Hello from China.

I was raised in Franklin, Moved to Sioux Falls South Dakota for school, lived in Nashville for while there and now I live in Southern China for the next year or so.

Doing some work at some coal mines out here. Safty and outfitting mostly, Selling and buying equipment also.

Can't wait to get back to Tennessee and look into a CCL and picking up all the those things I can only drool at while over here in China. Look forward to meeting some folks on here and all that, and I'd be happy to answer any crazy Chinese questions you have, I've pretty much been anywhere there is worth going in China.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the welcoming attitudes and all.

@Schadenfreude: I have not been to Lido bar that I can recall but when I am in Beijing I am usually pretty drunk, and I've eaten more than my fair share of Beijing Duck which is some of the best duck I've had.

I do a lot of business at Tea Houses so I have seen quite a few and most are pretty intense; and no "Maobama" T-shirts most the average joe's people love him most of the businessmen hate him and call him protectionist because of all kinds of new tariffs on export goods to the US from here.

@Ohshoot, a few hundred grand here may not be as much as your hoping for once you exchange it.

@Garufa, simply, No. no guns for any reason. Since I stepped off the plane in China six months ago, I have not seen one firearm. At all. The police do not carry any weapons, no baton, nightstick, anything. The army trolls around now and then but they don't ever have any weapons... Brake the rules and the consequences are very stiff, so no one breaks the rules.

@TripleDigitRide, My wife's father has worked over here for about 10 years, he used to be work in the Indy coal area but they pay good money over here, so I guess my answer was money, also I am still a young guy and climbing the ladder takes a while, but you can skip a few rungs if you run off to China for a bit. Did I mention money?

I'd say the worst part is there is no Chewing Tobacco in the whole country...

I'd say the best part is, since there is no chew, its good smokes are like 50 cents a pack.

sorry for the novel.

and sorry but my posts will always be at bad times, I am like +11 or 12 hours off you guys.

Edited by John

@Garufa, simply, No. no guns for any reason. Since I stepped off the plane in China six months ago, I have not seen one firearm. At all. The police do not carry any weapons, no baton, nightstick, anything. The army trolls around now and then but they don't ever have any weapons... Brake the rules and the consequences are very stiff, so no one breaks the rules.

Kan! Lao wai! :P

Welcome to the Forum, John. Hope you enjoy your time in China.

As for guns...well, they're there. And there are cops who do carry. When I was there back in '96, I watched a cop commandeer a bicycle and chase someone who, I think, had also stolen a bicycle. Being on bikes, too, me and a friend followed to see what would happen. Long story short, the cop caught up to the guy and, still on the bike, drew his gun and pointed it at the thief while still riding. Finger on trigger, and the bike wobbling, I thought I was going to watch a guy get his head blown off (and not necessarily the bad guy, either. Beijing is a very crowded city.)

Also, if you'd like to get your hands on a gun while you're there, you can check out the China North International Shooting Range, just outside of Beijing. I'll be honest with you. You can shoot all kinds of guns there, including machine guns, suppressed weapons, and from what I was told, RPGs and mortars, if you have the money. The bad news is that ammo is horribly expensive. The even worse news is that you're assigned a "range nanny" who loads the gun for you, attaches it to a chain that restricts which way you can point it, and then stands right behind you while you shoot, presumably to kill you with a kung-fu punch if you get a little crazy.

Still, if you've just got to shoot, it's the only (legal) game in town.