savage

my82cam

i have a chance to trade a gun for a savage tactical 308 with simmons 6-20 scope and harris bipods, it seems to be a good deal. it doesn't have the accutrigger but is in good shape. anybody have any experience with this kind of gun? i'm looking at it to be an accurate beater gun that will take some wear and tear over my 700 deluxe in 30-06 with leupold. any comments good or bad? this will be my first real savage and i bleed remington and winchester so it is hard to swallow getting a savage....

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A long time ago, Savage made beautiful, high quality rifles. Later on, they made butt ugly, high quality rifles. It looks to me like their trying to steer away from that image a bit with the introduction of their classic series. They are fairly attractive rifles.

this will be my first real savage and i bleed remington and winchester so it is hard to swallow getting a savage....

You have Remingtons and Winchesters to show people, you get a Savage to shoot things. Savage will outshoot everything else off the rack at a lower price allowing more $$ for optics.

Guest JHatmaker

I just bought a Model 10 .308 from a member on here. Haven't shot it yet, but from everything I read, it's one of the most accurate rifles you can get for the money...

has anybody seen the special they have at academy? a stevens savage model 200 in 270 or 243 for $199! that is cheap! i felt it, doesn't feel bad but was kinda barrel heavy and stock light, might kick more than a normal 270. did some reading last night on it and it is supposed to be a good rifle.

has anybody seen the special they have at academy? a stevens savage model 200 in 270 or 243 for $199! that is cheap! i felt it, doesn't feel bad but was kinda barrel heavy and stock light, might kick more than a normal 270. did some reading last night on it and it is supposed to be a good rifle.

It is a pre-accutrigger Savage. Those were always good guns.

i went back to academy thinking about buying the 243 to replace the ar i just sold. they only have 243 and 7m-08. didn't really want either of those calibers as a yote gun so i passed to wait for something else at a better time when i have more money. they have a savage 223 for 299 but didn't have the extra money. grrr moving is taking all my gun money!

I had a Savage 110 in 7mm mag., and now have a Savage 10 in .243 and love it. Check out my WTB ad in the classifieds under WTB SAvage. I have two Savage Model 24s, and love them...and no sir, they're not for sale! A person can always change out the stock to a prettier one, but that Savage "accuracy" can't be put onto another make so easily. I'm sold on the Savage.

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

Guest JHatmaker

I saw that in their ad in the paper. Thought about checking them out.

• 1 year later...
I just bought a Model 10 .308 from a member on here. Haven't shot it yet, but from everything I read, it's one of the most accurate rifles you can get for the money...

In case you don't like it for some reason... I'd be interested in taking it off of your hands! Cash or trade!

A few years ago, I traded a Kahr K40 for an older Savage 110 Tactical with an aftermarket trigger and a c note. I couldn't have made a better deal. As a marine sniper I REALLY appreciate accurate rifles. I have several remingtons, and a couple Ruger tacticals, and this Savage is the most consistently accurate gun. One of my Rugers will group right at 1/4 MOA, but with select ammo. My savage will shott under 1 MOA all day long with any ammo, including WWB.

Savage makes a damned accurate rifle, and the older non accu trigger versions hold up. I've got over 1500 rounds through mine (along with who knows how many before I bought it) and it keeps on running great!

There are two basic break dowsn as far as Savages go. They are the pre-accutrigger&flat back guns and the accutrigger&round back guns.

The flat back guns, although better than most, still are not built to the same standards as the modern, accutrigger&round back guns. Most people are not going to see a difference but there is. Call Savage and they will tell you they will not warranty any flat back guns but will warranty any round back guns. Since the regime change at Savage the quality has gone through the roof compared to previous guns. I would have to find one really cheap in order for me to own a flat back Savage.

Prior to the change all Savages were model 11x's regardless of caliber. Now they have short action model 1x or long action 11x depending on caliber.

The best value in a Savage are the Stevens 200's. They are moden Savages but without the accutrigger. All parts for a Savage fit, stocks, triggers, mounts. And swapping barrels is the same. It takes me about 10 minutes to swap barrels and another 10 if I have to swap the bolt head on the bolt. They have the round back indicating a modern Savage. I use them for most of my builds because they are more in spec than most Savages. The reason is Savages are polished up by hand to make them pretty for the customer while the Stevens are "as machined". They may not be as shiny but they aren't polished to a point where they are out of spec. For most this doesn't matter but for some it means everything. Another great thing is the Stevens guns are cheap. They are in the $300 range but come up for sale regularly at Academy Sports for less than $200.

The Stevens 200 should not be confused with the Savage Edge/Axis. Those are a totally unique gun that was built to compete with the cheapest of guns. There is not any aftermarket support for them at all right now.

I have a Stevens in 223 that I built. It has a factory SS 7 twist fluted barrel that is 26" long. It is sitting in a Stockade PDS/T stock and has a SSS competition trigger. It is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned and is a blast to shoot. I still need to tweak the handloads to squeeze a little more out of it but so far the smallest group has been .362" using 69 SMK's and Varget running 2950 fps. And that was a 7 shot group, not a 3 or a 5 shot group.

Dolomite