Cool New TN 1911 Manufacturer

Guest C3Defense

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

Let's talk metals. (5 years here)

It's a small shop, as are a lot of start-ups. I'm thinking they may be doing their casting elsewhere, since I see no heatstacks. That would certainly explain the cost still being higher than I was expecting. It's not exactly lesser than a Kimber. I thought they could do their own pouring with Millington being a concrete and iron part of town.

B & J Machine Works

5599 Old Millington Road

Millington, TN 38053-8305

Get Directions

(901) 357-9162

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=38053&vps=2&sll=35.27867,-89.971413&sspn=0.862114,0.87204&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Millington,+Tipton,+Tennessee+38053

Google Maps won't let me show the zoomed aerial.

Edited by jackdm3
Let's talk metals. (5 years here)

It's a small shop, as are a lot of start-ups. I'm thinking they may be doing their casting elsewhere, since I see no heatstacks. That would certainly explain the cost still being higher than I was expecting. It's not exactly lesser than a Kimber. Some of that cost may be to replace that rusty roof on the smaller building. I thought they could do their own pouring with Millington being a concrete and iron part of town.

B & J Machine Works

5599 Old Millington Road

Millington, TN 38053-8305

Get Directions

(901) 357-9162

38053 - Google Maps

Google Maps won't let me show the zoomed aerial.

Well I am sure they use somone else's slides and frames. That is not uncommon. Even many medium sized manufacturers use others slides and frames and other parts.

The truth is custom 1911's and custom makers have always been a huge part of the serious 1911 shooting community. That is nothing new. In the last 10 years MIM parts and computerized manufacturing improvements have made them more accessible to a greater amount of the population. It used to be people bought a basic pistol and had it customized to one degree or another, but they used to be even more built out than they are in general now.

Actually customized 1911's are still about the same cost as they were 15-18 years ago.

Guest C3Defense

Ok, I got a return e-mail. The Slides and the frames are not castings, they are forged. Also, the slie stop is designed for guys with smaller hands. The owner of the company had issue with reaching the slide stops on other models.

I ordered a Stinger! I personally am excited about a Tennesse 1911 manufacturer that makes the entire gun. Lets give them a chance and see how they perform.

Again, I'm pumped about the TN factor.

Ok, I got a return e-mail. The Slides and the frames are not castings, they are forged. Also, the slie stop is designed for guys with smaller hands. The owner of the company had issue with reaching the slide stops on other models.

I ordered a Stinger! I personally am excited about a Tennesse 1911 manufacturer that makes the entire gun. Lets give them a chance and see how they perform.

Again, I'm pumped about the TN factor.

Hope they gave you a really deep discount, or even loan it to you to test.

I wouldn't spend that kind of money on serial #1 of anything unless I

knew it was going to have major collectors value. That's a lot to spend

on a unknown product.

Guest C3Defense
Yes.. and pay that big price for mexican parts.

Seriously? What in the world does this mean. They say 100% made in the USA. Where do you get Mexico? Come on people. The least we can do is give a local company a chance before we go starting this kind of stuff.

I am personally excited about getting my Stinger. I'll try and give a full evaluation to the best of my ability.

Seriously? What in the world does this mean. They say 100% made in the USA. Where do you get Mexico? Come on people. The least we can do is give a local company a chance before we go starting this kind of stuff.

I am personally excited about getting my Stinger. I'll try and give a full evaluation to the best of my ability.

He was refering to Kimber, not this company lol. Kimber uses MIM parts? (made in mexico lol)

Guest BigShot
Umm...MIM doesn't mean Made in Mexico.

No... it's a process sorta like glued fiberwood only for metal. Instead of forged or cast, they use F16 wing glue or something. :screwy:

Yeah exactly. I still don't understand where the Mexico thing came from.

MIM- Metal Injection Molding

And as long as these are parts are not then polished or tooled they are just as good as any other parts. It's when they are messed with, which weakens them and leaves them prone to breaking, or used in certain components that they are cheapening the gun.

A gun with the very best parts is always like anything else a cut above. But MIM parts are faster and cheaper to make and as long as they are used in places where most good manufacturers use them, there is no issue with them at all. They just shouldn't be used for certain parts, ever.

That along with advances in CNC and computer run machinery are the reason 1911's have become more popular as they are now more affordable. Even Made in America 1911's.

Edited by Warbird
I KNOW WHAT METAL INJECTION MOLDING IS! WHAT DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH MEXICO?????????????????

Do I not come across properly in my posts? I am not the one that posted MIM = made in Mexico. I know what MIM is. It is NOT made in Mexico.

I understand you know what it is. I was simply expanding on your post to state for those who don't know the meaning and explanation of MIM. After you, several made mention of processes and such and I thought I would explain it. That's all. :hyper:

Edited by Warbird