inexpensive safe

I've been looking at some of the inexpensive safes and I can't decide what to do. I don't need a $2000 safe. I just need something to keep my 8 month old who is getting more mobile out of the guns. I really don't want to spend over $500-$600 on a safe right now. It doesn't have to be fire rated. Just something to protect my guns from her and thiefs.

Any suggestions? I've looked at a stackon at dicks for $399 and I saw a Winchester at a local shop for $499.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Espanola

Wow, how strong or big is your baby!? :rock:

Actually, either of what you've mentioned would work fine for what you're looking for...I'd just go with what you liked best or cost less.

Personally, I prefer something I can mount to the floor and wall...

I know that you said that you want an inexpensive safe, but you could budget twice of what you want to spend to get a decent one. You may have to wait a little longer before you purchase one, but it would be worth it. Besides guns in my safe, we keep some emergency cash, insurance papers, family photos, income taxes, the wifes jewelery, birth certificates and other things that can't be replaced. Most of the more important papers are in a small fireproof safe inside the big safe. Think about it.

You may have to wait a little longer before you purchase one, but it would be worth it.

Uh, No. If he's got to keep his kid out of his stuff he needs to do it now, not when he's saved and budgeted $2,000, or so. My kid is 20 months now and he's lots of fun but he's at times he becomes a small, unstoppable whirlwind. His favorite place to play is in my closet and around my bedside table. After seeing how easily he defeats most of the Babies R' Us childproofing junk, I keep my guns locked up and I don't trust anything to keep him out unless it would deter an adult. I'm looking forward to seeing the answer to his question in his price range. He can always get a nicer safe later and just use whatever he buys now for ammo and accessories.

Edited by JReedEsq
Guest drv2fst

I have two large FireKing safes that I was planning to use as gun safes but just never got around to it. They are keyed safes not combination. They are fire rated. They are very heavy. They are 3 ft wide by 6 ft tall by 1 ft 7 inches deep. They each have two doors that open out wide. They each have 4 shelves that can be moved to any height in the cabinet. I bought them from a warehouse. They retail for about $4,000 each (can you believe it?) The real street price is more like $2,000 each. I'd let them go for $600 each.

A Stackon gun cabinet will keep your kids and all but a determined burgler with time on his hands away from your guns. Do bolt it to the floor and wall in the corner of a closet. Academy Sports has some of the best prices; they have an "8" gun cabinet for $99. Some times you will see these in a Wal-Mart. A good rule of thumb is to buy one larger than you will need and also figure on the safe holding less guns than advertised. So that 8 gun cabinet is really a 6 gun cabinet.

Uh, No. If he's got to keep his kid out of his stuff he needs to do it now, not when he's saved and budgeted $2,000, or so. My kid is 20 months now and he's lots of fun but he's at times he becomes a small, unstoppable whirlwind. His favorite place to play is in my closet and around my bedside table. After seeing how easily he defeats most of the Babies R' Us childproofing junk, I keep my guns locked up and I don't trust anything to keep him out unless it would deter an adult. I'm looking forward to seeing the answer to his question in his price range. He can always get a nicer safe later and just use whatever he buys now for ammo and accessories.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Our son just turned 2. ;)

I have the Stack-On 8 gun safe. It has holes and brackets to mount it to the floor and walls but I've got it wedged in behind some door moulding so it's not going anywhere. By the time my young'un is big enough to pull it over on himself, he'll deserve what happens if he does.

Sitting on top of that, I have a Stack-On pistol safe with electronic lock. I store my pistols, two of which stay loaded, in here.

Ammo is in surplus cans that he's not strong enough to open yet. All of my rifles, shotgun, and unloaded pistols have trigger locks installed inside the safes.

Neither are big, fancy, a deterrent to theives, or fire-proof. But they do 100% of what I need them to do, which is keep my kid out. Combined, just under $300.

I might have to check that one out. I'm gonna be in jackson tomorrow and it says they have one.

Let me know if they dont. Last I checked, the Bartlett store had a few. I could probably even help you get it if you needed me to.

If your just trying to keep the kid out of the guns just lock a closet or use trigger locks on the ones your arent needing HD ready.....that being said I have really liked my $600 Stack-On safe I got from Dicks 2 years ago.

I've been looking at some of the inexpensive safes and I can't decide what to do. I don't need a $2000 safe. I just need something to keep my 8 month old who is getting more mobile out of the guns. I really don't want to spend over $500-$600 on a safe right now. It doesn't have to be fire rated. Just something to protect my guns from her and thiefs.

Any suggestions? I've looked at a stackon at dicks for $399 and I saw a Winchester at a local shop for $499.

If your just trying to keep the kid out of the guns just lock a closet or use trigger locks on the ones your arent needing HD ready

I agree. Cheap fire safes won’t protect your guns in a fire, so why pay the extra money for them if you don't have it to spare? A locked closet door will stop little kids and cheap metal boxes will stop big kids.

I got a stack on 16 gun safe from amazon for 379.99 No taxes and the best thing was it was delivered and set in place for free. Best deal I could find on one this size and I didn't have to worry about getting it home.

Amazon.com: Stack-On GSB-16-DS Security Plus 16-Gun Safe, Black: Home Improvement

Thats the one I saw at dicks sporting goods the other day. Thats alot better deal than dicks. Thanks for the link.

Guest twelvevoltman_69

If I were in your shoes I would build a safe out of wood, instead of buying a cheap safe that isn't all that secure. After all, your main goal is to keep the weapons out of the hands of an 8 month old. That cheap wooden "safe" will do what you want it to do until you are employed again and can afford to buy something more secure. I too am in the market for a safe. Over the Christmas Holiday Tractor Supply had one on sale that my g/f wanted to get me. We looked it over and decided to pass on it. It only had locking bolts on one side. Watch a few YouTube videos and you will see how easy it is to get into one of the "cheaper" safes. I decided to hold out till I can afford something that will at least make it a challenge for a thief.

No one want unauthorized persons messin' with their guns. Having said that, with kids it is just or even more important to lock up the ammo. I read about a kid who lost a finger after slamming a round down on a rock. I also know a guy whose brother dared him to but a bullet in a vise and hammer a nail into the primer. The round hit him in an artery, he is very blessed to be alive.