Obligation to Carry?

Guest Gawain

Hi All,

I just searched this forum for the word, "obligation" and found nothing, so I believe this might be a legitimate thread.... :D

If you have a TN Handgun Carry Permit (thanks again Titan14) do you feel obligated to carry as often as you are able in order to protect the sheep you encounter?

Now, I've got to give credit where credit is due, this subject was introduced to me by Nutnfancy on youtube.com. If you are not aware of Nutnfancy, he reviews guns, knives, and survival equipment... and does quit a good job at it, in my humble opinion..... anyway, one of his videos is titled, "Obligation to Carry."

After watching Nutnfancy's video, I admit that I agreed with him 100%. I feel that I have an obligation to carry since I acquired my TN Handgun Carry Permit. Nutfancy calls us (gun owners, especially handgun carry people) shepherds and the people walking around oblivious to possible dangerous situations (and not prepared to handle these situations) sheep.

Anyway, what do you think? Is it OK to leave your piece home when you anticipate a quick trip to Walley World? Or should you take off your belt and put on your deep conceal holster before you journey out?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

I'm obligated to protect myself. I am not obligated to protect any "sheep". Feeling obligated to protect random people with your HCP is a dangerous line of thinking.

Hi All,

I just searched this forum for the word, "obligation" and found nothing, so I believe this might be a legitimate thread.... :D

If you have a TN Handgun Carry Permit (thanks again Titan14) do you feel obligated to carry as often as you are able in order to protect the sheep you encounter?

Now, I've got to give credit where credit is due, this subject was introduced to me by Nutnfancy on youtube.com. If you are not aware of Nutnfancy, he reviews guns, knives, and survival equipment... and does quit a good job at it, in my humble opinion..... anyway, one of his videos is titled, "Obligation to Carry."

After watching Nutnfancy's video, I admit that I agreed with him 100%. I feel that I have an obligation to carry since I acquired my TN Handgun Carry Permit. Nutfancy calls us (gun owners, especially handgun carry people) shepherds and the people walking around oblivious to possible dangerous situations (and not prepared to handle these situations) sheep.

Anyway, what do you think? Is it OK to leave your piece home when you anticipate a quick trip to Walley World? Or should you take off your belt and put on your deep conceal holster before you journey out?

I dunno.. I don't always carry. I always have one in the car but not always on me personally. I would say it's about 50/50 chance I may be packin.

I don't feel obligated to carry becasue of anything. I carry when I see fit.

I'm obligated to protect myself. I am not obligated to protect any "sheep". Feeling obligated to protect random people with your HCP is a dangerous line of thinking.

Interesting concept bkelm. Dangerous in what way?

What is dangerous to me, in my mind at least, would be me, standing by and watching a crazy person with a gun shoot people while I either don't react or can't react because I left my piece at home. I would have a very hard time living with myself after a scenario like that played itself out.

Craig

By the way, there is no right or wrong answer here. I'm just curious how many people think like I do concerning this scenario. Seems like not many..... LOL.....:D

The only other people I feel obligated to protect are my family and any close friends that might be with me. Otherwise, the sheep can protect theirselves. I went to class, I got finger printed, I paid the fee, I bought the gun, I go to the range, and I did it for me. Trying to be a hero by protecting other people is not an obligation; it can be very foolish and has great potential to put you in very bad situations.

I also carry to protect myself and my loved ones. Your example seems to want to make all HCP holders a secondary law enforcement agency and that is not the purpose of HCP's. LEO's don't want us out there trying to protect everyone who may be in our immediate vicinity. Now, if I'm in some business and a nut comes in shooting I'm gonna protect myself and if by doing so I save the lives of some others then that is fine and I'll be glad that it worked out that way. But that is not my job to protect the rest of Nashville.

Guest hoss6175

I carry every time I leave the house. I'm so bad I carry at home. With that said I carry to protect myself and my family and hopefully if a sheep needs me I be able

to do something other than stand there and wait for the BG to come for me or mine.

I guess lucky for the sheep.

I absolutely do not carry for anyone but ME. I am not a shepherd, nor a hero, nor a LEO, nor a soldier in battle. Its about self-preservation. I will protect myself and/or any close family or friends(and im not one to use the word friend loosely). Everyone else has the same right/privelege(sp?) as I do to go through the proper channels to get their permit and carry a gun to protect themselves, not my responsibility. I cant say that even if I did have my gun on me that I would stop, for example, a robbery in progress, if I wasnt in danger myself.

I carry unless Im sleeping,in the shower or out of the country.I am not obligated to use my firearm but,if Im in a shell station and a BG starts shooting folks I would be in fear for my life.

I carry because I feel obligated to protect my family and myself. If I happen to encounter a situation where I am willing and able to protect another, so be it.

Yeppers.

I'm not an LEO, don't have the training, don't want to pretend otherwise.

I absolutely do not carry for anyone but ME. I am not a shepherd, nor a hero, nor a LEO, nor a soldier in battle. Its about self-preservation. I will protect myself and/or any close family or friends(and im not one to use the word friend loosely). Everyone else has the same right/privelege(sp?) as I do to go through the proper channels to get their permit and carry a gun to protect themselves, not my responsibility. I cant say that even if I did have my gun on me that I would stop, for example, a robbery in progress, if I wasnt in danger myself.

WOW!!! If you were in a small store say Mcdonalds and a person came in shooting random people,you would not stop him unless BG pointed a gun at you or yours.Just let BG gun down 5,6,7 until your # comes up.

WOW!!! If you were in a small store say Mcdonalds and a person came in shooting random people,you would not stop him unless BG pointed a gun at you or yours.Just let BG gun down 5,6,7 until your # comes up.

if he was shooting people, I would def. stop him, but not if he just showed it to the cashier and demanded money

The way the law is written, if your life is not in danger, you better know why a 3rd party is in danger before you act. The "crazy gunman" scenario is obvious, but many other posts have been made about ambiguous situations that might occur.

If a person wants to carry in order to right wrongs and protect others, my opinion is that such a person should become a LEO and do it with a badge that comes with all the tactical and legal training that is required.

I like to think that I would make good decisions and defend those who need it, but what makes me different, in terms of legal status, than some former posters who are clearly nuts?

• Moderators

My reason for applying for my permit is to have the ability to protect myself and my loved ones. As far as others go, unless I am %100 certain of all the facts in a given situation my gun is not going to clear leather, too many variables, Do I really know who is the good guy and who is the bad guy? Is the person with gun another citizen legally defending themselves ? Is it undercover LEO? Is it one of a million other reasons my gun needs to stay holstered? most likely I don't know which means I do my part and remember everything I can and be a good witness. I'm not LEO and therefore I am not empowered to and don't need to act like one.

Its good to see a lot of balanced views on this. I completely agree with this as you have to remember that you are responsible for any round that goes out of your gun. I don't think I would hesitate to intervene if some BG has someone right in front of me at gunpoint, but I'm sure not looking to be a John Wayne.

I however make it a point to carry everywhere I go (that is legal, or course). There is no point in having a permit to me and not be carrying, because you and I don't get to pick the time or place that something happens. The BG does.

As several have posted... I carry to protect myself, which extends to those I care for personally when they are with me, but I do not see my HCP as a hero-membership-card in any shape, form or fashion. Everyone else has the equal right to decide for themselves to be armed or not... and if they choose not to be, it's their butt, not mine. As to the 'obligation' part of the question... yes, I am obligated to protect myself, since noone else is truly obligated to protect me. That starts with me being aware of the risks involved in a situation, and being prepared to deal with it, and acting accordingly. Carrying a gun always, however, is not an obligation... it is simply a prudent precaution when I am aware that a situation may require the use of a firearm. There are many other ways and tools with which I may protect myself... and above all my true obligation is to use the most important tool which I always carry, my brain.