paying for it, is that the gun dealer violated the law.

I could be wrong though; it has happened before. But I’m not aware of a way handgun ownership can be transferred either by selling or gifting between non-licensees in different states, without a transfer through an FFL in the new owners state.

This is a case where you probably shouldn’t go by what you read on an internet forum. Other than the call an attorney part.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's legal for one person to purchase a firearm as a gift for another person.

It's not legal for a non-FFL resident of one state to transfer (sell or gift, et al) ANY firearm to a resident of another state. (Unless it's as part of an estate settlement. It sounds like that's not the case here.)

Perhaps the dealer was operating under the assumption that your father-in-law was planning to travel to TN to complete the transfer of the handgun there. Even an FFL holder can only transfer a handgun to a resident of the state in which that FFL holder is licensed.

ETA: And @DaveTN is spot on: don't take our word for it, go pay a lawyer for 15 minutes of their time.

Edited by TomInMN
Additional thoughts.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

similar situation which I posed to an ATF agent.  TN resident/father gifting his firearms to an adult daughter in another state.  He said legal, no paperwork.  :confused::wall:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chances R said:

similar situation which I posed to an ATF agent.  TN resident/father gifting his firearms to an adult daughter in another state.  He said legal, no paperwork.  :confused::wall:

Thats basically it. Georgia resident father gifted the gun to adult daughter who lives in TN. We now have the gun here in TN. So this is legal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TomInMN said:

Okay, so seems like it has to be transferred to official be hers and "legal" other than a "temporary loan" of the gun. So, what do I do? Does my father in law have to be up here in TN and get it transferred here locally? Can we do this without him and just go to an FFL and get it transferred? Or do we have to give the gun back to him in GA, have him ship it to a TN FFL?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ohnoitskamryn said:

Okay, so seems like it has to be transferred to official be hers and "legal" other than a "temporary loan" of the gun. So, what do I do? Does my father in law have to be up here in TN and get it transferred here locally? Can we do this without him and just go to an FFL and get it transferred? Or do we have to give the gun back to him in GA, have him ship it to a TN FFL?

If you don't want to call a lawyer on this, at least call the local FFL where you'd want to do the transfer and ask them what they need from you in order to be willing to step in and help you out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, TomInMN said:

It's legal for one person to purchase a firearm as a gift for another person.

It's not legal for a non-FFL resident of one state to transfer (sell or gift, et al) ANY firearm to a resident of another state. (Unless it's as part of an estate settlement. It sounds like that's not the case here.)

Perhaps the dealer was operating under the assumption that your father-in-law was planning to travel to TN to complete the transfer of the handgun there. Even an FFL holder can only transfer a handgun to a resident of the state in which that FFL holder is licensed.

ETA: And @DaveTN is spot on: don't take our word for it, go pay a lawyer for 15 minutes of their time.

I'd say a $30.00 transfer is cheaper than a lawyer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GlockSpock said:

I'd say a $30.00 transfer is cheaper than a lawyer.

agreed and that is what i plan on doing. Do you know if her dad has to be present here? since we are in different states? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ohnoitskamryn said:

agreed and that is what i plan on doing. Do you know if her dad has to be present here? since we are in different states? 

 

 

Call TDOS and ask..... "An out-of-state relative wants to gift me a handgun, how do we do that?"  

I suspect you can do it at a TN FFL, but both parties must be present. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

I'd say a $30.00 transfer is cheaper than a lawyer.

I agree. One isn't necessarily a replacement for the other though.

A lawyer can answer the questions being asked with a bit more accountability than we have. Not to say the answers will be any different, but "acted in the advice of counsel" had a bit more legitimacy than "because the internet said so".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ohnoitskamryn said:

agreed and that is what i plan on doing. Do you know if her dad has to be present here? since we are in different states? 

 

 

I imagine it'd depend on the FFL. Some FFL's will accept a firearm (shipped to them) and then transfer it to someone. In that scenario, he could have shipped it to an FFL near you.

I'd honestly find the closest FFL that you like, call them and simply tell them you'd like to have a firearm transferred from your FIL out of state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like currently its legal as long as its still a "gift" and not officially transferred. But getting it into her name will still have to go through the FFL. Which means I will have to give the gun back to the father in law in Georgia, and have him ship it to TN....OR have him in TN and we both go together. What a royal pain in the ass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ohnoitskamryn said:

Sounds like currently its legal as long as its still a "gift" and not officially transferred. But getting it into her name will still have to go through the FFL. Which means I will have to give the gun back to the father in law in Georgia, and have him ship it to TN....OR have him in TN and we both go together. What a royal pain in the ass

It's not "gift" vs "officially transferred", it's loaned/ rented (temporary) vs any type of permanent transfer of the firearm.

Call a local FFL and talk to them about it. It doesn't have to be much more complicated than transferring the title on a car, but you do have to know what the law requires you to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, ohnoitskamryn said:

Sounds like currently its legal as long as its still a "gift" and not officially transferred. But getting it into her name will still have to go through the FFL. Which means I will have to give the gun back to the father in law in Georgia, and have him ship it to TN....OR have him in TN and we both go together. What a royal pain in the ass

No. It is legal as long as it is loaned; you can't "gift" a handgun to a resident of another state without a transfer. Call your local dealer, tell him this story. See if he will do the transfer. He should not need the Father in Law here; but it is up to him, what he wants or if he wants to do it. 

It sounds to me like, based on your description, Federal law was violated in GA at the time of the purchase; but I'm not positive about that. As I understand the law the transfer should have stopped as soon as your wife presented a TN ID.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By DaveTN
      I’m thinking about ordering this gun. But I’m curious about the blued finish and the Ruger site picture really doesn’t show it that well. Anyone have any good pictures of this gun that was purchased recently??
      https://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/specSheets/0463.html
    • By SRST51
      Hi all. Recently started becoming interested in the reflex red dots and bought the Walther Q5 Match and mounted a Vortex Venom on it. I took it out to the range on two occasions now along with a few other 9mm of mine. 
      First, about the pistol:
      - Great striker fired pistol. I own dozens of guns and only two are polymer, this and my Springfield XDS 3.3. I have shot many, however. Best striker trigger out of the box that I have fired. Granted it’s not my Kimber Aegis Elite but that’s not expected. 
      - Nice balance in my hand. Comfortable grip. 
      - Holy muzzle flip. Not an issue for slow shooting but follow up shots take some work. 
      - Flawless operation out of the box. Can’t say that about a lot of new guns I’ve purchased in the last year sadly. (Looking at you Ruger and S&W)
      The sight mounted easily with the number one plate included with the Walther. It came with three different mounting plates. 
      I had been practicing dry fire and presentation with the sight and find the dot very easy to find. No issues with “searching”. While this is my first sight of this nature, I do have a rail mounted Browning Red Dot on two Buckmarks.
      I used the sight in “auto” mode and found the brightness very good for the range I visit. It was easy to zero in. 
      Shooting with the dot:
      I shot this gun today along with my Beretta M9A3. At close range I found my Beretta much easier to group nicely and tighter. Close range is 5-7 yards. 
      Beyond that, out to 25 yards, is where I saw the huge benefits on the dot. It improved my accuracy tremendously compared to the open sights of the Beretta (a gun I have tens of thousands of rounds experience with). My goal is to continue practicing speed and accuracy with the optic mounted pistol at the closer ranges. My confidence at longer ranges has gone through the roof with it!

    • By ramseyonthefly
      Is there any dealers in the tri-cities area that stock Glock 48 night sights?

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines