Springfield Armory SOCOM 16

Guest JHatmaker

Guest JHatmaker

First off thanks to Joe and the fellers at Hero Gear for hooking me up, I've been wanting this rifle for a long time, and finally took it home.

Got an EoTech on there for now, but may look at getting some sort of "Scout-type" scope, does anyone have any recommendations? Also might add a Vltor stock/rail assembly in the future. Anything else I need to know from the Scout rifle fans? Thanks guys!

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2089.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

Thanks fellas! Haven't shot it yet Hex, so tomorrow will be the first time. I'll post a report after I test it out.

I'm like a kid after Christmas morning, I'm watching football but have the rifle in my lap :tough:

Guest malbolja

Interesting. When did they start checkering the front of the stock? I think I like that.

I have a Burris scout scope on mine. If you'd like to try before you buy maybe we can meet up at Owl Hollow some time, I'd be glad to let you shoot it.

Guest JHatmaker
You know...you can get the SOCOM in "green" too...serouslythough NICE rifle.

The green does look pretty cool, went to the gun show today and saw a green one.

Interesting. When did they start checkering the front of the stock? I think I like that.

I have a Burris scout scope on mine. If you'd like to try before you buy maybe we can meet up at Owl Hollow some time, I'd be glad to let you shoot it.

Appreciate the offer, I'll let you know.

Thanks fellas! Haven't shot it yet Hex, so tomorrow will be the first time. I'll post a report after I test it out.

I'm like a kid after Christmas morning, I'm watching football but have the rifle in my lap ;)

Well, how was she?

Guest JHatmaker

Very nice, pretty much handled how I imagined. Recoil's not too bad (definately not like shooting my .223). I swapped out the EoTech with my TriPower, a little less weight up top (not that it was a big difference). Didn't have any issues.

Next on my "to do" list is swap out the stocks. Thinking I'd like to go with a pistol grip. Vltor/Sage/Troy make some sweet rigs, at a price....

Overall I'm very pleased with it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JHatmaker

For those with M1A's/SOCOM 16's that couldn't find/get a SOCOM II, but want the "Cluster Rail" quad-rail as (Springfield Armory calls it), that comes on the II; you're in luck...

Finally got a call back from SA and they informed they do sell the Cluster Rail individually on an installation only basis; meaning you have to mail them your rifle. The cost for the standard rail is $400, and for the extended rail which goes all the way to the rear sight, it's $500.

Pretty expensive, but compared to Vltor/Troy Industies/J Allen Precision's versions, it's a bargain.

Wanted to post for anyone interested or for future reference.

For those with M1A's/SOCOM 16's that couldn't find/get a SOCOM II, but want the "Cluster Rail" quad-rail as (Springfield Armory calls it), that comes on the II; you're in luck...

Finally got a call back from SA and they informed they do sell the Cluster Rail individually on an installation only basis; meaning you have to mail them your rifle. The cost for the standard rail is $400, and for the extended rail which goes all the way to the rear sight, it's $500.

Pretty expensive, but compared to Vltor/Troy Industies/J Allen Precision's versions, it's a bargain.

For that sort of coin, I would go ahead and bump up to the end all in M14/M1A coolness:

MCS Chassis Only - Black

m14chasmain.jpg

Guest kennymc

If I didn't already have the cluster on my SOCOM II I would go with the TROY MCS or a Sage. You get the rail space, a pistol grip, and an adjustable stock. The VLTOR cluster is heavy for just a rail system, and the top rail sits very high, so you either need a cheek riser or the VLTOR stock which raises an inch and costs over $400 itself.

My M1A has sat in the safe for more than a year until this morning (was at the range for something else so I took it out and shot a few mags, I will never get rid of this gun :D). I would shoot it more but 308 aint cheap and mine doesn't like Brown Bear. I am waiting for Brownells to get the VLTOR stocks back in stock, they said later this month.

• Admin Team

JHat, that's a sweet weapon. I've got my heart set on a walnut scout squad.

For all of those coveting the rifle, I bet you'll be able to get a pretty good deal on it after Jason's wife beats him to death with it when he gets grease on her couch.