Anyone planning for trouble?

@JW3Percent Don't believe most of what you read on the internet from either side.... Conspiracy ideas abound and can drive you crazy. The internet has only made it worse than it was before.

My worry is what is happening that that all these hijinks are meant to keep us focused off of. 

Best you can do is be as prepared as possible for whatever scenarios you deem likely. I personally think a wide range EMP would be the worst. No way for a person to prevent it and then there are 330 million hungry people fighting for whatever scraps are on the shelves locally. How likely is it that the EMP strike is not noticed and prevented I do not know. Plus it would have to take out most of North America or we would just send aid from the areas not affected. Would be an issue but not long term.

Bombings and insurgent activity might affect big cities, but no one is bombing or deploying forces to Crossville or such. Maybe Oak Ridge or Nuclear Fuels in Erwin as a stretch. They are heavily guarded so much less likely to cause huge issues. DC, New York,Chicago, etc would be possibilities due to population density and lower percentage of armed citizens. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, spdfrk70 said:

Absolutely I have said it for a long time with people as dependent on services and electricity as they are if you were to shut the grid down let's say we lost power for 72 hours by the end of that I think people would be eating each other in the streets did you see the way they acted over toilet paper That's all you need to know

Have you read the book, "One Second After"?  Sure it is fiction but it goes into what happens after the power goes out.  And yes, it is predicted that within a week people are killing one another.   

That's the kind of thing I'm hoping we don't face.   I wouldn't be surprised though if we did though.   

The only way I think that we would see Trump Assassinated would be if they knew for sure that they could pin it on someone that wouldn't cause the backlash.  If they found someone who is a pro Trump supporter and convinced them to kill him, that might work.  Or, more likely, using a foreign state such as Iran.  If they did this then they could justify war with Iran and would have support from everyone.  I hope this doesn't happen because then we are really heading into WW3 fast and hard.

Same thing with the border issue in Texas.   If they get someone to kill a national guard or a Fed, but not let anyone know who fired the shot; then real fighting might start there, and that would lead to civil war.   

• Like 2

I'm 53 so I graduated in '88 and I can remember having to do a book report on George Orwell's 1984 in about 1984

For the longest time I wondered why I was important for us to use that book obviously that's fiction as well but boy it's your interesting how they want everything to go to electronics and away from books every time you open a book it says the exact same thing not so with finding things on the internet

I'm going to say like Rome we are in the decline and probably have been for a while

I'm definitely more prepared than quite a few people for an immediate short-term issue ice storm etc I could go a week pretty easy I've got a generator etc but I'm no good for a month or longer in fact I'm not even close to good for something like that and I should be

Edited by spdfrk70
4 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

@JW3Percent Don't believe most of what you read on the internet from either side.... Conspiracy ideas abound and can drive you crazy. The internet has only made it worse than it was before.

My worry is what is happening that that all these hijinks are meant to keep us focused off of. 

Best you can do is be as prepared as possible for whatever scenarios you deem likely. I personally think a wide range EMP would be the worst. No way for a person to prevent it and then there are 330 million hungry people fighting for whatever scraps are on the shelves locally. How likely is it that the EMP strike is not noticed and prevented I do not know. Plus it would have to take out most of North America or we would just send aid from the areas not affected. Would be an issue but not long term.

Bombings and insurgent activity might affect big cities, but no one is bombing or deploying forces to Crossville or such. Maybe Oak Ridge or Nuclear Fuels in Erwin as a stretch. They are heavily guarded so much less likely to cause huge issues. DC, New York,Chicago, etc would be possibilities due to population density and lower percentage of armed citizens. 

I feel you... but my info isn't coming from the internet.  Please don't think I'm some Qanon tinfoil hat guy.  The EMP thing is well, a very long, longshot.  As you said, too many people would notice a missile launch and subsequent blackout.  It wouldn't accomplish their goals, and would leave them without a means of easily brainwashing people (legacy news, social media, etc)  But I do not put it past this government to do something that drastic.

But no matter what method(s)  they use, Trump will not be allowed to tip over their apple cart.  They were caught off guard in 2016.  I do not expect them to repeat that mistake.

4 hours ago, spdfrk70 said:

I'm 53 so I graduated in '88 and I can remember having to do a book report on George Orwell's 1984 in about 1984

For the longest time I wondered why I was important for us to use that book obviously that's fiction as well but boy it's your interesting how they want everything to go to electronics and away from books every time you open a book it says the exact same thing not so with finding things on the internet

I'm going to say like Rome we are in the decline and probably have been for a while

I'm definitely more prepared than quite a few people for an immediate short-term issue ice storm etc I could go a week pretty easy I've got a generator etc but I'm no good for a month or longer in fact I'm not even close to good for something like that and I should be

51 here.  At least that's what my birth cert says.  My brain cannot fathom being that old and my back and knees apparently died in 1933

• Like 1

I read 1984 in High School as well, also graduated in '88.   it changed my view of the world at the time, made me think a lot more than I expected it to.   But it wasn't until I read it again, after college, and after reading up on George Orwell himself.   He lived through the Spanish Revolution and was fighting against the Fascist state, the book was meant to be a warning, to show people how they manipulate and bring about these things without you realizing it.  

While in 1988 it was pretty much required reading for everyone, it quickly went away after that.  It is not really taught anymore.  My sons never read it (I tried to get them too).   We are not seeing that they are here again, almost exactly what George predicted and said would happen.  They aren't using 1984 as a warning anymore, they are using it as a guide book to bring about the next regime and we are standing in their way.

For those who don't think so, we are in civil war right now.   People think that these things happen fast, that war is declared, shooting starts an 6 months later it's over and everything has changed.  No, it is a slow roll, it comes upon you.  right now we are still in the early stages, it hasn't turned hot yet.   But Texas is standing up to the Feds, it could turn hot any day, quickly.   If that keeps simmering and the elections become a total pooch screw, fighting will start.   People will die.   

I feel old.  My priority will be to protect my family, then my neighbors and community.   I'm hoping it never comes to that, but even if we don't have fighting in our area, we will be affected.  And thus, we should be prepared.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, JW3Percent said:

I'm planning for complete collapse.  Hopefully I'm a fool and in a few years we can all laugh at me over a pint.

I'm with you on that It looks grim let's hope it just looks grim

5 hours ago, jaypug said:

I believe we should always be prepared, just like having a fire extinguisher at home. You don't want or expect a fire, but if you do experience one...

The problem with that analogy is that a fire extinguisher only helps with a small fire before it gets big. It won't save your house if a wildfire comes blazing through. So the real question everyone has to ask is what level of fire protection are you willing and able to implement and maintain? A reasonable person might have multiple extinguishers on hand. A person might step it up a bit and be sure to have a written fire escape plan with the family and escape ladders by every upstairs bedroom window. Next maybe add a fire suppression blanket by the grill and the stove. Then what? Clear all trees and shrubs within 50 yards of the home? Clear all vegetation including grass? Install a metal roof? Replace exteriro siding with cement board? Add an exterior and interior sprinkler system plumbed from a well and powered by a battery wall and backup gas generator? Bulldoze up high berms around the home 100 yards out? Or a person could raze the current home and build an underground bunker made of reinforced concrete and steel.

It's a spectrum that starts with unprepared and ends in over prepared . . . unless the event happens then it looks smart.It's the same for disaster preparedness. Starting with a few supplies and ending in that same underground concrete and steel bunker.

At some point a person can be so concerned with surviving what might happen that they forget to live in the now and enjoy life. Each of us has to find the balance that's right for us given real-world constraints like time, money, location, family, and more.

• Like 6
9 hours ago, JW3Percent said:

A question I would like to ask is:  Is anyone organizing?  Are there any groups training together and organizing to protect our families and neighborhoods?  maybe there are threads in another subforum I've missed?  I haven't been active on here in a long while. 

Cheers.

Definitely not a subject I’d be discussing on a public Internet forum.

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I’m surprised this thread has gone on for so long.  It’s getting a little “out there”.

3 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I’m surprised this thread has gone on for so long.  It’s getting a little “out there”.

Lots of things going on in this country these days are getting a little " Out There".

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

Bulldoze up high berms around the home 100 yards out? Or a person could raze the current home and build an underground bunker made of reinforced concrete and steel.

Who has a bulldozer that I can borrow?

8 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Actually the thread is quite tame, no one is advocating for violence, but preparing for it if it happens.  No one is even talking about any form of violence, but working to form communities and being able to help one another in case something does happen.  You know, like what we SHOULD be doing.  You care for yourself and family first, and then help out those around you as you can.   

The goal being to survive and protect ourselves, not to go on the offensive and cause problems, just handle those that are brought to us.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, CylonGlitch said:

Have you read the book, "One Second After"?  Sure it is fiction but it goes into what happens after the power goes out.  And yes, it is predicted that within a week people are killing one another.   

I have and the 2 follow ups. Funny story, I read it the first time on vacation sitting on a porch with a view of Black Mountain. I drove through Old Fort and past the Montreat College sign on the way in. I had no idea they were included when I started. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

I have and the 2 follow ups. Funny story, I read it the first time on vacation sitting on a porch with a view of Black Mountain. I drove through Old Fort and past the Montreat College sign on the way in. I had no idea they were included when I started. 

I have not read the sequels, I thought that the first one was well done, and did cover a lot of what would be expected, but didn't think it was worth a sequel.   What did you think of them?

Cool that you were in the area it was written about, that's really neat.   🙂

2 minutes ago, CylonGlitch said:

I have not read the sequels, I thought that the first one was well done, and did cover a lot of what would be expected, but didn't think it was worth a sequel.   What did you think of them?

Cool that you were in the area it was written about, that's really neat.   🙂

I enjoyed the sequels. They stretched a few things a bit thin but were pleasant reading. I rarely read books like that for SHTF tips though, just pleasure.

It is a nice area. We spent time there for a lot of years but not so much in the last few. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, CylonGlitch said:

Who has a bulldozer that I can borrow?

Actually the thread is quite tame, no one is advocating for violence, but preparing for it if it happens.  No one is even talking about any form of violence, but working to form communities and being able to help one another in case something does happen.  You know, like what we SHOULD be doing.  You care for yourself and family first, and then help out those around you as you can.   

The goal being to survive and protect ourselves, not to go on the offensive and cause problems, just handle those that are brought to us.

Every house I have owned is just off the top of a hill in a choke point. In fact, the house I live in now had a battle fought from just above it's position. It would be a nightmare to attack if I had normal wepons. If I were to have wepons that were....lets say...more advanced the the average farmer than it would take an air strike. There a 3 ways to attack my home. Two put you in a kill box. The third would set you up for IEDs. The 4th (LOL) is where I would be set up for, but if you found that...you would be more than a cop and I can cover the entire property from that position.

I've read One Second After also.  

These threads can appear to get out there no doubt

Should we be prepared? Of course we should always be prepared

I was checking out at the store the other day Guy in front of me couldn't get his damn card to work seemed like 5-10 minutes finally they get that s*** working

I get up to register and I tell the young lady behind it and that's why you carry cash

She responds I never carry cash

So quick and easy story is this I said let's say You've got $10,000 in the bank and you're comfortable with that and the fact that you think you can always access it with your card to get whatever you need anytime day or night

Let's just say you go to bed one night and the internal revenue service decides you futzed up your tax return and you now owe them $9995 and accordingly they remove that from your account because they have that ability they have that ability today

Of course it's a mistake not trying to explain that s*** to them firing off letters phone calls it'd be months before you saw your money but in the meantime you didn't have any cash anywhere you put your faith in the system as you were taught in school to do

I said so now what?

Do yourself a favor keep some cash nearby always doesn't have to be $10,000 but you do have to keep some cash for just such an occasion

She said you know my parents never taught me that I said to her I'm not surprised regardless always plan ahead Make it a part of the way you operate

Canned goods yeah get you a bunch why not they got a fairly long shelf life and you just keep them rotated

Water I always keep some water maybe not as much as I should but I do you never know You're always getting letters in the mail blah blah blah your water failed a test etc 

People don't prepare for anything so if you mention preparing they get scared they think you're nuts

I think it's more nuts the fact we've gotten away from self-reliance

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

I am not referring to organizing against the USG.  More like organizing your neighborhood against riots, looters, and maybe Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, spdfrk70 said:

People don't prepare for anything so if you mention preparing they get scared they think you're nuts

I think it's more nuts the fact we've gotten away from self-reliance

The question is always how much self-reliance are you willing to buy and how much hassle are you willing to put up with? Or said another way . . . how nutty do you want to look to the normies? 😉

As for One Second After, the sequel was OK. The 3rd one was "meh" at best, IMO. None of them are outstanding examples of literature, but they provide a plausible, if not likely, sequence of events following a societal collapse. Apparently there's now a 4th one (Five Years After). I'll probably read it just because.  🙂

They were all better than his book Pillar To The Sky. Now THAT's a slog to get through.

• Like 2

Look at what we had just a few short years ago people allowed to pillage and burn things

We had idiots blocking major roadways through huge cities

I think the covid lock down and the reaction to it should have been an eye opener for some people

Kind of like 9/11 should have been an eye opener

Regardless of where you stand on what took place and who's responsible

We had always been told nothing like that would happen on our soil

Regardless I can tell you the industry that I'm in shut down for a while but pick back up with no problems in quality or supply

Fast forward to 2008 when the 💩 came down 

You could always get the parts you needed in my industry which is transmissions no issues before 2008 2009

It's never been the same since then and only gotten worse since the COVID fiasco 

So I mention this mainly because I prepare I buy things ahead of time that I didn't used to

I have stocked up on some cores because even common parts are hard to get 

So that's what it took for me to open my eyes I've always planned ahead but I'm more proactive and getting a bit more everyday

Edited by spdfrk70

A"The road" was a good book. It made you ask the question...if it came down to if your family dies or your family lives and you neighbors die ....what would you do? You end up feeling dirty no matter your decision. 

To the original question……Always prepping for something but never overtly planning  anything. I’m not much of a runner. Not much of an evader. They will get me certainly. They will never get tired. Perhaps blisters on my pointer fingers and out of projectiles. But not tired.

About the only real "plan" I have is how to get home from work, the most likely scenario for me to get caught away from home should something go bad fast. I have to get across the Cumberland River and there are only so many crossing points, so knowing what those are is important to me.