So a guy just walks in to my apartment

Wrangler

I got home about 5:15 tonight. I forgot to lock my door, mostly because I had to go to the bathroom. When I finished sitting on my "porcelain throne" I went into my bedroom to get my 1911 out to clean. I had been keeping this right by my bed lately and it was loaded with one in the chamber. I had my G26 on my hip IWB, also loaded. As I picked up my .45 to eject the mag and clear the chamber I heard my door open. I immediately stopped and listened for about 2 seconds. I flipped off the safety, and walk out of my room with my gun pointing to the door. This guy was just standing in my door way. With my gun pointing at him I asked him who he was, and what he was doing. He responded something in spanish and I couldn't understand him. While watching his hans, I said you need to leave now. He didn't move. I repeated myself and pointed to the door. All I could understand was ok, and he left.

I then called my friend who is a cop in the area to file a report. He came over took my report and laughed. He said that guy was luck I didn't shoot. He was probably just a worker in the the complex doing some paint work.

What a night.

Looking back I am trying to think if I should have done anything different (besides locking the door) Any thoughts from you guys?

Wrangler

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all seriousness I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing. Luckily I live in the country so anyone coming through my door in that manner is prone to see a gun in their face.Even my family knocks !!! I'm not saying I draw everytime I hear a knock, lol, but I make sure to have something close by at all times.

And while there may be a language barrier I think the gun alone should be a universal sign for RUN AWAY QUICKLY !!!

Guest jackdm3

The condition where you are at the ready, gun down somewhere between you and the BG. Condition Red is where you know the threat is real and you have it trained on the target/BG.

He responded something in spanish and I couldn't understand him.

Wrangler

Maybe I shouldn't have had that mexican for lunch.

:bowrofl: Did you have a bottle of chianti and some fava beans?

I don't know if I would not have shot the guy. Regardless the language barrier or race no one should just walk into your home. Had that happened at my home my wife and daughter would be wanting to move (my daughter has a friend who was a victim of a home invasion and she (my daughter) refuses to stay home alone). When we were living in our midtown apt we had a contractor fall thru the roof. The guy scared my wife so bad that I had to buy a house the following week. I guess I need to work on my self control, but there is something that bothers me about letting that guy walk out of the house.

I put some thought to it and you really did handle it well. I will keep that in mind should I encounter a similar situation. I just can't stand the thought of a stranger in my home.

Edited by LINKS2K

I think you did well. I am pretty sure I would have been straight to "red" as well; I think someone coming into your house uninvited automatically takes you there.

I am glad you were finished with your business when this all happened. I know someone who had the BG come into the bathroom while they were on the throne. The only good think about that is they were in an appropriate position to have the :bowrofl: scared out of them.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Good Job not shooting him, but I'd bet you wont forget to lock the door again anytime soon.

While I would tend to agree with Erik on holding him, the language barrier may have made that difficult so all in all you done good.

And at least you finished your initial business before having to deal with the "Surprise" business...It could have been a little more difficult if he had caught you with...........Well.... your pants down :bowrofl:

Yeah, don't do like John Travolta did in Pulp Fiction and leave your Uzi out on the kitchen counter when you take a dump. Take it in there with you. He gave Bruce Willis a freebie.

While I did have my G26 still in the holster, maybe I should just take my AR and sit it beside my throne next time. Of course, then he might have crapped his pants.

When I was pointing my gun at him, I didn't have my finger on the bugger, but it was ready. Took a good hour for my heart to stop beating so fast.

Guest jackdm3

I'm not saying you F'd up. I'm just asking "how many milliseconds would it take to bring your aim from 8' in front of him to right between the eyes?" You said he stood in the doorway and you did NOT say he had a weapon. I know that Castle Law protects YOU, you can easily dispatch him from where you are. Your cop friend giggled at the outcome and dismissed his actions. I wouldn't have. It WOULD be hard to defend yourself in court if he had no weapon. I say, "See his 'weapon' and plug away!" Kill him twice, but make sure. If you got jumpy and only shot the carpet or the door, you wouldn't have killed a drunk or lost man. You KNOW he nor any of his friends will open your door again.

From Jeff Cooper:

• White - Unaware and unprepared. If attacked in Condition White, the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy or ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty, your reaction will probably be "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."

• Yellow - Relaxed alert. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself." You are simply aware that the world is a potentially unfriendly place and that you are prepared to defend yourself, if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and realize that "I may have to SHOOT today." You don't have to be armed in this state, but if you are armed you should be in Condition Yellow. You should always be in Yellow whenever you are in unfamiliar surroundings or among people you don't know. You can remain in Yellow for long periods, as long as you are able to "Watch your six." (In aviation 12 o'clock refers to the direction in front of the aircraft's nose. Six o'clock is the blind spot behind the pilot.) In Yellow, you are "taking in" surrounding information in a relaxed but alert manner, like a continuous 360 degree radar sweep. As Cooper put it, "I might have to shoot."

• Orange - Specific alert. Something is not quite right and has gotten your attention. Your radar has picked up a specific alert. You shift your primary focus to determine if there is a threat (but you do not drop your six). Your mindset shifts to "I may have to shoot HIM today," focusing on the specific target which has caused the escalation in alert status. In Condition Orange, you set a mental trigger: "If that goblin does 'x', I will need to stop him." Your pistol usually remains holstered in this state. Staying in Orange can be a bit of a mental strain, but you can stay in it for as long as you need to. If the threat proves to be nothing, you shift back to Condition Yellow.

• Red - Condition Red is fight. Your mental trigger (established back in Condition Orange) has been tripped. If "X" happens I will shoot that person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper