Springfield SA-35

Skyhunter

I've had an interest in the Browning Hi-Power for a long, long time. However, all the of the "real" HP's that I've fired in the past have left me with a bleeding hole in the thumb web of my right hand - so I never purchased one, even when "the price was right." I didn't see the point in owning and/or trying to shoot a handgun that I knew was gonna bite me!

Enter the SA-35. I'd read good reviews and even had my name on a couple of waiting lists when the pistol was first released. So it was the ole hurry up and wait - and wait - and wait some more. Well, one finally showed up at my favorite toy store, so I had to go check it out. Overall fit & finish was good, but only one magazine (but that seems to be the current trend). In any case, it appeared that I "should" be able to shoot this one and not spill any blood. Closed the deal and took her home - that was this past Friday.

I packed the SA-35 up (along with my Sig 226), four different boxes of ammo, and headed to MSSA for some range time and familiarization with my new bullet launcher. Loaded a magazine with ten (it'll hold 15, but 10 was enough to get started) IMI 115 HP's and proceeded to tear up the X-ring at 7-1/2 tards and no blood was shed!  I was impressed and very happy!

I fired a total of 50 rounds from four different boxes of ammo (two with 115 gr. bullets and two with 124 gr. bullets) and nary a hitch or hic-cup. I am beyond pleased with Springfield's rendition on John M. Browning's last designed pistol. This pistol, for me, was well worth the wait!

Oh, and the Sig 226? She performed in her usual stellar fashion! 

WYT-P

Skyhunter

Edited by Skyhunter
correct spelling & add note
  • Like 3

Thanks, Skyhunter for your thoughts on the SA 35. I've been screaming that I would purchase one asap. lol. Well, I ran across one recently, but had to pass it by...for now.

Being old, retired, and no play money left; I had to pass on this one. (I had just bouth another Walther. LOL.) So I made the very hard decision to wait. Trying to not use CC and remove them from my life right now.

Anyway, I agree with your physical assessment of the pistol. A big hesitation came while I was fondling the SA35...it sure does look and feel like a CZ75! In fact, I was having flashbacks to my range time with the 75!

Yes similar, but I probably will not let that little detail stop me in the future! I imagine it would shoot and handle every bit as good as the CZ.

So glad you gave in, and appreciate your comments.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, hipower said:

Thanks, Skyhunter for your thoughts on the SA 35. I've been screaming that I would purchase one asap. lol. Well, I ran across one recently, but had to pass it by...for now.

Being old, retired, and no play money left; I had to pass on this one. (I had just bouth another Walther. LOL.) So I made the very hard decision to wait. Trying to not use CC and remove them from my life right now.

Anyway, I agree with your physical assessment of the pistol. A big hesitation came while I was fondling the SA35...it sure does look and feel like a CZ75! In fact, I was having flashbacks to my range time with the 75!

Yes similar, but I probably will not let that little detail stop me in the future! I imagine it would shoot and handle every bit as good as the CZ.

So glad you gave in, and appreciate your comments.

Im right behind you!  I keep looking at the guns on here and elsewhere and want to buy, but then I think, Im on the verge of retirement, do i really Need another gun, lol. So far, I do still buy the latest tech like phones/watches and ipads, as I know that once I do retire, i wont be able to do that.  I really have more guns than I can shoot right now, and I also know that if the apocalypse hits, i wont survive very long without my meds anyway.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I picked up a SA-35 back in May. Love it! 😍 I'm a big Hi-Power guy anyway. I currently have five.  Unfortunately range time has been kinda hard to come by the last couple of months. So far, I only have about 300 rounds through it. But Its performed perfectly. 👍

I read in the original articles that SA re-shaped the hammer slightly just to avoid the dreaded bite. 😉

He's mine along with a few friends. 😃

BA1ZXUo.jpg

35 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I picked up a SA-35 back in May. Love it! 😍 I'm a big Hi-Power guy anyway. I currently have five.  Unfortunately range time has been kinda hard to come by the last couple of months. So far, I only have about 300 rounds through it. But Its performed perfectly. 👍

I read in the original articles that SA re-shaped the hammer slightly just to avoid the dreaded bite. 😉

He's mine along with a few friends. 😃

BA1ZXUo.jpg

version?

With my "clones" and the Detective, I've a few more than that, but nothing to brag about. Hmmm...don't you need a nice Tanget Sight model to go with those? LOL.

Have you seen the FN Herstal BDA Browning 9mm version? Sweet little pistols. A bit smaller than our Detective models.

4 hours ago, Choatecav said:

One of the members on here told me a few months after the launch that they saw one in Murfreesboro.  I called, placed it on hold and jumped in the truck.  It is a great handgun and I love shooting it.  

SA 35 Hi Power c.jpg

SA 35 Hi Power e.jpg

SA 35 Hi Power b.jpg

These really are Good photos! Make the pistol look even better. I must admit, it was very hard to lay the one I held back down. It just looked so great. The finish was awesome on it. But now got my juices up on a Bobcat 22. Just like the idea of the can being bigger than the pistol and  a weakness for 22. BAD.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I finally found one, put it on layaway should be able to pick it up next week. I got a few upgrades for it, new trigger parts, Mag well, custom grips, found a Milt Sparks OWB Holster for it also. Stay tuned for the pictures of everything I bought for it and when I get everything installed, this should be a fun project for me to start on as soon as I pick it up.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, DJTC45 said:

I finally found one, put it on layaway should be able to pick it up next week. I got a few upgrades for it, new trigger parts, Mag well, custom grips, found a Milt Sparks OWB Holster for it also. Stay tuned for the pictures of everything I bought for it and when I get everything installed, this should be a fun project for me to start on as soon as I pick it up.

Congratulations and enjoy the ride.......

Looks like an interesting project. Personally, I'm more than happy with my SA-35 as is. 

I went to Apex's site and looked these parts up. I noticed that the mag well requires the use of Apex's 17 & 19 round magazines and that you either need to use their grips or you'll have to cut your's to fit. I don't think I care for that. 

But I'm still interested to see how your gun turns out. 😉

• Like 1