Reasons to get a permit?

I would appreciate your views on the benefits of getting a carry permit. I have a vague idea that with a permit I'll be able to carry legally in more places and also have a more positive treatment with law enforcement and the legal system in the event that some relevant situation arises (including a simple traffic stop). But I also have some concern with being on a government list of probable gun owners. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Pong said:

My purchases were about 15 years ago at a chain store. 

Yep, those never go away. I get the distrust but to me and only me the benefit of having a permit and being able to carry in other states without fear of prosecution out ways the fear of being known as a gun owner. 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Pong said:

I also have some concern with being on a government list of probable gun owners. 

Like Pain, I too mainly keep my permit for ease of carrying in other states. If you travel much you might as well get a permit since the government has everyone who participates in online gun forums on the list already. 

Edited by 10-Ring
Because the difference of to, too, and two is important.
  • Like 3
  • Moderators

As stated, the permit allows for carry in other states. 

I hope I'm on every list the government has as a gun owner.  They need to know and respect us. 

Trust me they already know or assume they know. Our buying habits, website visits, etc., paint a very accurate picture of who we are. 

• Like 2

To be able to carry in other states is the biggest reason. Living in the SW corner like I do, I venture into Miss and Ark several times a year. Both honor the enhanced permit. 

And if LEO should happen to check you, the enhanced permit proves that you've had at least some training. I think that would put them more at ease with you. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 11/10/2023 at 9:49 AM, Pong said:

I would appreciate your views on the benefits of getting a carry permit. I have a vague idea that with a permit I'll be able to carry legally in more places and also have a more positive treatment with law enforcement and the legal system in the event that some relevant situation arises (including a simple traffic stop). But I also have some concern with being on a government list of probable gun owners. 

While I understand the sentiment, I highly recommend getting the enhanced permit. For me the increased reciprocity and wider range of legal carrying locations are secondary.

The biggest benefit in my view is the coverage of the legal realities and use of force requirements. As an instructor I have noticed that the overwhelming majority of people have, at best, an extremely optimistic view of how the system works in self defense cases. Knowing how to articulate your actions in the proper context can be the difference between freedom and a long jail term. 

Another point to chew on.  EVERYONE needs a permit, including LEO.

Constitutional Carry in Ohio doesn't cut it in a school zone.
That is true everywhere in the U.S. 

Constitutional/permitless carry within 1000 feet of school premises is a federal crime punishable by up to 5 years and/or up to a $5K fine everywhere in the U.S. The exception relevant here is a permit issued by the state (or city or county) in which the school zone is located AND that requires LE to do a check on the licensee to verify that they are qualified to hold the permit.

There's also an exception for being on private property within the GFSZ.

Careful readers will note that just having a state/city/county issued permit isn't enough.

1. It has to be issued by the state/city/county where the school zone is. If you are carrying out of your home state with your home state permit via reciprocity, be aware that every time you drive within 1000 feet of a school you are committing a federal crime.

2. The permit must be one that requires LE to do a check for eligibility/qualification. If your state/city/county issues permits upon request with no background check required, you are committing a federal crime any time you drive within 1000 feet of a school while carrying.

• Copied from “THE HIGHEOAD”

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Rust Shackleford said:

I just renewed mine and opted for the $50/8yr option.  For the lifetime option, do you have to keep resubmitting but there is just no fee each period?

Nope. I have the lifetime it has no expiration. Never have to renew it.

On 3/27/2024 at 9:24 AM, Rust Shackleford said:

I just renewed mine and opted for the $50/8yr option.  For the lifetime option, do you have to keep resubmitting but there is just no fee each period?

Personally, I computed the lifetime versus 8-yr and figured I'd be dead before the lifetime made sense.

• Like 1

Yeah I was trying justify in my head the costs of lifetime vs 8 year, when the state solved it for me.  I got a free retired lifetime LEO permit.  I guess the state feels bad for making it difficult to get the LEOSA credential firing card so they figured this makes up for it.  LOL. So I have a no expiry LEOSA card and a lifetime retired LEO permit.  I would like to get a range card but…

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Defender said:

Yeah I was trying justify in my head the costs of lifetime vs 8 year, when the state solved it for me.  I got a free retired lifetime LEO permit.  I guess the state feels bad for making it difficult to get the LEOSA credential firing card so they figured this makes up for it.  LOL. So I have a no expiry LEOSA card and a lifetime retired LEO permit.  I would like to get a range card but…

What problems are you having getting the LEOSA card? I've got a few years before I'm eligible to retire but my understanding there is two versions one for in state and one for nationwide. Pay the fee and qualify if you do it through the state or do it through the agency you retired from unless you're from out of state. 

16 hours ago, Pain103 said:

What problems are you having getting the LEOSA card? I've got a few years before I'm eligible to retire but my understanding there is two versions one for in state and one for nationwide. Pay the fee and qualify if you do it through the state or do it through the agency you retired from unless you're from out of state. 

I have my LEOSA credential issued by the USAF and it is lifetime.  It was a grueling process but they did do that, for a hefty fee that is.   My issue is I retired from the USAF, with my last base being out of state, well out of country, but the issue is getting LEOSA paperwork signed so that the range will let me qualify and send my paperwork to the state.  The POST commission is so difficult with this stuff that many Leo’s tell me they don’t even bother. They just go the HCP route.  On the plus side, the state dept of safety  were resistant to giving me a lifetime retired LEO enhanced permit, but I was able to make contact with one of the handgun units senior people and after I explained the catch-22/almost impossibility of getting the LEOSA range paperwork signed,  he made the lifetime LEO permit happen, so I’m very, very  thankful for that.  But as you know, there are places that the HCP won’t cover and places that the LEOSA credential won’t cover, so the best bet is to have both if you can.  Once you retire from the military, all the contactsbstartbtomevaporate and it’s different than keeping up with local contacts.  Heck, all my contacts were in Germany when I retired, and only dealt with the LEOSA USAF folks via emails.  They in San Antonio and are under contract with the USAF.  They are all retire also, so they tried to be helpful, but more so If you were local to them probably. Anyway, that’s the story, LOL.