Types of Motor Oil you use and why?

Guest db99wj

Guest db99wj

Just as the title says. I'm up for my first oil change in the 09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and this is always a "spirited" discussion on a Jeep forum I am a member of....and I assume all automotive forums.

I am reading about Mobil 1, getting a lot of good reviews. I might change to this

Amsol, Royal Purple are some others that are mentioned alot.

I know there are some gear heads on here, what you say?

So, what type, why?

Change Interval?

In my old Jeep, I used Valvoline Synthetic for high mileage engines. (Looking to do something different, Mobile 1 is in the lead)

Previously with the Synthetic, I would change about 5,000 miles.

Edited by db99wj
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kdpate

In my F-150 I use Valvoline 10-30 conventional oil and in both the wife's Fusion and my Mustang I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil (5-20 for the Fusion, 5-30 for the Mustang) mainly cause I commute 90 miles round trip a day. My antique farm engines get non-detergent 30 weight from TSC.....

My father in-law builds high end race engines. Mostly for sprint cars and late models. I asked him the same question and he told me that it really just doesn't matter which brand of reputable oil you use when it come to manufactured low compression engines. It is just important that you change it regularly 3-5k. I have always used castrol. My GMC had 286K on it when I sold it and it still wasn't using oil. Loved that engine. I just changed oil every 3-5k and maintained it well.

Guest mustangdave

Both Mustangs in the garage...09 Bullitt Mustang and an 03 Roush Mustang have AMSOil 0W-20 in em...have used both Royal Purple and Valvoline Synthetic as well. Mobile ONE is excellent stuff you can't go wrong there. change interval...around 7500 miles

Guest smittyb

Royal Purple is very good, but I don't think you'd wanna pay for it on a dd vehicle. Mobile 1 is a great synthetic. Regular old Valvoline is hard to beat for not much money.

BTW all motor oils that meet the new API standards have signifigantly lower levels of zinc to help fight pollution. The problem here is zinc is an excellent wear resistant. You can add secondary products to your oil to combat this, but there is an easier way. The new Q line of Quaker State oils, the Q Racing, Q Horsepower, and so on, are a "specialty" oil that do not have to meet the EPA standards. Theese oils have the higher levels of zinc alreadt in them, and will meet API standards.

I'm sure there are other oils like this, but this is the only one I know of for sure.

Am I the only one that still uses conventional oil?? The onlything that gets put in any of my vehicles is Pennzoil. I put a '78 305 in my '70 chevy pickup & put over 350,000 miles on it. I still have it & it runs great when I do start it.

Also Pennzoil is the only thing we use in the shop where I work.

Going by the oil samples when we tried out synthetic our wear metals went up too much to stay with it.

Everything gets synthetic. Bikes and mowers included. Amsoil V-Twin in the bikes. Mobil 1 in the mowers. I use Motorcraft synthetic blend in my Ford as it is the oil recommended by Ford and is at least a synthetic blend. I also use it in my wife's Jeep as it meets the viscosity requirements, it's synthetic blend and it cuts down on the number of oils I have to have on hand. 4000 miles is the change target for all. Well, except the mowers.

I use Penzoil in all my gasoline engines. I do so because my father always used it. Neither of us have ever encountered any engine trouble in anything. The diesel engines get Shell Rotella T. I'm not sure why. It's widely available I guess.

I have used Mobil 1 and Amsoil in the past. A few years I went back to the Motorcraft Syn-Blen that Ford issued new in my vehicles. For me changing regularly and using only a quality oil filter is peace of mind enough. I would never wait 7,500 miles for an oil change ... using synthetics, or not. If I run the cars hard I will change the oil every 1,500 miles or so.

Saw that oil thread on the wrangler forum. I have been using Castrol 10w-30 since 1989 on my Chevy K1500, 218,000 miles and counting with no problems and I change oil at the 5,000 mile mark. Both Jeeps get the same plan, Drove a re-ringed 283 years ago 100,000 before I sold it and had no problems with that either. I just don't get the thought of changing oil every 3,000 or 3,500 miles.

I know you don't want to here about all the money you have waisted but if you use synthetic oil you do not have to change it just change the filter at about 5k and top it off.

Yep, I'm making a list of who not to buy a car from.

But seriously, I do think synthetic oils are great and do hold up for a lot of miles but for the $20 or so it costs me to change my oil every couple of months, it's cheap peace of mind. It only takes a few minutes, I like seeing clean oil draining from my pan and my car and bike stay very happy.