school shooting in Nashville at the Covenant School

FUJIMO

It seems that most of the debate and discussion I hear is about 1) whether the shooter's notes should be made public and 2) what was the nature, and origin, of the shooter's mental illness. While these are important questions, it is mostly the shared goal of prevention that makes them so. 

Perhaps a more important question, currently under-discussed, is How did this person's warning signs go unnoticed and/or unreported by all those who were in contact with her in the months, weeks, and days before the incident?

Does such a disturbed person simply not arouse suspicion, or is there something in our society/community that hinders the reporting of it? Or hinders preventive intervention?

There could be many varieties of mental/behavioral pathology that lead to mass violence. We may not be able to cure mental illness, but the problem of recognizing and responding to red flags needs some serious investigation (regardless of one's views on red-flag laws). I hope someone is interviewing the shooter's contacts to gain insight into this. 

19 minutes ago, Pong said:

It seems that most of the debate and discussion I hear is about 1) whether the shooter's notes should be made public and 2) what was the nature, and origin, of the shooter's mental illness. While these are important questions, it is mostly the shared goal of prevention that makes them so. 

Perhaps a more important question, currently under-discussed, is How did this person's warning signs go unnoticed and/or unreported by all those who were in contact with her in the months, weeks, and days before the incident?

Does such a disturbed person simply not arouse suspicion, or is there something in our society/community that hinders the reporting of it? Or hinders preventive intervention?

There could be many varieties of mental/behavioral pathology that lead to mass violence. We may not be able to cure mental illness, but the problem of recognizing and responding to red flags needs some serious investigation (regardless of one's views on red-flag laws). I hope someone is interviewing the shooter's contacts to gain insight into this. 

I have rarely heard of anyone ever saying, yea I noticed the signs but didn't say anything.  Maybe it's from not wanting to be blamed for not reporting, or from the shame they may feel from not doing so.  It is a discussion that needs to be raised, because many of the actions she may have taken beforehand can be attributed to many of us on any given day, such as buying weapons, weapons training, and other tactical behavior.  Which is why red-flag laws are so dangerous IMO, it can have disastrous consequences if LEO comes busting down a door in the middle of the night at any security minded person's home.

• Like 3

I can remembering 1 time about a shooting back years ago that a woman spoke up a day or 2 after a shooting done by a husband and wife team that shot up a bunch of folks at a office Christmas party and later that day got in a shootout with Police and Feds and both got killed. The woman said she thought something was going on next store as people where coming and going all night the night before but she said she didn't want to get involved. Her not getting involved cost 11 people their lives. If she would have just made 1 call those people would have lived. I still say, "If you see something say something!" and let the police sort it out!......JMHO

• Like 1
On 11/7/2023 at 7:42 PM, Omega said:

I also learned that she felt that she could or should of been caught before the attack, and I for one would like to know how, and/or what she had done to merit that.

Same here. There could be something in the rest of the ramblings that could help identify what she was doing leading up to the attack that could have caused her to be caught, and that would be useful to know for future prevention.

Or she could have been expressing a feeling similar to what most of us felt the first time we did our Wally-Walk after getting a permit (or now permitless). You're SURE someone is going to spot your gun . . . but they never do.

So, I was up in the school part of Covenant Church with my wife yesterday. The school is not yet back in the space (thank you BWCC for the space you have allowed the school to use). I had not been in the building past the front foyer since the shooting. 

Lots of changes since I was there when TCS was still in the space. But they had a lot of damage to fix. We had to walk down the third grade hall to pick up some tables and it required us to walk past where the children were murdered. It was hard. There is not evidence of anything except they have blocked off that stairwell for the time being.  I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t choked up. 

Anyway. I just needed to get that out. 

Thanks. 

• Like 2
  • Love 5
  • Sad 1
On 11/12/2023 at 8:27 AM, Snaveba said:

So, I was up in the school part of Covenant Church with my wife yesterday. The school is not yet back in the space (thank you BWCC for the space you have allowed the school to use). I had not been in the building past the front foyer since the shooting. 

Lots of changes since I was there when TCS was still in the space. But they had a lot of damage to fix. We had to walk down the third grade hall to pick up some tables and it required us to walk past where the children were murdered. It was hard. There is not evidence of anything except they have blocked off that stairwell for the time being.  I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t choked up. 

Anyway. I just needed to get that out. 

Thanks. 

I am really sorry you had to experience that.   The circle of trauma rarely comes to an immediate end.

• Thanks 1