Sign at Walgreens

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest redbarron06
Walgreens doesn't sell alcohol in TN, does it? And even if they did, they sure as hell don't serve it, so that sign doesn't mean a damn thing, right?

I think by law an excpetion is made for HCP carriers as long as alcohol is not being sold for consumtion on premisis.

Guest jackdm3
I think by law an excpetion is made for HCP carriers as long as alcohol is not being sold for consumtion on premisis.

That's the part that creates "problems" until actual cases set precedent.

Otherwise, "As you were."

Guest Bronker

Old law. Their ignorance makes the sheep feel all safe and fuzzy. Ignore it. And for Pete's sake don't point out to the the error...who would do such a thing you ask? Look all around you.

Old law. Their ignorance makes the sheep feel all safe and fuzzy. Ignore it. And for Pete's sake don't point out to the the error...who would do such a thing you ask? Look all around you.

I'm with you Bonker. Seriously though, I believe the HCP is a defense so it does not apply, at least where alcohol is sold for off premise consumption. An LEO explained to me once that in their opinion, the law was still in effect for those who did not have a HCP but I then asked "Isn't it against the law for them to be carrying around a gun anyway?" to which he didn't really have a good answer other then yes.

Still though, if I were to accidentally expose my gun and the clerk behind the counter saw it after staring at the sign every day, wonder how they'd handle it?

Guest Bronker
I'm with you Bonker. Seriously though, I believe the HCP is a defense so it does not apply, at least where alcohol is sold for off premise consumption. An LEO explained to me once that in their opinion, the law was still in effect for those who did not have a HCP but I then asked "Isn't it against the law for them to be carrying around a gun anyway?" to which he didn't really have a good answer other then yes.

Still though, if I were to accidentally expose my gun and the clerk behind the counter saw it after staring at the sign every day, wonder how they'd handle it?

I agree David.

I just go about my day. Concealed. Careful. Cautious.

Much like I handle all aspects of my life anyway. Below the radar. Quiet existence (that's biblical by the way...go read I Thessalonians 4:11-12 "Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, 12 so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody")

I have a right to carry in the open and scare all the sheeple. I just don't. If it's an accidental exposure of my gun, and someone freaks out...oh well.

They'll live.

So will I.

Edited by Bronker
Ummm, I believe that sign is still required by state law ...

What IS the code for this, anybody know?

It's not in the 17-13 section.

so yeah, it's silly, and REALLY silly that there is a different penalty for illegally carrying a firearm around booze. Illegal is illegal!

Well, carrying "in public" has same penalty as the sign in pic does, Class A misdemeanor.

- OS

• Moderators

I am at work right now (Walgreens in midtown) and we have that same trio of signs posted by the front register. I checked with an officer that happened to be here and he confirmed that the sign does not apply to HCP holders. He also bemoaned the lack of clarity in the laws regarding carry and the slowness in updating the officers on current changes and the difficulty it causes them in properly enforcing the laws. I don't envy him and his brethren.

57-4-203 (k) requires the sign. Still not sure what code is backing up the language in the sign.

Thanks...yeah, I see what you mean, wonder where the actual prohibition is spelled out in TCA, and WHY is it even in there, since it is already illegal to carry without a permit, and the penalty is the same (at least for carrying in public)?

- OS

Lost count of how many times this has come up....

Those type signs are still signs required by 57-3-204(e)(1) - For package places and 57-4-203(k)(1) for onsite consumption locations.

There are left over from the old law. These signs were never intended to prohibit carry, just warn of the consequences of illegal carry.

There are bills in the legislature that will remove these requirements.

HB2770/SB3772 & HB3125/SB3012