Which rifle to get.

Chumney

I am trying to decide which rifle to get within reason. I am trying to decide between these three. The M-1 Garand, a M-1a or and AR-10 type. Limiting my purchase to just one more long weapon. I have both 30-06 and .308 bolt weapons. I dod not at his point need a match rifle, and I have a m-4orgery. Give your choice and reasons for that choice.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These three rifles have some very different characteristics. Asking US to choose between them without knowing what you really want to do with it is like asking the government to run Healthcare.

Tell us what kind of shooting you want to use it for, and under what conditions. Informal shooting involving cans, zombie defense, SHTF, invasion, practice for possible match use later, hunting, etc. What are the factors that influence your buying decisions and how important are they? Will you shoot mostly surplus ammo? Hunting ammo? Handloads? How important are military-style reliability and durability? Do you like to tinker with your guns? Do you like trendy accessories? How much do you intend to spend? Do you want to scope it or just use iron sights?

The choice is for a reliable weapon that will be a SHTF at worst, a plinking and training weapon at best. With our current president and his staff, this might be a mute point I plan use of iron sights. I have a M-24 type weapon in .308 and a hunting weapon in 30-06. Surplus ammo and handloads are the types of ammo to be used. I have the M-4orgery for the tinkering and added enough extras to it. I have shot the M-1 Garand and a M-14. I like both, but the AR-10 platform is interesting. I promised to only get one more weapon and these are the choices I have limited to myself.

Edited by Chumney
Proof read sent statement. Trying to use a small laptop that does almost what you want.

Thats a tough choice i've got a couple of M1A's and they are some of my favorites. That would be my first choice. But i plan on getting a garand from cmp soon because when they are gone there will be no more and they are fun to shoot. I am also looking at AR-10's currently trying to decide which one. Go with the M1a you wount be disapointed.

Asking US to choose between them without knowing what you really want to do with it is like asking the government to run Healthcare.

rollfloor.gif

Without knowing your application, of those three my first choice would be the Garand. Simply because you can still get a real military collectable from CMP at a great price. It will never go down in value.

My second choice would be a .308 AR type. Just because I wanted an AR but I wanted it in .308. I have a DPMS panther that fits that bill nicely.

Last would be a M1A because it’s just a civilian copy of an M14. Lots of fun to shoot, but no real collector desirability. I sure would like to have an M14 for my military collection though. :P

The problem with M1As is the magazines are getting to be hugely expensive. A good mag costs upwards of $45-$50. You can get crap for around $25, but that's exactly what you get. CRAP! Not to mention the cost of any work you want done to it. Parts are really expensive too. An Op rod will go $200 plus. New barrel, $200 plus, etc, etc. Not many people are all that good at working on them anymore either.

If it were me, I'd go with an AR platform or maybe even a Saiga in .308 if cost were a problem. Plenty of stuff to be had that can be added to it and it's an AK with AK dependability. Not as accurate as a AR, but accurate enough for hunting or a SHTF scenario.

Guest HexHead

I'd get an M1A, but that's only because I already have a Garand.

If I were you however, I'd get the Garand. Great rifle. There's nothing they haven't already been battle tested doing, a true collectible and when they're gone, they're gone. Both of your alternatives are commercially being produced and you can always get one.

Keep in mind, both of the alternatives were on the last AWB list and if there's another one, they sure will be on that list as well with no guarantee of "grandfathering" next time.

M1A Scout. thats what i have and what id recommend. my second choice would be the AR10. i know the Garand has more collector appeal and is more than enough rifle but i just prefer the mag fed .308s. you already have a M24 clone so i would get a mid range weapon like an 18" M1A. they are great out to 600 meters and further if youre up to it. i shoot my scout regularly at 200 yards. i maintain 2moa with south african surplus and no modifications to the rifle yet.

as far as mags being expensive, 44Mag.com has been running a sale most of the year for CMI mags, current usgi, for 20/each. i also have a couple c-products and several unknown mags. out of the 10 ive bought, 1 double fed but was corrected by adjusting the feed lips. an AR10 will be the same price for mags. if not more as well. the only way to get cheap mags is to get a ptr/hk91. the mags can be had for as little as 99cents. the rifle is not known for accuracy though.

if you plan on shooting irons, the M1A would be my choice. you can upgrade to a NM hooded aperature if youd like as well. the AR10 would give you the same irons as your M4 and is seen as easier to make accurate. i think they are still not quite proven enough on their reliability though. the military did just go to them for some Sniper applications but they are fielding more M14s in the DMR role than the AR10s by far.

You've made three good choices, although the ar-10 platform is very heavy. Decide what is a very good price and them spend the next three months shopping, buy any one you find at a great price, shoot it if it's not for you, sell it and if it was a good deal you shouldn't lose on the experiment. I bought a Garand, love it but don't shoot it. Then an M-1A, good shooter and then a FN-FAL. The FN-FAL never did anything for me, think it's going to the next gun show and will be up for adoption

Guest GunTroll

M1! You should have just done a poll.

Easier than ready all these opinions.

M1 is history and badassness rolled up into one package. A mans rifle. AR's feel like toys compared to a M1. I got a M1a and like it but it ain't no M1.

Chumney, how 'bout coming up to Kingsport weekend after next? Take one of my Garands and one of my M1A's down to my range and shoot 'em. That might help your decision process.

Best response yet! I shot a M1 Garand just a few hours ago... Wow! I loved it and now I'm gonna have to go down and get one from CMP.

My vote would go for the Garand.

Edited by BrasilNuts

I thought about a poll, but the reason for the question instead is that a poll is a vote. A discussion is a better way of communicating information.

A M-1 Garand a great battle rife. 8 shot enblock clip and Garand thumb. I have had one that I got at 14.:)

M-1A , M-14 a son of a Garand. 10 and 20 round mags that loads like an AK. Last shot one when I was 14. Next door neighbor's brother in the Corps brought both a M-1 and M-14 home with him, before his first tour of duty.

AR platform is Stoner's design originally to replaced the M-14. 19 and 20 round mags but pukes where it eats.

All-American line of rifles.:D

Edited by Chumney
confused information

Thanks for the clarification about likes and intended use. Now we can all give you our unbiased opinions! ;)

All three of those weapons will meet you purposes. Surplus .30-06 is less expensive than surplus .308 right now. And CMP says they've got more Greek '06 on the way. the Garand is an excellent choice with good ergonomics, excellent sights, and a sleek design that doesn't catch on things as you slither through underbrush. Clips are relatively inexpensive, and a lot of '06 surplus ammo comes already packed on them. Spare parts should be a complete bolt and trigger housing.

The M1A suffers from expensive spare parts. Other than that, it is also an excellent choice. You can sometimes pick up one of the Chinese rifles rebuilt with GI parts for a low price. Mags have come down a LOT! Chinese, Taiwanese, and GI mags are all running about $20-25 each. Do not bother with non-USGI spec mags. Again, an extra complete bolt and trigger housing will get you through most problems.

The Armalite AR-10 would be my last choice. Mainly because it's limited military service has only been with snipers who really baby their weapons. On the plus side, the sights and ergonomics are excellent, and they have an excellent reputation for accuracy. The DPMS-style mags are a better design for an AR-style rifle than a modified M-14 mag, as well as being somewhat less expensive. And the DPMS rifles seem to be more affordable. A complete bolt and lower parts kit should provide all the likely spares you will need.

You might consider the FN FAL. It is as accurate as a rack-grade M1A or Garand (~2-3moa), has excellent ergonomics, and a reputation for reliability and durability unmatched by any other .308 rifle. Spare parts and mags are quite inexpensive, and you don't have to worry about which manufacturers are best. ALL FALs were built under the supervision of FN in either Belgium, Brazil, Israel, or Argentina. An extra bolt and extra spring kit is all you are likely to need.

If you can find a friend(s) who has all of these, take the time to go to the range and try them out. Your personal preference and wallet are probably the most important factors in your decision. Otherwise, all of these rifles will accomplish what you want.

Guest BigShot

Tormented over the same issue for a LONG time and came across an M1A Scout with the 18" barrel with pic rail for a dot or scope. I have not set it up yet with either as the peeps are awesome. I truly believe it was the right decision for me as it's a very reliable, rugged duty weapon that can handle any zombie threats with ease. Need to get a dozen mags to go with it and settle in. :hiding:

Let me start by saying that I have never shot a Garand. That being said I have had both an M1A (Federal Ordinance with all USGI parts) and DPMS LR308 at the same time. The DPMS was more accurate and fit my needs better so I kept it. If you get one make sure to get the C-Products mags, I had a lot of problems with the DPMS mags.

Good suggestions all around. I want to thank each of you for your input and those who have offered a chance to try their weapons. For the present and near future, I can not get a chance to try them out, Holidays and work, you can say family along with work obligations. I have tenative plans to attend the CMP program in Oak Ridge this spring. As it stands right now, I am leaning more to the M-1 Garand early, then an AR platform and finally the M-1A. All may change if my eyes get worse, then it would be the AR with a scope.