Anybody shoot older military rifles?

Guest coldblackwind
how did it do??

Well...it was heavy, and we never got a shot all season (we were hunting about 2 acres, and could only shoot 1 direction, best we could find that season), but I'm sure it would have put one down had I took a shot!

Guest mgjohn

I do when ever I can. Love the old military guns. Wish I could still get 8mm for less than 5 cents per round.

98 Mauser's

M44 Nagant's

91/30 Nagant

#1 MK3 Enfield

#4 Enfield's

#5 Enfield Jungle Carbine

03 Springfield (mostly a safe queen)

M1 Garand

45/70 Trapdoor (H&R repop)

FR-8's

Guest gcrookston

I've given up shooting the older guns. In my predicament, breakage and wear became an issue. A 1927 NM B model Springfield 1903? A BNZ42 double claw mount, all matching? How about a Colt 1911 ser# 24212, a first delivery in April, 1912?

My c&r guns seem to take the back shelf, are getting sold off, for guns I feel comfortable shouting. I don't want the wear and tear and the threat of breakage.

I've given up shooting the older guns. In my predicament, breakage and wear became an issue. A 1927 NM B model Springfield 1903? A BNZ42 double claw mount, all matching? How about a Colt 1911 ser# 24212, a first delivery in April, 1912?

My c&r guns seem to take the back shelf, are getting sold off, for guns I feel comfortable shouting. I don't want the wear and tear and the threat of breakage.

That's why Mosin's are so much fun. They are cheap and plentiful. I doubt the 400-500 rounds I put through a year are going to wear mine out.

• 2 years later...
Guest BroRay

I just joined this forum to learn more about the old military combat rifles. I have been reading some of the comments and you guys seem to know what you are talking about. I would like to buy one one of the old riflles that I can take to the range regularly. I have several Civil War original carbines that are just to look at and admire, and I would never dare shoot one. I have been thinking about looking into buying an original 1903 Springfield or an Mi Garand, but I feel that I need to get smarter about it before I do anything. I would appreciate any advise or comments from those of you who really know the subject.

I have tried out any number of them but only one stayed with me, my 1909 mauser. I am very, very tempted by an enfield, and mildly tempted by the price of a mosin, but at the end of the day I only get to shoot long range a few times a year, and for those, I take the 1909, and would not have the time to really enjoy the others. So I just stick to the one that I have the time to enjoy and talk myself out of buying more stuff that would just take up space. If I could shoot every day, I would be one of those guys with a room full of old guns (and new ones too).

There was a time when 7,92x57 hung the moon in my sky. There simply was no other cartridge worth my time. I migrated to .308 and WestwindMike ended up with my last 8mm. I am REALLY into my Ishapore and it takes up much of my time. One day I will have an Israeli Mauser and I will likely not shoot much else afterward. To me, that's the king of all mil-surps.

I don't get to shoot my rifles much either, but I keep 'em anyway. I just think old battle rifles are neat. "O' the stories they must have....".

Lol, sometimes. I am 100% sure I can lay out the entire history of mine:

1908-9: built in germany and test fired

1910: shipped to argentina and put in a warehouse

1950: someone found the warehouse and was like "so what we gonna do with these heavy old things"

1965 or so: roughly stacked, scarring the wood. Sold to Dad who wanted to make a deer rifle -- but did not after seeing its condition.

2009 100 years later, it gets shot for the first time since it was packed in what seemed to be 10 pounds of cosmo. Probably for the first time since it was made.

Not exactly the most historic piece in the world!

There was a time when 7,92x57 hung the moon in my sky. There simply was no other cartridge worth my time. I migrated to .308 and WestwindMike ended up with my last 8mm. I am REALLY into my Ishapore and it takes up much of my time. One day I will have an Israeli Mauser and I will likely not shoot much else afterward. To me, that's the king of all mil-surps.

I don't think the minor variation in bullet diameter and weight matter much in the family. 30-06 or 303 brit or 8mm mauser or even 308, they are all pretty similar and all excellent cartridges chambered in a number of great pieces. I hope you find the israeli you seek!

Edited by Jonnin

Lol, sometimes. I am 100% sure I can lay out the entire history of mine:

My K31 still has the name & address of the Swiss citizen to which it was originally issued under the butt plate. A friend has a couple old Egyptian AK's with tally marks and "trench art" in the stocks. He's also got an FAL with the rack number still painted on the stock. I know I'm weird, but I think that stuff is neat.

every one I own I shoot I will not buy one if I cannot fire it. Yup some think I am crazy and these guns should not be fired due to the collectable reasons, but ehh thats what they were made for.

• Like 1