Keep getting Mal-Ware? Any computer gurus?

SavageSig

A few weeks ago my netbook got hit with some Mal-Ware. It was the Antivirus 2010 bug, which makes your computer act like it has a virus and if you download this one program, it'll fix all your problem. Well, the program itself is a virus. I found this out from doing a quick google search. I also found the appropriate program to kill all running processes (rkill.com) and then I ran Malware Bytes. This killed it, and I haven't had an issue since.

Enter my desktop, which also got the infection a couple of weeks ago. I did the same rigamarole and even added a couple of complete scans by Avast! but it's come back three times now. Just randomly. Like just now, at 3:50 AM in the morning. Am I just getting it again from surfing (are sites like BBC and Google regularly compromised?), or did I get a particularly deadly strain of the virus that requires a little more elbow grease and know-how to kill? Any help will be appreciated.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You get the fake antivirus from websites. Keep track of who you are visiting and let them know their site is infected.

MalwareBytes is an excellent removal tool. Follow their instructions EXACTLY! I've had to do it repeatedly to remove everything from my son's PC. He goes to gaming sites which are particularly buggy.

BTW, Mac users have no room to gloat. Lots of trojans out there for Macs now. Harder to find and remove, too.

You get the fake antivirus from websites. Keep track of who you are visiting and let them know their site is infected.

MalwareBytes is an excellent removal tool. Follow their instructions EXACTLY! I've had to do it repeatedly to remove everything from my son's PC. He goes to gaming sites which are particularly buggy.

BTW, Mac users have no room to gloat. Lots of trojans out there for Macs now. Harder to find and remove, too.

not really gloating, just enjoying the peace of mine before it all comes home. :rolleyes: I know any operating system is prone to getting hit , wether it is Windows, Macs, Linux or what ever, thus I am not one of those running a Mac without any system protection. I fully believe everyone should run the OS they like, I just had my fill with "Windurs". :cool:

go to microsoft website and download windows defender and security essentials, their FREE sign up for the automatic updates. Then go to AVG and get the FREE version, Ive used this combo for years.

Seems like most are picking up the malware from sites like Facelift,Your Space,and other social sites,my son and daughter picked some up from some of these sites and Malware Bytes seemed to clean their machines up.The reason I never get any viruses is due to the fact I am unsociable and dont frequent them.:shrug::P;)

Edited by krunchnik
spelling

I've worked as a part time computer tech for quite a few years now...

I've found the best solution is to backup your data and reformat the hard drive, reinstall windows and your applications. It is a pain, but not much more than downloading all kinds of scanners and crap, not that they can't be effective. They will all leave traces and what's called "bit rot" where windows never quite runs the same again. A complete reformat is a guaranteed fix. Don't just reinstall windows, do a complete long reformat on the hard drive, also called "writing zeros to the hard drive." Make sure you have your netbook restore cds handy.

For prevention, I haven't had a single bit of trouble since I switched to Mozilla Firefox many years ago... you should definitely use Firefox if you don't already. Also stay current with your Windows updates... can be very important!

AVG Anti Virus is a very effective, and FREE, anti virus program that everyone should use as well for prevention.

Edited by extremescene

Our desktop did something similar I used Spybot S&D, SuperAntispyware, Malewarebytes, and AVG to clean it up and then hid the Internet Explorer Icon and Installed firefox and set it as default browser I have never had a problem since.

I also use a program called secunia which looks for updates for things like flash which is mostly where hackers hide/install their software its easy to use it gives you a link to where you can get the updates.

Guest jackdm3

Regarding the OP's concern about certain sites that seem harmless, every 3 or 4 visits to photobucket I get an alarm that says McAfee prevented a trojan.

Seems like most are picking up the malware from sites like Facelift,Your Space,and other social sites,my son and daughter picked some up from some of these sites and Malware Bytes seemed to clean their machines up.The reason I never get any viruses is due to the fact I am unsociable and dont frequent them.:D:cool:;)

I do Facebook but I don't do the games that they have on it. I've heard that is where these viruses come from. I just communicate with friends and family. It lets me keep up with my nieces that are in college and also reconnect with classmates from 30+ years ago. That has been fun. Even some that have become friends from different internet sites.

No viruses yet. I do use Firefox.

Combofix, if you're proficient with putters. It's very powerful so I wouldn't attempt using it unless you are.

Guarantee you though, if normal virus\spyware programs wont remove your problem, it will.

Quoted for truth.

Seems like most are picking up the malware from sites like Facelift,Your Space,and other social sites,my son and daughter picked some up from some of these sites and Malware Bytes seemed to clean their machines up.The reason I never get any viruses is due to the fact I am unsociable and dont frequent them.:up:;);)

A man after my own heart.;)

Seriously, using the combination of Firefox, Avast, and regular Windows updates, I haven't had a virus or trojan in a long. long time. I did get a virus warning the other night on Amazon.com, so I guess no site you go to is immune from the DB's.